Mob rule?

Bells

Staff member
When I came across this article, I must admit I was a bit horrified.

Accused millionaire businessman Moninder Singh Pandher, 55, who is known as "Goldy", was last night receiving medical treatment after losing consciouness during the beating in a court at Ghaziabad, near the Indian capital.

According to the Press Trust of India, Pandher and his co-accused, his servant Surendra Kohli, were set upon by outraged lawyers and members of the public when they were being taken from the courtroom to the lock-up by the CBI, India's investigation agency.

---------------------------------------

The lawyers and members of the public gallery are said to have been enraged over the killing of at least 21 children - and up to 40, according to investigators - whose skulls and other remains have been found at Mr Pandher's house in the upmarket outer suburb of Noida, a hub of India's IT business.

When details of the allegations against Mr Pandher and Mr Kohli first emerged last month, local lawyers outraged by the nature of the allegations made it known that they would refuse to defend them, which led the Chief Justice of India to say in an interview that everyone accused of a crime, whatever its nature, deserved the presumption of innocence and the right to legal representation.
Link

That everyone should have their fair day in court goes without saying. At first glance of this article, I found it very disturbing that even lawyers participated in the beating of the two accused. How can such a thing happen in a court room? And then I thought about it.

What if it had been my child.. With that thought in mind, I found myself disturbingly agreeing with the 'mob'. Here we have a man from a rich and influencial family, who along with his servant, are accused of killing 21 children in horrific ways. Now being from an influencial family, I would imagine that the accused was shocked to discover that no lawyer would touch this case to defend him. This case appears to be especially henious.

But there is no doubt that as, day after day, and week after week, horrendous details of the alleged crimes against the mostly young children have emerged, passions across India - and especially around Delhi - have reached the point, even among lawyers, that yesterday's scenes were inevitable.

The brutality and the extent of the allegations are such that even the most experienced of investigators have displayed shock and disbelief.

The two men are accused of enticing young children into the house, raping them and then strangling them.

Variations on the allegations involve cannibalism and necrophilia.

As I try to wrangle in my own mind the fairness or due right of a defense that these two deserve when appearing, I find myself saying that I could never agree to defend such individuals. I would imagine they have found other lawyers to defend them. Already the influencial family are pointing the finger at the servant and I imagine this case will get worse as it proceeds through the Indian legal system.

But should the 'mob' rule? I am reminded of the case where an Iranian serial killer who's victims were young boys, was publically assaulted by the families of his victims before being hung in front of the gathering crowd and I remember how uncomfortable I was then too. I feel appalled at the act itself, but also understanding of how some people might want some closure and revenge (especially the families) after something so terrible.

Deep down in my rational mind, I hope that the mob does not rule, because the accused do deserve a fair trial. They have not yet been found guilty, and even the mountain of evidence against them should not have them tried and found guilty by public opinion. To be beaten in a remand hearing is, disgusting, but after what I imagine to be sensationalistic coverage by the local media, the mob did indeed wish to rule and did so.

The people need blood at times. This blood must be given to them in one way or another.

Perhaps gladitorial matches would be better to be returned to. There is a satisfaction in seeing condemned men fight for their lives. The revenues could be used for building roads and schools, also.

Deep down in my rational mind, I hope that the mob does not rule, because the accused do deserve a fair trial.

Fair trial? What's that?

And, Bells, how would you feel about this case if the guy was able to hire a lawyer that was so good that he was able to get him off by some legal technicality or other such legal bullshit? All of it perfectly legal according to the law ....he kills a gazillion kids, but is deemed innocent due to some odd quirk in the law. Would you still feel that he had a "fair trial"?

Does money play a role in "fair trials"? And if so, does that mean that a poor man can't get a "fair trial"? Or do the poor get watered down versions of "fair trials"?

What do I think? I honestly don't give a fuck ...because it won't matter one way or the other what I think. I've spent 62 years giving a fuck, and in all that time, it changed nothing. Perhaps the mob is right ...they give a fuck, so perhaps they should be able to change something. Few of us ever will.

...and even the mountain of evidence against them should not have them tried and found guilty by public opinion.

Hmm, that's not the stance you took in the Senator Foley case, was it? What happened, Bells, change you mind about right n' wrong? :D

Baron Max

I am reminded of the case where an Iranian serial killer who's victims were young boys, was publically assaulted by the families of his victims before being hung in front of the gathering crowd and I remember how uncomfortable I was then too. I feel appalled at the act itself, but also understanding of how some people might want some closure and revenge (especially the families) after something so terrible.

It is true that the lust for revenge can be strong.

Bells said:
Deep down in my rational mind, I hope that the mob does not rule, because the accused do deserve a fair trial. They have not yet been found guilty, and even the mountain of evidence against them should not have them tried and found guilty by public opinion. To be beaten in a remand hearing is, disgusting, but after what I imagine to be sensationalistic coverage by the local media, the mob did indeed wish to rule and did so.

You said it. Everyone deserves a fair trial, and is innocent until proven guilty. Taking the law into one's own hands is hardly justified.

The people need blood at times. This blood must be given to them in one way or another.

Our primitive blood lust is indeed strong in some people.

Prince_James said:
Perhaps gladitorial matches would be better to be returned to. There is a satisfaction in seeing condemned men fight for their lives. The revenues could be used for building roads and schools, also.

Interesting idea. Would the condemned have a say in whether or not they would fight to the death?

What do I think? I honestly don't give a fuck ...because it won't matter one way or the other what I think. I've spent 62 years giving a fuck, and in all that time, it changed nothing.

Maybe that's why you come off as a grouchy, senile old man who just likes to be argumentative. :)

Baron Max said:
Hmm, that's not the stance you took in the Senator Foley case, was it? What happened, Bells, change you mind about right n' wrong? :D

I can almost certainly assure you that your memory is poor if you think Bells did that. I determine this, of course, on your past tendencies to accuse people of the weirdest shit, with no regard as to whether it's logical.

I am reminded of the case where an Iranian serial killer who's victims were young boys, was publically assaulted by the families of his victims before being hung in front of the gathering crowd
And I'm reminded of this. Heh.

_41339852_whispering_203.gif

Our primitive blood lust is indeed strong in some people.
Interesting idea. Would the condemned have a say in whether or not they would fight to the death?

They could choose to fight or be publically executed. Perhaps if they fiought and survived their battles over a long length of time, they could win their freedom back, ala the practice in ancient Rome.

Back