Music and Garden (New study with Didgeridoos)

Diode-Man

Awesome User Title
Registered Senior Member
Hi Sciforums!

Last year I planted some Zucchinis and Tomatoes in my garden and began experimenting with my PVC Didgeridoo! Studies have already shown that plants grow better when classical music is playing to them, but now I've tested how they grow with a good ol Didgeridoo! (picture below)

http://www.cosc.brocku.ca/Offerings/4P98/gallery/csound/Winter05/bv01ac/didgeridoo.jpg
(not my didgeridoo in the picture, but a good example anyway)

Now for the fun part! The low beaty tunes of the didgeridoo on the plants was quite amazing. On days that I played to the plants the Zuchinnis would grow 1/2 to 1 inch in all directions just over night! When I slacked, they would go back to a snail pace of about 1mm or 2mm a night. The tomatoes would grow 1 inch to 1 1/2 inches overnight when the bassy tunes were played!

The low tones of the didgeridoo opened the pores of the plants, coupled with the carbonmonoxide from my lungs, the plants were thus allowed to absorb the carbon way faster than usual!

God showed me this invention through his way of doing things, so I only participated in its conception. :D

There, its in the public domain and you can't copyright it, but you CAN have fun making your gardens and crops produce faster!

Happy growing!

control group?

It was a common back yard test, this summer I'm doing a real study on it, with a control group of course.

Without instrumentation to measure my findings it was easily detectable with the eyes alone...

There are all kinds of factors involved. Probably when you felt like going outside and playing, it was a nice sunny day anyway.

Either way, playing the didj is awesome.
Get yourself a real one.
I was at a classical performance only a week or so ago '4 winds festival' in Bermagui Australia.
There were accomplished string quartets, operatic singing, celloes a variety and all quality. The closing piece was the didj and not even a particularly great performer just a local koori lad (unlike last year, William Barton - didj maestro)and bugger me if he didn't steal the show. You feel it not only in your bones but in your blood.

A California State Science Fair project deduced from tests that "Silence grew the best and healthiest followed by spoken word (Harry Potter). Classical Music (Vivaldi Concertos) ended up just under spoken word.

"However, you might want to consider this question from another perspective. It is possible that in an experiment, plants which are exposed to music may grow more than plants that are not. Why? Because even though it is unlikely that the plants themselves respond to the music, their caretakers do! Maybe the plants which are exposed to music receive better care than those which do not. Might be worth looking into!"
Both from here.

Plants have no ears to hear and no brain to process or develop musical taste or music appreciation...so any attempts to show relationships between music forms and growth or other responses have met with total failure in the hands of true scientists. This explains the lack of literature...
From here.

...the carbonmonoxide from my lungs...

I hope there isn't a lot of that, or you will be exiting life stage right pretty quickly....I suspect that you meant CO2, carbon dioxide, rather.

I hope there isn't a lot of that, or you will be exiting life stage right pretty quickly....I suspect that you meant CO2, carbon dioxide, rather.

Yes carbondioxide is what I meant. The point of this post is that the energy to play the didgeridoo is coming from my lungs which is automatically coupled with the CO2 that is ALSO coming from my lungs...

Back