Music liberation

wanderlust

Guru of Groove
Registered Senior Member
Deleted posts

I'm not sure I understand why you choose to delete some of the posts here, Porfiry. I've noticed you do that often, or so it seems. It's your prerogative, of course, but why do it? The most recent one I'm referring to is the comments on your comment about why music belongs to the culture and therefore is not owned by any one individual.

This one:
http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=22961&goto=newpost

Shouldn't free speech be as well? Or is speech here not free. Hey, I don't have a beef with you, just curious, that's all.

I have no problem with Dave exercising his right to delete threads in general -- irrelevent, repetitive or abusive threads in particular. After all, he owns the place. But this particular thread was none of these things. It was a direct response to an extremely controversial statement Dave has made a "sticky" at the top of the forums. Dave even participated in this now-deleted discussion. No, it's not strictly Acquisition-related, so I can see it being moved to another, more appropriate location on SciForums -- which happens all the time. I don't see why the thread was removed, though. Obviously there's plenty of room for legitimate disagreement and intelligent debate on this point. I don't know if the thread was getting nasty or what, since I wasn't following it, but I can't see why Dave killed the entire thread instead of just deleting the offensive posts. This seemed like an unusually and uncharacteristically arbitrary decision.

(My own $0.02 on the [deleted] topic: as a musician, I feel that doing away with intellectual property rights altogether would be very very bad for artists. Statements like "because our society values music, we will find a way to reward musicians for their contributions" are overly naive and optimistic, IMO. I don't support the RIAA and I especially don't support the absurdly long extension of copyright laws (designed primarily to benefit Disney). And obviously file-sharing networks are wonderful for tracking down material that would otherwise be unavailable -- concerts, rare and out-of-print recordings, bootlegs, TV broadcasts, foreign releases, etc. And mass file sharing was a phenomenal wake-up call for everyone in the industry. An entirely new way of distributing music emerged almost overnight, and we'll be dealing with the consequences -- good and bad -- for many years to come. But the bottom line is that artists -- and yes, studio musicians and recording engineers and producers and A&R people and promoters and everyone else employed by record companies -- deserve to be paid for their work. The only even remotely plausible mechanism anyone's come up with for accomplishing this in the modern world is charging royalties for the use of intellectual property. The "virtual tip jar" -- i.e., begging for scraps on your website -- is simply not a viable or sustainable model -- not for the artists, not for the record companies, and not for the fans.)

Last edited:
Hmm. Well said. However, if you have any desire to retain your comments, I'd copy and paste them into a document that lives on your own computer. :bugeye:

at the risk of re-creating the old thread, and incurring the wrath of the censor, i have a couple of comments on what you said, Thad (FYI: I'm not a musician, I write software, so there's an IP aspect to my work).

You neglected to mention a major source of revenue for a lot of musicans: concerts, live performances (and merchandise). So, the revenue picture isn't quite as bleak as you say (altho, to be fair, this applies more to the big name musicans, which already do quite well under the current system - 20% of a billion dollars is still a lot of money (I'm guessing at the 20%, altho I believe it isn't far off)).

Personally, my beef with the industry is the arbitrarily increasing prices, while production costs (of cds, studio technology) go down (at least went down, relative to vinyl records). And the collusion to maintain high prices (which the industry's conviction doesn't seem to have fixed).

The industry has a legitimate monopoly (copyright), for a moderate period, in my view (current rules on duration are outrageous, let me be clear - I don't support them), but with a monopoly, comes great power for excessive pricing that needs to be controlled, and inertia/poor service (sticking with the old, high priced model, lawsuits against fans instead of changing).

Oh, and add the lack of automatic revocation of rights to the artist for works that aren't offered for sale/are out of production.

I very turned off by the crocodile tears the industry cries over copyright violations - they're out to protect themselves, not the artists. If the artists were driving (and, hopefully, with the net, this will start to change), I can't help but suspect this whole situation would be a lot different.

I think all of the uproar misses the fact that the sales people (the record companies), somehow, took this over - it hasn't been about the musicans for a long time.

