Mississippi Mystery? Handcuffed suspect, twice searched, shoots self in car.

Tiassa

Let us not launch the boat ...
Valued Senior Member
The Mystery, or, Best Suicide Ever

I mean ... come on:

A police report obtained by KAIT indicated that 21-year-old Chavis Chacobie Carter had been a passenger in a pickup truck when Officer Ron Marsh found “some marijuana” and plastic baggies in his possession. Marsh also determined that Carter had been wanted on a warrant after he missed a court date for drug charges in DeSoto County, Mississippi.

Marsh then had Carter “exit the patrol unit, placed him into handcuffs, searched him a second time then placed him into the back seat of the patrol unit.”

Jonesboro Police Sergeant Lyle Waterworth told WREG that Carter had been “handcuffed behind his back and double locked, and searched.”

At that point, Officer Keith Baggett believed a passing car ran over a piece of metal in the road because he heard “a loud thump with a metallic sound.” Baggett said he then heard “several thumps” after Marsh released the two other suspects. Marsh motioned Baggett over to the patrol car and said the 21-year-old had shot himself.

When the officers opened the patrol car door, they found Carter in a “sitting position slumped forward with his head in his lap.” The report indicated that Carter was still handcuffed and a small caliber handgun was sitting beside him.

(Edwards)

Left-handed guy, handcuffed behind his back, shot himself in the right temple? Maybe this is a candidate for best suicide ever, but on its face, there are at least a few questions. Namely: Huh? What? How?

But, for now, the Jonesboro Police are ruling Carter's death a suicide.

Notes:

Edwards, David. "Arkansas police claim man shot himself in head despite handcuffs". The Raw Story. August 1, 2012. RawStory.com. August 2, 2012. http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/08/...m-man-shot-himself-in-head-despite-handcuffs/

I found a link for the actual police report pdf . Police Report

I prefer official documentation over news reporter sensationalism any day. I have posted the link before reading it though so I am not commenting on the actual case itself at this point.

Back