Mind Myths of Human Vision

Which of the following is true?

• Rays first going out of the eyes then coming back in allow us to see.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

S.A.M.

uniquely dreadful
Valued Senior Member
Answer the poll to describe which option best describes how we see.

I don't think we should assume what we are looking at is
outside.
Why are we possessive about what we think of as inside?
I have two realms.

If you ment medically speaking then "In the human eye, light enters the pupil and is focused on the retina by the lens. Light-sensitive nerve cells called rods (for brightness) and cones (for color) react to the light. They interact with each other and send messages to the brain that indicate brightness, color, and contour."

WIKI

if light and eyes make us see, how can we see in our dreams?

We really don't "see" in our dreams we rather have subconcious actions of brain waves that "create" images that we remember just as remembering a picture of something without it actually being present.

I've gone for B if my existence is in my percption of what is beheld then I exist in the moment of being, and the point of reflection from what goes out is the moment of regocnition that this weed is tres bon monsieur....then the recognition of the dilema of being is only beheld in how I percieve it...:splat: but the easy way is probably what is written in B..

i agree with Enmos, we dont SEE at all, different cells in the eye react to different things which sets off different area's of the brain. There IS no elephant

i agree with Enmos, we dont SEE at all, different cells in the eye react to different things which sets off different area's of the brain. There IS no elephant

That's not what I meant. I meant that the eye doesn't see, the brain does.
If the eye could see (which it can't) the first answer would be the correct one.
The poll is a bunch of nonsense..

Where does it say "the eye sees" in the poll?

If I blindfold your eyes, can you see with your brain?

That's not what I meant. I meant that the eye doesn't see, the brain does.
If the eye could see (which it can't) the first answer would be the correct one.
The poll is a bunch of nonsense..

No, it's not, the formulation is "allow us to see", it doesn't say "eyes see".

There is the old myth about human vision, da Vinci started it, I think. It goes thus: It is out of our eyes that rays go and shine on things, things reflect the rays back into our eyes - and that's how human vision works.

The way I understand the poll question, it is basically about this myth above, and whether the human retina reflects the light that shines on it, or not - whether the light that comes into the eye gets absorbed or not.

Which I find to be an intriguing question, this is why I haven't answered the poll.

No, it's not, the formulation is "allow us to see", it doesn't say "eyes see".

There is the old myth about human vision, da Vinci started it, I think. It goes thus: It is out of our eyes that rays go and shine on things, things reflect the rays back into our eyes - and that's how human vision works.

The way I understand the poll question, it is basically about this myth above, and whether the human retina reflects the light that shines on it, or not - whether the light that comes into the eye gets absorbed or not.

Which I find to be an intriguing question, this is why I haven't answered the poll.

If the questions are meant like you say, the first answer is the correct one.

There is the old myth about human vision, da Vinci started it, I think.
Da Vinci didn't start it and had nothing to do with it, it was an ancient Greek scholar Empedecles (spelling), on whose work Euclid later built on, and was proven wrong by a Muslim scholar (living in Mediterrenian) Al Hazen (spelling).

Ibn al-Haytham (known in Western Europe as Alhacen) (965-1040), often regarded as the "father of optics",[6] formulated "the first comprehensive and systematic alternative to Greek optical theories."[7] His key achievement was twofold: first, to insist that vision only occurred because of rays entering the eye and that rays postulated to proceed from the eye had nothing to do with it; the second was to define the physical nature of the rays discussed by earlier geometrical optical writers, considering them as the forms of light and color. He developed a camera obscura to demonstrate that light and color from different candles passed through a single aperture in straight lines, without intermingling at the aperture.[8] He then analyzed these physical rays according to the principles of geometrical optics. Ibn al-Haytham also employed the experimental scientific method as a form of demonstration in optics. He wrote many books on optics, most significantly the Book of Optics (Kitab al Manazir in Arabic), translated into Latin as the De aspectibus or Perspectiva, which disseminated his ideas to Western Europe and had great influence on the later developments of optics.[9]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_optics

So all the light that enters the eye gets absorbed in the eye? Nothing is reflected?

obviously no, otherwise if you would look at anyone's eyes they would be pitch black :D

demon-eye.jpg

Reflection is a physical by-process, but not a requirement for the sight process, imo.

Back