Muscle Fiber

Frisbinator

Registered Senior Member
I had always heard that the body does not create new muscle cells, but simply repairs them instead. And then, I've heard that they are currently researching methods on how to allow the body to create new muscle cells. Can anyone shed some light on this?

"Even though humans do not normally generate new skeletal muscle fibers in adult life, the capacity for doing so is not completely lost. Cells capable of serving as myoblasts are retained as small, flattened, and inactive cells lying in close contact with the mature muscle cell and contained within its sheath of basal lamina. If the muscle is damaged, these satellite cells are activated to proliferate, and their progeny can fuse to repair the damaged muscle. Satellite cells are thus the stem cells of adult skeletal muscle, normally held in reserve in a quiescent state but available when needed as a self-renewing source of terminally differentiated cells. Athletes who specialize in muscular strength often damage their muscle fibers and are thought to depend on this mechanism for muscle repair, resulting in regenerated fibers that are often highly branched.

The process of muscle repair by means of satellite cells is, nevertheless, limited in what it can achieve. In one form of muscular dystrophy, for example, differentiated skeletal muscle cells are damaged because of a genetic defect in the cytoskeletal protein dystrophin. As a result, satellite cells proliferate to repair the damaged muscle fibers. This regenerative response is, however, unable to keep pace with the damage, and the muscle cells are eventually replaced by connective tissue, blocking any further possibility of regeneration. A similar loss of capacity for repair seems to contribute to the weakening of muscle in the elderly."

<I><B>Source</B>: Molecular Biology of the Cell (4th Ed) by Alberts et al.</I><P>

I know all that already, I was just wondering if anyone had heard of this new method of creating new muscle fibers, instead of simply repairing the existing fibers with stem cells/fibrolblasts.

So how do people put on extra beef when they weight-train? Do the fibres just getting bet bigger?

Frisbinator said:
I know all that already, I was just wondering if anyone had heard of this new method of creating new muscle fibers, instead of simply repairing the existing fibers with stem cells/fibrolblasts.

Perhaps you should go back and re-read the textbook information that I posted. What you originally said was this….

Frisbinator said:
I had always heard that the body does not create new muscle cells, but simply repairs them instead.

But if you read what I posted you will see that new muscle cells <B><I>are</I></B> sometimes produced in adults. Stem cells can divide to produce <B><I>new</I></B> cells to replace damaged ones. The <B><I>new</I></B> cells contribute to the strengthening of existing muscle fibers and the formation of new muscle fibers. This sort of response is typically seen in athletes and in response to strength training.<P>

Last edited:
Back