Everybody seen Janis Ian's take on this (Janis is a musican)?

http://www.janisian.com/article-internet_debacle.html

Originally posted by glenn42
You neglected to mention a major source of revenue for a lot of musicans: concerts, live performances (and merchandise). So, the revenue picture isn't quite as bleak as you say (altho, to be fair, this applies more to the big name musicans, which already do quite well under the current system.

For anyone but the major, corporate-sposonsored, $50-a-ticket and up tours, live performances and touring are largely money-losing propositions. The vast majority of clubs pay very little (sometimes a percentage of the bar, a percentage of the cover charge, or both) or are pay-to-play -- i.e., you have to pay the club owner for the privilege of performing there. Live performances are primarily a vehicle for generating interest in you or your band. But if that interest doesn't translate into some form of tangible revenue -- i.e., CD sales -- then there's no way for you to recoup your losses from your live performances.

Also, there is certainly valid music being made that is not possible or feasible to perform live.

Personally, my beef with the industry is the arbitrarily increasing prices, while production costs (of cds, studio technology) go down (at least went down, relative to vinyl records). And the collusion to maintain high prices (which the industry's conviction doesn't seem to have fixed).

Oh, sure, the industry as it stands is thorougly corrupt in innumerable ways. No one really disputes that. But the question is whether the proposed solution -- throwing out IP altogether -- is any better. We might be better off with reform and regulation (i.e., breaking up the RIAA cartel) than a radical departure from an IP model that's actually worked pretty well for the past hundred years or so.

Oh, and add the lack of automatic revocation of rights to the artist for works that aren't offered for sale/are out of production.

Oh, I know, I know, tell me about it... [My $0.02 -- you'd have to be insane not to self-publish these days. Except I don't want to run my own record label. I want to concentrate on being a musician. Unfortunately, though, I don't have a choice -- if I want to maintain some measure of creative control over my work, I have to put out my own records. But I didn't become a musician in order to spend all my time running an independent record label.]

I am very turned off by the crocodile tears the industry cries over copyright violations - they're out to protect themselves, not the artists. If the artists were driving (and, hopefully, with the net, this will start to change), I can't help but suspect this whole situation would be a lot different.

Many artists are reluctant to speak out against file-sharing for fear of being Meticallica'd. It's not the "cool" thing to do.

As for the industry, I hope I've made my views of the Big Five labels clear enough above to offer some context for this caveat: most people complaining about the "evil record companies" (and they are evil, I think we've established that) don't take into account the service the industry actually provides. For starters: financing the recording of new music -- which is a very expensive proposition for an artist to undertake on his own, all the more so if he can't sell any copies of the resulting CD because people just download it from a P2P service. Connecting artists with experienced recording engineers, producers, studio musicians, and the like. Financing tours and promotion and advertising and videos and in-store appearances and websites and all that stuff. Selecting who gets to record and who doesn't, and who gets promoted and who doesn't -- you may disagree with the choices the industry makes here (and I most definitely do), but it's difficult to argue that this isn't a job that needs doing. Whether they admit it or not, most people want the record labels to tell them what music to buy -- including most people who use P2P services. Gnutella & co are largely dominated by the same artists who are being pushed by the big record companies -- 50 Cent, Sean Paul, Matchbox 20, Eminem, Justin/Christina/Britney, Toby fucking Keith, etc etc. People want to be associated with the image projected by the record companies on behalf of these artists, because it's sort of a cultural shorthand -- if you listen to 50 Cent, you're this kind of person, if you listen to Toby Keith, you're a fucking right-wing shithead, etc.

So, much as it may gall me to admit it, the industry is providing a service that lots and lots of people want. And the fact that some people choose to take that service without paying often has less to do with high-minded principle and more to do with the fact that they are unlikely to face any consequences for their actions. I mean, very few of the people who use P2P services would try to shoplift a CD from the Virgin Megastore...

I would respectfully disagree that the IP model has worked well for the past hundred years or so - once it was extended to unresonable lengths, unreasonable prices, had unreasonable lock-ins (kept the artist tied down), had unresonable lock-outs (kept the material locked up even if it wasn't used, i.e. offered for sale) the model had serious/severe issues. The unreasonable length issue is a deal breaker, in my view, all on its own (altho unreasonable prices is a close second).

