Moral Realism

Kayup

Registered Member
Welcome.

Could anyone recommend some reading pertaining to the essay question 'Moral properties are real. Discuss'. Obviously a massive topic and I only have 2000 words to do it in. To narrow it down somewhat, I was thinking of focusing more on something like 'If moral properties DO have some kind of transcendent metaphysical status, how can we know what it is/is there any point in looking for it.

Helpful input (as well as reading suggestions) much appreciated, but things like 'Moral properties ARE real and you can know them only by immersing yourself in <insert religion>' isn't much help to me.

Cheers

Well, Plato always considered Ideas to be real. Contrarely to what most people say, Plato was not an Idealist, but a Realist. This said, Plato explains that humans aspire (or should) towards what is Good. The Idea of Good, for Plato, is as real as an apple pie, the only thing is that it resides in the intelligible universe.
Readings: Republic

Oh, you may want to draw parallels with the Nicomacean Ethics of Aristotle. Aristotle suggests that morality consists of the mean between two extremes. Again, one could argue that "the mean" is real for Aristotle, it is not universal like Plato, but every situation has its mean that is applicable, thus real.

(I am paraphrasing without consulting my books, so check your stuff before writing anything.)

Tiassa, can you make an addition to the forum rules that protect us from posters who just want us to do their homework for them?

It may well be time to write that one down.

Details, details. I'll figure it out.

Back