Microscopy Questions

Thoreau

Valued Senior Member
What magnification is necessary to reach a detailed view of bacteria as well as a detailed view of individual cells?

I'm looking to purchase a microscope (for private use) and want to ensure that I get one that will be meet my objectives. I assume a 500x microscope should work, but I'm not entirely certain.

Also, if any one has a recommendation for a certain microscope, feel free to post.

Thank you!

Oh! And I prefer a microscope with the ability to hook up to my computer if possible, but it's not necessary.

Last edited:
You won't see much with 500x. Especially if you want to see unprepared bacteria (not stained).

A good brightfield microscope + camera will set you back 20-100k.

For a detailed view of bacteria you are probably looking at electron microscopy. That will set you back another 100-500k.

Bright field microscopy is best suited to viewing stained or naturally pigmented specimens such as stained prepared slides of tissue sections or living photosynthetic organisms. It is useless for living specimens of bacteria, and inferior for non-photosynthetic protists or metazoans, or unstained cell suspensions or tissue sections. Here is a not-so-complete list of specimens that might be observed using bright-field microscopy, and appropriate magnifications (preferred final magnifications are emphasized).

Prepared slides, stained - bacteria (1000x), thick tissue sections (100x, 400x), thin sections with condensed chromosomes or specially stained organelles (1000x), large protists or metazoans (100x).
Smears, stained - blood (400x, 1000x), negative stained bacteria (400x, 1000x).
Living preparations (wet mounts, unstained) - pond water (40x, 100x, 400x), living protists or metazoans (40x, 100x, 400x occasionally), algae and other microscopic plant material (40x, 100x, 400x). Smaller specimens will be difficult to observe without distortion, especially if they have no pigmentation.

http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~bioslabs/methods/microscopy/microscopy.html

To have a good view of tissue you need to prepare the tissue. Cut it with a microtome (10-50K), and stain it. All very expensive.

You won't see much with 500x. Especially if you want to see unprepared bacteria (not stained).

A good brightfield microscope + camera will set you back 20-100k.

For a detailed view of bacteria you are probably looking at electron microscopy. That will set you back another 100-500k.

http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~bioslabs/methods/microscopy/microscopy.html

To have a good view of tissue you need to prepare the tissue. Cut it with a microtome (10-50K), and stain it. All very expensive.

Ok. What about this???

http://www.celestron.com/c3/product.php?ProdID=444

I have a CX L 1000X oil rectified job I've had for quite a while. It cost about $500, and is ideal for doing bloods. I also inspect agricultural samples. It has a tube for a camera, which works on my old mobile phone if I switch the phone onto 4X mag for snapshots I can post.

There is virtually no upper limit as far as cost goes, so would suggest just getting the best you can afford. You gets what you pays for.

Back