These things should be precluded by legislation, in my view. After all, monopolies (and copyright is a monopoly) require strict oversight due to the potential for abuse (actual abuse, in this case). Unfortunately, due to corrupt (in my view) political processes (accepting large amounts of money from single donors), the legislation is going the wrong way, and fast.

However, I, personally, am not against an IP model that doesn't have these issues. Others may disagree, of course, and I'm fine with that.

Sure a service is provided by the industry, but its value is tainted/heavily damaged by the corruption. A lot of felons argue that they provide a 'service', albiet tainted by conviction by the courts (a particularily rich felon (due to retained proceeds from crime, in no small part) from the pacifac northwest comes to mind, but I digress).

A la carte services might be interesting, enforced by legislation - no all encompassing contracts - 6 months of exclusive publishing rights (with a max of, say, 1 year) for y promotion, x tours at a,b,c etc. Its seems to be that aggressive, over-reaching industry attorneys have, over time, completely taken over, and the artists, being focused on music etc. not lawyering, are being seriously shafted, on average.

I can't understand the cost of production argument. Clearly a band needs instruments and equipment to practice, play. In other words, they have it already, or they aren't musicans. So, I guess I'm saying that somebody who is serious about being a musican will have the tools of the trade, their instruments. Clearly they need to be supplemented for a tour, but for a studio?

What is the additional costs to record, with reasonable quality? And with modern equipment, Macs, digital editing equipment - isn't that stuff a ton cheaper than it used to be? And if you rent? Use your basement?

Yes, if you need to buy help - technicans, studio musicans, that's fair, but I thought a lot of that stuff was done by the bands themselves, initially. The initial version doesn't need to be a Cadillac, after all - Chevrolet will be fine, to start.

Promotion is where I take a bit of a hard line: its marketing, and marketing is about pushing a product. If the product is good, the marketing will come. If the marketing is mis-applied (the product is poor), the marketing will fail and quickly be pulled. Since marketers want to make money, they'll push good stuff.

Or, are you saying the market has only so much capacity for music in a given period, and there is more music than the public's capacity to consume it, or rather the marketing for it? If so, talk about a cartel. Still, an inherent cap on marketing (public's ability to digest) isn't a bad thing - I get advertised to more than I like already.

It would be a great idea if Apple started selling independent stuff (apparently that's coming). And what's wrong with alternate distribution channels? Like, put your stuff out for free on the p2p networks. Sure, there is a chicken and egg problem, perhaps there needs to be artist sponsored music reviews - why can't good stuff just be successful without marketing beyond reviews, being on a web site for downloading? If it can't, without a bazillion dollars worth of marketing, something is seriously broken. And what about regional marketing - try marketing it reasonably, but in a smaller area to keep the costs down? Expand as success dictates.

Finally, what about something like shareware/open source software, except for music? Since it works for software, I submit the model has been proven successful - why can't it work for music? And, just like shareware/open source folks - you can do a mix - some free, some pay. You'll have web sites, magazines whose sole purpose is to ferret out good stuff and feature it.

The fact that this isn't happening already, enough to make mainstream buzz, smells funny, altho I may be being impatient. Somebody want to open a web site/webzine/magazine? My apologies in advance if this is already out there and I've missed it.

Frankly, I'm one of those 'Ayn Randers'. And damn proud of it. So here's my stance. It is criminal to regulate music with legislation. If music industries cannot keep encryption up to standard, to beat the crackers, they deserve no credit. The industry needs a class-action lawsuit from every single artist in the field for the capital(ist) crimes commited against them by the companies. My personal morals with Gnutella are many and complex. Large (Metallica, Dre, Dogg) artists that obviously enjoy their wealth I don't mind taking the songs, and frankly I doubt they do either. Their companies, OTOH, do, and should. Artists like move.meant, and TheOffset are perfect examples of artists whose albums I bought even after hearing them over the web.
This was a brain-dump. It doesn't excuse it, but as I said, it's complex, the way I deal with the sharing issue.

give a break. the topic where we should post this is locked. on a science forum-oriented site. isn't repression the antethesis of progress?

