Mom, 18, accused of slamming baby's head on the floor

Adam

§Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥
Registered Senior Member
TAMPA - An 18-year-old mother was charged with critically injuring her baby by slamming his head against the floor.

Police charged Teran Michelle Hernandez with felony aggravated child abuse. Her 8-week-old baby, Thomas Hernandez, remained on life support Tuesday in the pediatric intensive care unit at Tampa General Hospital.

Hospital staff called police Sunday after Hernandez brought her son in for treatment of a swollen head and convulsions, police spokeswoman Katie Hughes said.

Hernandez had become angry at the infant because he was crying during his bath, Hughes said.

After becoming enraged when she tried to dress him and his clothing didn't fit, the young mother grabbed Thomas by his ankles and slammed his head against the floor, Hughes said.

The baby suffered severe head trauma, she said.

The state Department of Children & Families took custody of Hernandez's other son, Hughes said.

Teran Hernandez's father, Thomas Sayre, said his daughter snapped under the stress of caring for the child and trying to make ends meet. Her husband, Anastacio Hernandez, 31, is an unemployed carpenter, he said.

"It's just an unfortunate accident, at least in my eyes," Sayre said.

Teran Hernandez was being held Tuesday with no bond. Attorney information was not immediately available.

She had been free on a $2,500 bond stemming from a December arrest on domestic violence charges, records showed. She is accused of slapping her husband and striking him in the knee with a hammer.

Source.

After becoming enraged when she tried to dress him and his clothing didn't fit, the young mother grabbed Thomas by his ankles and slammed his head against the floor, Hughes said.

The baby suffered severe head trauma, she said.
Seems the baby was really lucky. :eek:

For all we know it could have been an accident. Just because she has a record of slapping her husband and striking him with a hammer (the article did not say what caused that violence) does not mean she would do such a thing to her son. I feel the police spokeswoman should at least report what the woman have to say about the accident. If she was very worked up by the clothes not fitting the child(I agree she shouldn't be) she could have slapped the child or something. I just can't imagine a person doing that to any child (or even a grown up).

Originally posted by Firefly
Seems the baby was really lucky.
Rabbit's Foot - Lucky
Horseshoe - Lucky
Heads Up Penny - Lucky
4 Leaf Clover - Lucky

Severe Head Trauma - Not Lucky

Originally posted by Pammy
If she was very worked up by the clothes not fitting the child(I agree she shouldn't be) she could have slapped the child or something.
Slap the child? For what? Having the audacity to GROW?

:m: Peace.

Originally posted by goofyfish
Severe Head Trauma - Not Lucky
I just meant, I'd've thought it's skull would've cracked or something, it can't be very thick. :bugeye:

Slap the child? For what? Having the audacity to GROW?
Good one!! :D

man, kids are incredibly frustrating. I loves my children more than I can communicate, but I can understand how a simpleton might harm her child in a moment of rage. sad though... very very sad.

it's amazing how "evolved" people are eh? ehehehehehe. riiiiight.

The mother should be put to death

I second that!

And Welcome to Sciforums Pammy, but I seriously doubt it was any kind of accident at all. She grabbed the baby by the ankles and swung him to the floor? Thats no accident and she should suffer the severest of consequences for this.

5 bucks she gets the baby back within a year.

ill take that bet

there is no way in hell that the child would be lift with her IF she is found guilty (presumtion of inocents rember)

Back