Morality - its price in consulting

sparkle

born to be free
Registered Senior Member
Hi peoples of the same trade,

How do you solve the basic conflict in consulting, the inner need to deliver a flawless report with sane recommendations that truly find your agreement or the necessity (sometimes only, fortunately) to prostitute yourself in order to be a technically credible mouthpiece for whomever pays you? And what if the opinion of your “host” is a prerequisite for being paid?
:confused:

A reply

Either do your job and collect a paycheck, or find another way to to influence people to give you money. But mabye, it is not money that you need.

i would say ur in the wrong industry if ur comprimising ur morals to be good for ur boss

i work in hospitality and all though i HATE the hrs i love the work
cooking is so much fun

but anyway, i would be interested to hear more about ur situation and what u feel ur comprimising for u

@machaon
Glad you are a clairvoyant. Please show me where I have asked for a personal advice or ever mentioned those conditions apply to me.

@Asquard
As mentioned above there was no indication that I personally am in such a situation. You ask about the case/s, let me give you some ideas:
--> feasibility studies – I have often seen that things not in the least feasible were recommended (from road construction to other projects, say restaurants), because the developer WANTS them to be feasible. Consultants that expressed some doubt were put off the payroll and others, more willing to bend/compromise/callitwhatyouwant were hired instead;
--> hydropower projects of big scale – everyone knows that their prices always exceed what was foreseen and that the same applies to their impacts. You may say, that was not foreseeable. What I have seen (!) is : it was very well anticipated, just not accepted. Out with the pessimistic consultant, in with the nodding one.
The results of such conditions are that you have very impressive resumees with one job after the other – and then you have those with a rather meagre CV, because often, the more critical consultants are also blacklisted.

Back