Originally posted by glenn42
I would respectfully disagree that the IP model has worked well for the past hundred years or so - once it was extended to unresonable lengths, unreasonable prices, had unreasonable lock-ins (kept the artist tied down), had unresonable lock-outs (kept the material locked up even if it wasn't used, i.e. offered for sale) the model had serious/severe issues. The unreasonable length issue is a deal breaker, in my view, all on its own (altho unreasonable prices is a close second).

Glenn, you misinterpret what I said. There's a difference between "the IP model" in the abstract and "international copyright law as it stands today." I was defending the former, not the latter. The introduction of the concept of intellectual property was, in my opinion, a great cultural leap forward, a democratizing influence, a boon for artistic and intellectual creativity, and a much more equitable system than that which preceeded it. Like I said, the concept of intellectual property is the only system yet devised to ensure that creative work is widely available and yet still affords some measure of protection and compensation to the creators.

However, I, personally, am not against an IP model that doesn't have these issues.

We agree, then.

Sure a service is provided by the industry, but its value is tainted/heavily damaged by the corruption.

Nonetheless, it's a service in very high demand. People actually want large corporations to be the gatekeeper of culture, as evidenced by the type of entertainment most people like to consume.

A la carte services might be interesting, enforced by legislation - no all encompassing contracts - 6 months of exclusive publishing rights (with a max of, say, 1 year) for y promotion, x tours at a,b,c etc.

A six-month cap on copyright would be extraordinarily bad for independent/non-mainstream artists, who often labor for years and years before anyone hears their stuff. Even worse for contemporary "classical" composers, whose works often only begin to achieve any kind of recognition near the very end of their lives -- or after they are dead.

I'm personally in favor of life plus one year (to help the artist's family with funeral expenses, and to allow them to benefit from the usual one-time post-death windfall). Death plus 70 years (the current arrangement) is obviously absurd. As for corporations, I think they should be able to hold a copyright for 10 years, maximum, before it reverts to the original creator. (The creator could then re-negotiate terms every 10 years, or simply hold on to the rights himself.)

I can't understand the cost of production argument. Clearly a band needs instruments and equipment to practice, play. In other words, they have it already, or they aren't musicans. So, I guess I'm saying that somebody who is serious about being a musican will have the tools of the trade, their instruments.

So you're saying that musicians shouldn't have the right or the ability to recoup that investment? Also, most musicians don't own a recording studio, or even a rehearsal space. (We rent, mostly.)

Clearly they need to be supplemented for a tour, but for a studio?
What is the additional costs to record, with reasonable quality?

Anywhere from $40,000 to $500,000, depending on the type of music and how much studio time you need. That's a lot of money to drop on a record you will then have to give away for free. Dave writes "It is morally wrong to deny culture to someone because they cannot afford it." Isn't it morally wrong to deny the ability to create culture to someone because they can't afford it? Do you really want to limit the available pool of full-time professional musicians to exclude everyone except rich kids with trust funds?

And with modern equipment, Macs, digital editing equipment - isn't that stuff a ton cheaper than it used to be?

Not really. Sure, the demo you record in your parents' basement can now sound a lot better than it used to, but to get a professional-sounding record that will allow you to compete with the big guys, you need a real studio and real expertise on the recording/production/mixing/mastering end.

The initial version doesn't need to be a Cadillac, after all - Chevrolet will be fine, to start.

Except it's not. The public isn't interested in buying Chevrolets. Hell, you can't give 'em away. There are hundreds of thousands of indie bands putting their stuff up on their websites or MP3.com or voluntarily uploading it to P2P networks, etc. So far, not one band has broken via this route. P2P networks were supposed to be the big equalizer for independent artists, but so far, that's just a pipe dream. The only people who download tracks from indie artists are the same people who used to buy records from indie artists, i.e., a tiny minority of the population. Everyone else on P2P (probably 95% of P2P users) just wants to get the latest hits for free.

Promotion is where I take a bit of a hard line: its marketing, and marketing is about pushing a product. If the product is good, the marketing will come. If the marketing is mis-applied (the product is poor), the marketing will fail and quickly be pulled. Since marketers want to make money, they'll push good stuff.

