Minimum requirements of a religion.

Light Travelling

It's a girl O lord in a flatbed Ford
Registered Senior Member
What would you say are the minimum requirements of a religion?

Would;

1. An object / objects of worship
2. A set of doctrine or fixed teaching
3. A hierarchy or priesthood.

Be enough?

Light Travelling said:

Only 2.
And the doctrine must explain some fundamental needs of people.

comisaru said:
Only 2.
And the doctrine must explain some fundamental needs of people.

Doctrine - a body of teachings.

Medical teachings; Engineering information; the body of scientific learning. All of this is doctrine and all of this explains fundamental needs of people. Is engineering a religion? No a religion needs more than just that.

Cris said:
The object of worship is not real.

So if the object of worship is real. Lets say pagans worshiping a golden bull idol or something. This would then not constitute religion.

Or worship of nature (which is real), as in some druidic or pagan practices, could not be religion.

No a religion needs more than just that.

Light,

No I disagree. Both your examples, the idol and nature while undoubtedly real are not the items that would be worshipped. In religions it is the apparent spiritual nature of these things that is worshipped. the Idol is worshipped becuase in the mind of the believer it has some magical properties, nature is worshipped becuase it is considered an all encompassing intelligence or primeval force, etc.

The magical things are the essential elements of religion - which I assert are only imaginary.

it must be too ambiguous for people to nail down, so everyone can interpret it differently, and nobody can disprove it.

That it helps man improve himself. If it makes him any other than that it is not a religion or is a very misguided take on what it should be.

Light Travelling said:

Would;

Be enough?
Missing the most important element....the followers of the priesthood who accept the doctrines and worship the object. Anybody for Kool-Aide?

That it helps man improve himself.
are you joking? I think Scientology is about the only religion (if you call it that) to even try for that goal.

Good question!
I think a religion is an unprovable set of beliefs about mankind and their place or role in the universe.

Light Travelling said:

Would;

Be enough?

It all depends on who or what the object / objects of worship is / are.
This will define all the further relationships -- what kind of doctrine is necessary, and esp. whether a hierarchy or priesthood is needed.

Could you have a religion without worship? I think so. Although there are almost always rituals associated with religions, it isn't necessary. For instance, it could view your own mind as the creator.

spidergoat said:
Could you have a religion without worship? I think so. Although there are almost always rituals associated with religions, it isn't necessary. For instance, it could view your own mind as the creator.

But without worship -- what would there be to such a religion?
What communicable contents does a religion have where there is no worship of one kind or another?
Does a merely philosophically constructed system of religious-like beliefs (which exists only on paper) function as religion?

Buddhism is a form of religion, yet they really dont 'worship' anyone from what ive heard, im no expert.
Religion is a way of looking at the world. Often including scriptures, deity etc. In fact, 'way of looking at the world' is too broad, religion is a 'way of looking at the world' but 'way of looking at the world' isnt religion.
Relgion is a 'way' with deity or assuming some higher order to life, as mentioned though gods, karma, yada yada.
Worship and ritual in general is just a sideline.

§outh§tar said:
The minimum requirement?

Sheep.

How can that be?

Can there be "sheep" BEFORE there is a "sheperd"?

Can there be followers before there is something to follow?

Of course. There have always been sheep on the pasture, but shepards change with the times.
(meaning: there have always been people that will follow something meaninglessly and blindly, just precisely what they believe changes with each new epoch)

spidergoat said:
Good question!
I think a religion is an unprovable set of beliefs about mankind and their place or role in the universe.

This makes me think numbers of people are important to religion. Because if one person forms an unprovable set of beliefs about mankind etc... do they have their own religion?

I dont think they do, so (as others have said) followers, or numbers of followers must be a fcator.

I am thinking now though that worship is not a requirement.

Last edited:
Back