My mum would like to know...

visceral_instinct

Monkey see, monkey denigrate
Valued Senior Member
What's the normal heart rate for a 54 year old woman? My mum wants to know so she can measure how fit she is.

read-only did you know that off the top of your head or did you have to look it up?

I was about to go and grab my text book to look the bloody formumla up when i saw your post

Well done either way

read-only did you know that off the top of your head or did you have to look it up?

I was about to go and grab my text book to look the bloody formumla up when i saw your post

Well done either way

Thank you. :) It was both, actually. I thought I remembered it correctly but still took the time to verify it beore posting. (It's always a good idea to check one's facts before handing out information, right?) ;)

I'm a 64-year old man and my resting pulse is in the low 60s. But my wife's is much higher, closer to 80. We both work out and keep in good shape.

About 102 - 173, max 206
173 is "normal" only during extremely heavy exercise. The layman's formula for maximum allowable and attainable heart rate in a healthy person is 220 minus your age, which is around 200 for a very young adult and down in the 150's for me. You shouldn't sustain that rate deliberately except under professional supervision.

Exercise counselors give various recommendations for heart rates during a workout, ranging from 65% to 85% of maximum. The theory is that a higher rate will increase muscle strength rather quickly and cause your body to metabolize fat for weight loss; whereas a lower rate ("aerobic") will strengthen the cardiovascular system, which will both increase endurance and reduce the impact (but not necessarily the probability) of a heart attack. (If I don't have that backwards!)

If someone's resting pulse is very far above 50% of the maximum pulse for their age, they might want to discuss it with their doctor. Everybody's different and it might be normal for them, but it's unusual enough that I wouldn't advise taking it for granted.

“ Originally Posted by Read-Only
About 102 - 173, max 206 ”

173 is "normal" only during extremely heavy exercise. The layman's formula for maximum allowable and attainable heart rate in a healthy person is 220 minus your age, which is around 200 for a very young adult and down in the 150's for me. You shouldn't sustain that rate deliberately except under professional supervision.

Yes, Fraggle, that's exactly what the 173 represents in what I said above. The formula you quoted is exactly what you said it was - just a general layman's guide. For a person of 17 - which is what was asked about - the numbers I provided are the actual accurate ones. The 206 figure is the absolute max for average individuals that age, and a count of 207 or above would warrant the attention of a doctor - there is a very strong likelyhood of some vascular problem(s) present.

Back