I'm sorry -- I really don't mean to offend, but that's just unbelievably naive. "If the product is good, the marketing will come"? What evidence would you offer to support that? Do you really believe the music that sells the most sells because it's the highest quality? Records sell because they are pushed hard by record companies, who control all the avenues of promotion and virtually all of the avenues of distribution -- so much so that most of the demand in the one avenue of distribution they don't control (P2P) is for the same artists they're pushing hard on the radio, in magazines, in movies, etc etc etc. And of course all of these media outlets belong to the same company. If you're an independent artist, what do you think the odds are of having one of your songs picked up in a Warner Brothers movie or TV show? Why on earth would they want to promote you, instead of a Warner Records-affiliated artist?

You can't rise to the top if you can't break into mainstream media, and mainstream media is a members-only club controlled by the same multinational corporations that own the five major record labels. And, if Monday's FCC ruling goes as I fear it will, you can expect that club to get even smaller and even more exclusive.

Or, are you saying the market has only so much capacity for music in a given period, and there is more music than the public's capacity to consume it

That's certainly true.

It would be a great idea if Apple started selling independent stuff (apparently that's coming).

I really really hope so, and I fully support the iTunes Music Store. It's online music done right.

And what's wrong with alternate distribution channels? Like, put your stuff out for free on the p2p networks.

Dude, nothing is wrong with alternative distribution channels. It's our last possible line of defense against the media borg. But it should be up to the artist what to make available, and when, and in what form. I freely share my demo and will mail a physical copy to anyone who asks. When my website goes live, I will make the demo available there, but I will probably pull those tracks when the "official" record comes out -- not because I don't want people to have them, but because the versions of those songs on the release will be way better than the demo versions, and given a choice, I'd rather people heard the album cuts. I will have highlights from all tracks available for free download, and some concert performances -- that sort of thing. And of course, there's no way I can control what happens to my stuff once it gets out there, and I don't actually have a huge problem with that. After all, my main goal is to have lots of people hear my music. But I still need the people who like my stuff to actually buy the record, or I'll have to spend less time making more music for public consumption, and more time on my day job(s).

why can't good stuff just be successful without marketing beyond reviews, being on a web site for downloading?

Because that's not how human beings work. Humans are basically a bunch of non-risk-taking lemmings, and are only interested in things that everyone else is already interested in. There are a tiny handful of people out there who are willing to take a chance on someone they haven't heard of, and those people are the lifeblood of creativity in this world. But there are very, very few of them, and even if what you do would appeal to them, you still have to find a way to reach them, somehow. Everyone else is quite happy to buy (or steal) whatever the media borg tells them to buy.

If it can't, without a bazillion dollars worth of marketing, something is seriously broken.

You said it.

And what about regional marketing - try marketing it reasonably, but in a smaller area to keep the costs down? Expand as success dictates.

Well, obviously, and that's what indie bands do -- build up a regional following through sweat and hard work. But it's a lot harder if you work in a truly alternative genre -- in jazz or contemporary classical music or other forms of creative, experimental music that might not go down so well at the local punkrock dive. There's also the problem of distribution of audience -- there may be 4000 people in the country who like your music well enough to buy your CD, and at $15 a pop you might actually recoup your investment if you kept recording costs down. But those 4000 people may be scattered across the country, and there may be only 10 people in your city who would pay a $5 cover charge to hear you live.

Finally, what about something like shareware/open source software, except for music? Since it works for software, I submit the model has been proven successful - why can't it work for music?

Shareware is only ever successful if there's at least a nag screen -- ask Dave how many donations he got before he added the nag to Acquisition. And shareware registration fees only really start to come in if we're talking crippleware, or a time-limited demo. Even then, piracy abounds, as Dave knows all too well, and he's extremely vigilant about tracking down illegal serial codes and punishing those who use them. There's no way to do that with music -- unless you want to interrupt all of your songs halfway through with a plea for cash.

Anyway, my point is that I believe in the concept of IP. I don't believe people have the moral right to take my music without asking and without paying and do whatever they want with it. I also happen to think it is in the best interest of artists to make a good sampling of their work available online for free -- and many, many do -- but I believe that decision is up to each individual artist.

Last edited:
Nonetheless, it's a service in very high demand. People actually want large corporations to be the gatekeeper of culture, as evidenced by the type of entertainment most people like to consume.

I think you're making a leap that isn't supported by the facts, in my opinion. Sure, a lot of movies, particularily those with special effects, are big budget, which biases them towards large corporations.

