My theory to destroy viruses.

data2.0

Registered Senior Member
Since my immortality theory didn't get a response I was looking for I have one of my other theories. I'm not really sure about anything I say in this post but I think that White blood cells adapt to viruses and bacteria when they encounter them. So what I think is, we can take WBCs and expose them to viruses outside of the body.If the WBCs die we clone it from its remains and expose it to the virus again with the expectation that it started to adapt to the virus. We repeat that process until the WBC can defeat the virus and then we can use it to cure people. I suppose the difficulty would be that it can only be used for the donor of the WBC but we can perhaps work around that. I suppose nanites could be easier, cheaper, and more effective but you know once its done the cell can reproduce itself.

Have you ever heard of a vaccine? :confused:

Why yes I have. Are you saying that my idea is just a vaccine or that people should just get vaccines instead? I don't think there is a vaccine for HIV. This would be a solution where normal vaccines fail. Sort of like how doomsday was created in superman.

Hmmm. I am not sure how well white blood cells can be cloned? I am not sure if their life cycle is the same as normal cells.

one of the huge problems is that the rate of mutation in virus's is really high. that is why when they give you anti-retrovirals for hiv they give you a suite of them and they frequently change the type administered is because the virus's adapt to the drug administered very quickly.

so even if you did create a super white blood cell I am not sure if it would be effective for very long as it is likely that the virus would have evolved.

I don't think the clone of the dead white blood cell would prove any different then the original. Hayden is right, the problem with viruses is that they mutate very easily so instead of aiming to make the white blood cell immune to a certain type of virus I think you would have to make it stronger against everything in some way. If we had all steroid pumping super white cells we could probably fight off anything and everything would be really cool until you get an autoimmune disease :s

Nice idea, but probably wouldn't work

It's an interesting idea, but it probably wouldn't work for the same reason that viruses haven't been eradicated yet. Viruses are tenacious little buggers, and as the "super cells" gained resistance to them, they would adapt to circumvent that resistance, and the status quo would be preserved. It's another case of the Red Queen principle.

Back