My Challenge

Raven

Registered Senior Member
Greetings,
I was having a discussion with a companion about Nostradamous ( I'm not sure if I spelled that right.) We came to a point of disagreement. He thinks that Nostradamous was a seer and I think he was just a poet. In my opinion he wasn't a very good poet. So I told him I'd issue a challenge on line. This is mearly a friendly wager, no money. I challenge any believers of Nostradomous to pick a Quatraine that they believe will happen before the year 2009. I've always seen people claim that Nostradomous made predictions but they quote it after the fact.

This was a big point of disagreement between myself and my father. He was a firm believer in Nostradamus. I think his quatrains are so vague that they can be applied to anything. People like to point out things like his claiming that the New City would be engulfed in flames and say that it referred to 9-11. Well, as many others pointed out, New York wasn't exactly "engulfed", and fires break out in NYC all the time.

Mind if I sit down and watch this challenge with you?

Nostradamous lived from 1503-1566 New York City was founded in 1625 and at the time it was called New Ampsterdam, I doubt he said “New York will be engulfed in flame” but of course he was supposed to be a prophet, right?

You are probably thinking of that Nostradamous E-mail that was going around after 9-11, which was actually written by someone in our own time AFTER 9-11 happened.

Fake:

"In the City of God there will be a great thunder,
Two brothers torn apart by Chaos, while the fortress endures, the great leader will succumb",
The third big war will begin when the big city is burning"
- Nostradamus 1654

Fake:

Century 6, Quatrain 97

Two steel birds will fall from the sky on the Metropolis.
The sky will burn at forty-five degrees latitude.
Fire approaches the great new city
(New York City lies between 40-45 degrees)
Immediately a huge, scattered flame leaps up.
Within months, rivers will flow with blood.
The undead will roam earth for little time.

Fake:

Nostradamus' prediction on WW3:
"In the year of the new century and nine months,
From the sky will come a great King of Terror...
The sky will burn at forty-five degrees.
Fire approaches the great new city..."

"In the city of york there will be a great collapse,
2 twin brothers torn apart by chaos
while the fortress falls the great leader will succumb
third big war will begin when the big city is burning"

- NOSTRADAMUS

He said this will be bigger than the previous two. 2001 is the first year
of the new century and this is the 9th month. New York is located
at the 41st degree Latitude.

SpyMoose said:
Nostradamous lived from 1503-1566 New York City was founded in 1625 and at the time it was called New Ampsterdam, I doubt he said “New York will be engulfed in flame” but of course he was supposed to be a prophet, right?

You are probably thinking of that Nostradamous E-mail that was going around after 9-11, which was actually written by someone in our own time AFTER 9-11 happened.

Yeah, that's possible. In all the confusion of actual quatrains and forgeries, I sometimes lose track of what's what. Personally, I think they were the 1500's equivalent to "I am the Walrus, Goo-Goo-Gajoob".

Sorry I've been away for a few days. Sure you can watch Oxygen. I doubt we'll see anything though. People who believe in the "prophecies" always say things after the fact but usually won't try to predict one before an event.

Back