However, for large corporations to be the gatekeepers of culture - no way. First of all, they won't do it, they'll do what makes money, or the shareholders will have the head of management. If you're lucky, an enlightened corporate leader may look fondly at certain types of culture, and be more inclined to approve expenditures there, when choosing between equally attractive money making propositions, but that's about as far as it goes.

Corporations are about profit, not culture, period. Which is ok, as long as they're not monopolies. Now if you have monopolies, you don't have competition and if you don't have major regulation/oversight of those monopolies, you have abuse, period.

In my view, the culture comes from the independents, and movie studios, for example, are all gravitating this way (making sure to make accomodations for them, checking out places like Sundance) - like, how many cookie cutter re-makes can the accountants make, anyway? People who are passionate about stuff/creative tend not to do well in large corporate environments, in general. In a sense, the movie business seems further along than the music business (in spite of the fact that its more expensive to make a movie).

A six-month cap on copyright would be extraordinarily bad for independent/non-mainstream artists, who often labor for years and years before anyone hears their stuff. Even worse for contemporary "classical" composers, whose works often only begin to achieve any kind of recognition near the very end of their lives -- or after they are dead.

I'm personally in favor of life plus one year (to help the artist's family with funeral expenses, and to allow them to benefit from the usual one-time post-death windfall). Death plus 70 years (the current arrangement) is obviously absurd. As for corporations, I think they should be able to hold a copyright for 10 years, maximum, before it reverts to the original creator. (The creator could then re-negotiate terms every 10 years, or simply hold on to the rights himself.)

Oops, miscommunication. What I meant was that a marketing company couldn't hold the copyright for a long time, and that it would automatically be returned to the artist after a period (who could then re-negotiate it back to the marketing company, if they wanted). In other words, no long term lock-ins with corporations. 6 months, 1 year, maybe 2 years, whatever is reasonable to get it out there. But not a very long time.

What would seem to be fair, would be a cap of, say, 20 years for copyrights (like patents). This way, the stuff would be out there, making money hopefully, but, regardless, would go into the public domain, without exception. This way, artists would hopefully be encouraged to keep producing. As long as the marketing company didn't keep it, without renegotiation, even for a large part of the period, I could go either way on this, however - life of the artist + 1 year isn't a deal breaker, as long as its to the artist, not a corporation, even if the artist is paid as an employee by that corporation.

Since a patent, also a creative work, is limited to 20 years, why not copyright?

I find it interesting (and troubling) that corporations, the primary user of patents, manage to get only 20 years, whereas consumers, the primary users of copyright, get, forever (the current life of the artist + 70 years will, based on the past, be magically extended once mickey mouse's copyright is about to expire, again).

Think we're saying pretty much the same thing here, other than for duration.

So you're saying that musicians shouldn't have the right or the ability to recoup that investment?

Of course not. I'm talking about what are the actual costs of production, that is, what costs would you incur if you produce, vs. if you don't produce.

Profits from the production, will, hopefully, pay for the equipment and put bread on the table.

Additional costs to record with reasonable quality?

Anywhere from $40,000 to $500,000, depending on the type of music and how much studio time you need.

Maybe I'm just showing how little I know about music production, but I just can't understand how it can be that high, assuming one is trying to keep costs down, isn't doing a video. Remember, I'm talking strictly about productions costs.

Modern equipment a lot cheaper?

Not really. Sure, the demo you record in your parents' basement can now sound a lot better than it used to, but to get a professional-sounding record that will allow you to compete with the big guys, you need a real studio and real expertise on the recording/production/mixing/mastering end.

Maybe the point here is that this money thing has polluted more than just the record companies. Now people are convinced they have to have 128 tracks, a studio etc. etc. Based on past successes, I submit this isn't true.

And musicans like to help out other musicans starting out, don't they?

The public isn't interested in buying Chevrolets. Hell, you can't give 'em away. There are hundreds of thousands of indie bands putting their stuff up on their websites or MP3.com or voluntarily uploading it to P2P networks, etc. So far, not one band has broken via this route. P2P networks were supposed to be the big equalizer for independent artists, but so far, that's just a pipe dream. The only people who download tracks from indie artists are the same people who used to buy records from indie artists, i.e., a tiny minority of the population. Everyone else on P2P (probably 95% of P2P users) just wants to get the latest hits for free.

