Mysterious death reignites vCJD fears

Michael

歌舞伎
Valued Senior Member
So far, 160 people in the UK are known to have died from variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, but all of them have had the MM variant of the gene that makes prions - the proteins which become misshapen when the disease takes hold and fatally clog up the brain. About 40 per cent of the UK population carry the MM variant, which occurs when two copies of the amino acid methionine are present at a specific site in the prion gene.

Now, a similar but not identical case of vCJD has killed a 39-year-old woman with the VV variant of the gene, which carries two valine amino acids at the same position

I find this sort of thing so scary. Freakish scary. I was in England for a brief stay and I think I had some beef there? I hope not. I sort of remember that poor Japanese guy who visited and later died from vCJD.

Has vCJD been found much outside of England?

Wow it is scary. I assumed that living in the AU I was pretty safe. Also, I don't eat much beef. BUT if I go out to eat I like a porterhouse steak rare. I usually go for pork in Thai and Indian.

I did eat a bit of Vietnamese special soup in Vietnam - that's a bit of a worry.

Oh man - this looks so yum!

526980499_9e000fe76b_o.jpg

I dated a vegan once - I love nut burgers! BUT nothing tops a med-rare bloody porterhouse! (except lobster ;)

Why do they continue to eat beef? Its like having unprotected sex. Just not worth it.

160 people out of several million? Food safety has never been better.

What we will eventually find out is that the victims have manganese poisoning.

This is a good point but what if more people end up with Alzheimer's and similar neurological diseases when they are in their 50s or 60s from having eaten these prions?

Well it's possible, but based on the number of health scares we get in this country (U.K.) I'm not getting overly worried.

Back