Minnesota goes after service stations for charging too little for gas

Tiassa

Let us not launch the boat ...
Valued Senior Member
Yes, really. You did not read that incorrectly. It almost makes sense, and is just a peculiar quirk of the times:

Under Gov. Jesse Ventura, the state adopted a law in 2001 that prohibits gas stations from selling gas without taking a minimum profit. These days, they must charge at least 8 cents per gallon, plus taxes, more than they paid for it.

On Friday, the Commerce Department announced a $70,000 fine against Arkansas-based Murphy Oil for breaking the law at its 10 stations in the state, based at Wal-Mart stores and elsewhere. They also fined Kwik Trip Inc. $5,000 for violations at one station in Apple Valley.

The two are the first fines levied under the law, which is similar to minimum-price laws in about a dozen states. Another two dozen have broader laws banning predatory pricing.
(AP/Yahoo)

So much for the price wars. Should a business be allowed to take the risk of cutting or eliminating its profit margin for any particular reason? I mean, given the other things companies can do to themselves, I don't see how pissing away profits on a price war for gasoline sales is really so bad. Especially at a time like this.

• Howe, Patrick. "Minn. Cracks Down on Underpriced Gasoline." Associated Press. May 28, 2004. See http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040528/ap_on_fe_st/gas_too_cheap_1

Last edited:
They are required by law to price for at least an 8 cent profit per gallon? What kind of law is that. I must not understand buisness.

The law is designed to prevent large corporations from selling a product so cheaply that they wipe out the local companies and then sell the product at a higher price over the long run. If it is a reasonable price then the law makes sense in the long term.

Like laughing weasel said, these sorts of laws exist to prevent what's known as 'product dumping,' which is what economists call it when a company sells products at a loss in order to drive competition out of business – or, more commonly, drive the competition to the brink of bankruptcy and then buy the competing corporations for much less than they're worth.

This was a favorite strategy of large electronics companies in the 1970s and 80s until the government clamped down on it.

Back