I respectfully submit that a lot of successful stuff is Chevrolet, as regards studio editing. Consider live recordings, for example.

Now, I'm not saying that production and distribution are all that is required. Some marketing, particularily smart marketing is required. Note that smart marketing isn't expensive marketing.

I'm sorry -- I really don't mean to offend, but that's just unbelievably naive. "If the product is good, the marketing will come"? What evidence would you offer to support that?

I'll pick a couple of examples from the motion picture industry: The Blair Witch Project, My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Production costs $60,000 (as I recall), $5,000,000 respectively. Sales $240,500,000, $356,500,000, to date (sales require an unknown amount of marketing expense to be deducted, of course).

The point is to #1 have basic equipment, skill, (for music) like minded people - a band (unless you're a solo act). #2 make something decent (this is the hard part), spending money is only peripherally related to being decent, witness all the expensive duds (particularily in movies) #3 get it out there, but smartly (blindly dumping on a P2P network is not enough) #4 get it in front of people who want to make money.

That's how the marketing will come. I should have said - if the product is good, and you have some basic capability and work at it, the marketing will come.

It sure sounds to me that a number of music genres have less production costs today - they're just a simpler type of music that is easier to produce. Remember that a lot of music started out on street corners.

Neil Young used to play on Yonge St. in Toronto, originally. Better than practicing in his basement, and I'm sure it was a net revenue positive (i.e. he made gas money/bus fare).

Do you really believe the music that sells the most sells because it's the highest quality? Records sell because they are pushed hard by record companies, who control all the avenues of promotion

And this is the corruption/monopoly part - controlling all the avenues of promotion should be a severe anti-trust violation. And its certainly not true with some types of music advertising - you can run ads in magazines.

Haven't looked into this, but surely record stores accept cd's of independent musicans for sale + demo.

and virtually all of the avenues of distribution -- so much so that most of the demand in the one avenue of distribution they don't control (P2P) is for the same artists they're pushing hard on the radio, in magazines, in movies, etc etc etc.

There are issues being raised with exclusive promotions on radio (Clear Channel, a large radio station company is accused of mandating playlists from head office, specifically), another severe anti-trust violation, hopefully. What happened to having a decent song recording and going down to the radio station and playing it for the dee-jay? Presuambly one of the reasons there are dee-jays is to make these kinds of decisions.

And why can't there be music indie festivals like Sundance is for movies? And a whole industry behind it?

To be fair, Sundance was originally largely Robert Redford, and he had to struggle for a while to do it, initially. Maybe the problem is that music doesn't have a Robert Redford.

And of course all of these media outlets belong to the same company.

Again, the corruption/monopoly issue. We're in agreement that the current system is broken.

If you're an independent artist, what do you think the odds are of having one of your songs picked up in a Warner Brothers movie or TV show? Why on earth would they want to promote you, instead of a Warner Records-affiliated artist?

Because failing to do so is a violation of anti-trust. But, I recognize that currently, this is an issue, to some degree.

You can't rise to the top if you can't break into mainstream media, and mainstream media is a members-only club controlled by the same multinational corporations that own the five major record labels. And, if Monday's FCC ruling goes as I fear it will, you can expect that club to get even smaller and even more exclusive.

The FCC just did it, and you're right, a bad situation is getting worse.

Dude, nothing is wrong with alternative distribution channels. It's our last possible line of defense against the media borg. But it should be up to the artist what to make available, and when, and in what form.
I freely share my demo and will mail a physical copy to anyone who asks. When my website goes live, I will make the demo available there, but I will probably pull those tracks when the "official" record comes out -- not because I don't want people to have them, but because the versions of those songs on the release will be way better than the demo versions, and given a choice, I'd rather people heard the album cuts. I will have highlights from all tracks available for free download, and some concert performances -- that sort of thing. And of course, there's no way I can control what happens to my stuff once it gets out there, and I don't actually have a huge problem with that. After all, my main goal is to have lots of people hear my music. But I still need the people who like my stuff to actually buy the record, or I'll have to spend less time making more music for public consumption, and more time on my day job(s).

