Meningocoxemia

jwsiii

Registered Senior Member
Can someone tell me exactly how dangerous this disease is, what it does to you, and what the chances are of surviving it?

I suspect you mean meningococcaemia/meningococcemia (choose your own side of the Atlantic).

It means bacteremia or septicemia caused by meningococcus (Neisseria meningitidis) one of the nasty bacterial meningitis bugs. So the bug is the initial problem and a patient who has developed meningococcemia is in a lot of trouble.

Cheers. F.x

I haven't heard of Meningocoxemia but the name made me think of Meningococcal Disease.

Meningococcal Disease or Meningitis is the infection of the fluid of ones spinal cord and the fluid that surrounds the brain. Meningitis is usually caused by a viral or bacterial infection. Knowing wether it is viral or bacterial is very important because the treatments and severity differ. Viral meningitis is generally less severe and resolves without specific treatment, while bacterial meningitis can be quite severe and may result in brain damage, hearing loss, or learning disabilities.

If one treats bacterial Meningitis early in the course of the disease the chance of dying is lowered to below 15%..higher of course in the elderly. The diagnosis is made by growing the bacteria from samples of spinal fluid in order to discover the exact bacteria causing it. Treatment through proper antibiotics for the bacteria discovered is then made.

Some forms of bacterial meningitis are contagious. The bacteria are spread through the exchange of respiratory and throat secretions (i.e., coughing, kissing). Fortunately its not as easy to catch as a cold.

Thanks for the spelling error clear up...i was surprised myself to find nothing on google about this disease.

Back