Miniture Cows for Pets

you're right

don't farmers for example have their cows, pigs, horses, chickens as "pets"
I don't particularly like to eat meat much but my body craves it at times so I eat it with lots of greens.
Y'know, thats really something, to own a farm for example, and if you're a kid (which children usually have the tendancy to be more innocent and compassionate to animals)-you grow up with sheep and cows, and then you find out they get taken out to the butcher, i mean to me that's just so sad but necessary.
Kind of reminds me of "Charlottes Web"an old classic cartoon where Charlotte is going to be taken out for bacon heaven and this spider saves the pig.
I read an article a few years back when they were going to kill off a slew of sheep because of mouth and foot disease or something pertaining to that. It was right after that mad cow disease incident and the children of that farm were crying and expressing their pain by writing to congress, making pleas and trying the best that they can through public articles to save their sheep.
And another thing that came to my head was the movie "Silence of the lambs" where Jody Foster remembered the pain of the lambs crying. I was just recalling something similar to what I was going through. Strange how we have to adjust our adult minds to the productive stream of the population and their practicality of living.

What is truely truely sad, is when someone refers to Charlottes Web as a cartoon.

I also think of Charlottes Web as a cartoon more than a book because thats what I saw first.

As far as farm animals go my grandma used to live on a farm and tells stories of the things that happened to her like feeding the animals and getting drinking water for the horses.
She is the last person in my family to work on a farm and when she was living on one she still used candles and lanturns!

She really didn't mention animals for food except for when she was older and had her own house my grandpa would hunt for animals and she would cook'em.

don't worry Persol i agree with you it is said . I read the book (the origional of the story) first. What sad is that this a foxnews article.

Why not has a pet pig? Cows are so stupid, pigs man you can even potty train them.

Your right about pigs being smarter then cows.

Pigs are supposed to be one of the top ten smartest animals and I think are ranked just below dolphin intelegence.

And yet they are still used for food?:bugeye:

I think this is part of the reason there are alot of vegitarians.

I usually have a balanced diet consisting of the main food groups both meat and fruit but I usually have more cow meat then pig meat.

So next time you eat bacon remember this.

On the other hand maybe you shouldn't.:eek:

there's this interesting article

on hot dogs, --speaking of eating pigs---

http://webpages.marshall.edu/~ewen/hot_dogs.htm

pigs, lambs(sheep) and most meats are usually black listed out of my daily food intake. In the meat dept, it'll be closer to fish/poultry and that's it. Even after watching the cartoon, *whoops* I mean, the animated-clay version of "Chicken run", it gives a whole new meaning to what a chicken thinks.

I did an essay a couple years ago on farm animals vs factory animals. that was just depressing. farming animals at least treated better and healthier for people but the latter, geesh. y'know even if the companies really need to shell out so many factory animals for distribution, packaging, etc, for people to eat, why not make jobs for people to work on farms and take care of animals there?

It's not easy to judge what anyone else gets out of their relationship with a pet. But it's awfully difficult to imagine how cows of any size could become popular. Elepants, goats, deer, llamas, even horses, many species of hooved animals have personality, but cows seem pretty stoic. And not just because they've been captive-bred for thousands of years. Bison are essentially wild cows and they seem just as dull. I'm sure they have a rollicking good time with each other but they're hard to relate to.

my friend grew up partially on a farm and had a goat, among other farm animals, as a pet. the goat was like a dog to her. one day her parents just cooked it up and fed it to her without telling her. since she was little at the time she didn't find out until years later. she also had a dog and doesn't know what happened to it. i don't think it's any surprise she's a vegetarian/almost vegan now.

They will have to be guinea pig sized before I would get one. Bovines have the worst excretory habits.

Back