No problem with any of this. In fact, I submit that it should be easier - you shouldn't have to make a web site, there should be a massive artist run web site for you that will post your stuff for next to nothing. And, as I was saying, a lot of independent review. And a big Sundance like music festival for all the indie bands, once a year.

Because that's not how human beings work. Humans are basically a bunch of non-risk-taking lemmings, and are only interested in things that everyone else is already interested in. There are a tiny handful of people out there who are willing to take a chance on someone they haven't heard of, and those people are the lifeblood of creativity in this world. But there are very, very few of them, and even if what you do would appeal to them, you still have to find a way to reach them, somehow. Everyone else is quite happy to buy (or steal) whatever the media borg tells them to buy.

For stuff people are only marginally interested in, people go with the mainstream (this is why these people, today, mostly buy pee cee's, in my view).

One would like to think, that, for entainment, people would NOT check with their friends before they decided if they liked something. Sadly, this isn't true, altho in my view, this is a sign of serious immaturity/insecurity.

Its a bit of a leap to infer what it would be like if the media borg was dismantled. Being an optimistic person, I think we'll be pleasantly surprised. I also thing that the various borgs out there will, as borgs always do, overreach and thereby fail. Still, sadly, humanity will lose in the meantime, relative to what could have been acheived.

And that's what indie bands do -- build up a regional following through sweat and hard work. But it's a lot harder if you work in a truly alternative genre -- in jazz or contemporary classical music or other forms of creative, experimental music that might not go down so well at the local punkrock dive. There's also the problem of distribution of audience -- there may be 4000 people in the country who like your music well enough to buy your CD, and at $15 a pop you might actually recoup your investment if you kept recording costs down. But those 4000 people may be scattered across the country, and there may be only 10 people in your city who would pay a $5 cover charge to hear you live.

Then you need to gravitate to a musical area, typically a downtown major city, and try there. Sure, it sucks to move, but sometimes you have to.

Shareware is only ever successful if there's at least a nag screen -- ask Dave how many donations he got before he added the nag to Acquisition. And shareware registration fees only really start to come in if we're talking crippleware, or a time-limited demo. Even then, piracy abounds, as Dave knows all too well, and he's extremely vigilant about tracking down illegal serial codes and punishing those who use them. There's no way to do that with music -- unless you want to interrupt all of your songs halfway through with a plea for cash.

Don't mean to be disrespectful, but so what? The nag screen is a 'how', the model has proven it works - there is lots of good shareware out there. And what about Linux, and open source - that's exploding, in no small part due to disgust with the Microsoft Felon.

Yes, nagware for music doesn't work. But, people get bored of a song, and will go back for more - this is where you ask for $, as you were saying.

What is missing is the big artist's web site/the review industry/the big indie festivals. The itunes indie store could serve as the web site, possibly, but posting has got to be free, and the price has got to be artist settable, and the IntDows support needs to be released. The labels would, of course, notice the buzz and jump in once the stuff reached a certain critical mass.

In fact, now that I think about it, I can't believe that the musicans haven't done this. Talk about a missed opportunity... Sorta like sourceforge but for music. Yes, a backer will be needed - find a big name musican who hates the labels - shouldn't be hard, plus look at all the publicity they'll get. Look at all those fan sites people create - if only that energy could be used to create a generic site, for new musicans.

Anyway, my point is that I believe in the concept of IP. I don't believe people have the moral right to take my music without asking and without paying and do whatever they want with it. I also happen to think it is in the best interest of artists to make a good sampling of their work available online for free -- and many, many do -- but I believe that decision is up to each individual artist.
[/QUOTE]

No disagreement here.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Thad
I don't know if the thread was getting nasty or what, since I wasn't following it, but I can't see why Dave killed the entire thread instead of just deleting the offensive posts. This seemed like an unusually and uncharacteristically arbitrary decision.
I was following the thread closely, and there certainly was nothing abusive or inappropriate in it. It appears that he deleted the thread simply because people disagreed with him and he couldn't make any reasoned responses to people's criticism. The thing that really annoys me is that people were responding to a thread that he started.

What's the point of starting a thread about a highly controversial topic on a message board if you don't want people discussing it?

Back