mmm maggots

So is that hunk of meat in my neighbor's trashcan now considered a source of unregulated pharmaceuticals?

Apparently, though out of the trashcan might not be sterile enough. My only question is, how do they make sure they use "sterile" maggots? How do you sterilize a maggot without killing it?

The only thing I can think of is antibiotics... but that's just pushing the use from the patient to the maggots.

SwedishFish said:
they probably just culture them in sterile conditions
Yup, grow them like a farm with sole purpose of medicinal use. The sheer idea though is just unnerving. Small, yellow, maggots crawling over the wound eating away as you feel their every bite.....*shudders*

Once you've seen a racoon being eaten through and through by thousands upon thousands of maggots at roadside on a humid, hot ,steamy, summer day your stomach becomes quite weak to their sight from thereon.

Idle Mind said:
Would you feel them eating away the flesh if it was just dead tissue?
Yes...it isn't possible but my mind will make it so. You know how you see creepy bug on T.V in graphic detail and start feeling as if it was on you....same sort of thing.

SwedishFish said:
But how? It's still hard to chemically sterilize the eggs without killing them, and I'm sure it's pretty hard to get sterile flies that will produce sterile eggs...

to key is to prevent them from picking up microorganisms in the first place by culturing in a sterile environment

You would culture them for several generations before using the maggots, I'm sure. Although, if you bred adult flies in a sterile environment, and grew the young in a sterile environment, then the next generation should be okay for use. The first batch of maggots might even be okay, since they will have only ever lived in a sterile environment.

Swedishfish:
Sure do- saw it on some Geographic show, rows upon rows of tin cans the size of ovens in huge labs breeding maggots in supposed 'sterile' conditions.

They use a mixture of animal blood (lamb or bovine), honey and some chemical who's name escapes me to feed them with- and its pitch black.
You don't get the side effects of leeches, which tend to cut through healthy skin and leave you bleeding in more places than you started out with and you bypass the outcomes of using too much antibiotics- a break in your immune system. Maggots only eat dead flesh.

Patients have maggots sprinkled on their wounds and a bandage is kept over it, and its replaced every other day or so. Incredibly disgusting to watch a nurse peel the shit off and find a wriggling yellow mass squirming underneath- but nicely disturbing.

Ugly little fuckers though- totally out of the question.

Back