Moral issue

Share scientific breakthroughs?

• Yes, share scientific breakthroughs.

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • No, make lots and lots of money by selling it.

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

Dilbert

Registered Senior Member
Should one be egoistic (improve ones economy), or should one share (improve science of the world)

a simple question, hard for me to answer on my own.

Dilbert said:
Should one be egoistic (improve ones economy), or should one share (improve science of the world)[?]

I don't think those choices are mutually exclusive. One does make a lot of money while improving scientific knowledges.

For instance, Many Phermaceutacle companies would make a lot of money by selling their products to the masses. Since they are selling to the massive number of people, they can get more statistically accurate data from the drugs they sell, and the data they have got certainly contributes towards inventing better drugs to the masses in the future. Hence good for humanity.

This process is applied virtually all marketed products we see in our society.
best,

And practically speaking - Selling something is usually only the means which leads to sharing of goods/knowledge. That is, if you want to share, you have to sell (especially in America).
best,

Say you make an apsolutly clean form of energy. Totally safe and no waste, no Co2 ect. Now if you keep it for yourself you could make a fortune on it because its so easy and cheep BUT if you did then the world would keep being poluted by cars and power plants ect and that may give your kid or yourself in latter years asma. Which would be better? selling your prosses cheeply so you make SOME money but everyone can use it or being greedy?

When you make your first million dollars then you can afford to employ a committee to find an answer to just that question.....

I have been rich and I have been poor I will take rich any day. You can use your wealth to enhance your life and the lives of those people that you care for. This will not have a negative impact on the people that you are trying to help. Your wealth will also encourage others to take risk in order to advance science and their own interest.

Ideally, all scientific info should be shared, but I'm enough of a realist to see that the ideal way is not necessarily the best way. If all information were shared, there would be a lot less investment in research, because it simply wouldn't be profitable any more.

Back