Melinda Gates vs. the Pope

If religion's insistence upon telling you how to run your sex life isn't evidence enough of its human design, nothing will sway you.

I would agree that an abortion is the killing of a human being. But, the consequences of overpopulation can bring a horrible circumstance that would be much worse than abortion. The short sighted and intellectually disabled moralists would have millions starving, canabalizing each other, living in social squalor and filth, fighting for every little piece of food we could get our hands on. Abortion is the lessor of two evils.

Using contraception is NOT abortion, look them up in a dictionary...

So you are saying that Steampunk is an orthodox Catholic? Otherwise he doesn't need to make a silly point...

Anyhow, the Gates are getting better and better at humanity. Bill is going to die a Saint...

So you are saying that Steampunk is an orthodox Catholic? Otherwise he doesn't need to make a silly point...

He never said they were the same thing. He was pointing out the fallacy in the Catholic church's position. Perhaps you should bother to read posts before you criticize them.

Anyhow, the Gates are getting better and better at humanity. Bill is going to die a Saint...

Reads like sarcasm.

Syzygys

The Catholic Church isn't happy...

Who cares?

Any private foundation doesn't have to answer to anyone other than whom they are helping. If the Pope gets himself upset then perhaps he should find other ways to prevent unwanted children from being born. Where are his recommendations, other than abstinence?

Who cares?

Any private foundation doesn't have to answer to anyone other than whom they are helping.

How are they "helping"? Please explain.
As for who cares...well how about all the children born into dying families who are infected with HIV/AIDS and won't live to see adulthood? Or the 7 billion mouths on this planet and continually unsustainable systems to support us.

How are they "helping"? Please explain.
As for who cares...well how about all the children born into dying families who are infected with HIV/AIDS and won't live to see adulthood? Or the 7 billion mouths on this planet and continually unsustainable systems to support us.

What I was saying is that who cares what the Pope says because they will do as they see fit to do if they are thinking people.

Foundations are helping in many ways, as was stated, her foundation gives away free contraceptives to the poor who can't afford them or to those who aren't allowed to get them.

Note this as the counter-response:

But controversy won’t be easily waved away. “If she wants to put money into it, that’s fine, but she doesn’t get to say no one gets to argue with me,” says Susan Yoshihara, director of research at the Catholic Family and Human Rights Institute, a group that’s played a major role in organizing international opposition to family-planning programs. Yoshihara says any attempt to link contraception and maternal health is “extremely controversial. You don’t tell a woman dying of an ectopic pregnancy that she should have used a female condom. To say that we’re going to help women not die in childbirth by telling them that they shouldn’t get pregnant in the first place, I think, borders on scandalous.”

Not exaaactly the point. (Incidentally, what might the Catholic Family and Human Rights Institute tell such a woman?) I would have thought that an institute for Family and Human Rights would have, you know, some kind of interest in human rights. It's high time the Catholic Church updated some of its social interests. No, more than high time: now.

This also underscores the sheer dogmatic and unethical side of 'social marketing': surely a properly self-reflective organization wouldn't include the term 'Human Rights' in its moniker. Perhaps 'Male Rights' would be more apt.

What I was saying is that who cares what the Pope says

imgres

Right...be Christ like...Help the poor, sick, and misfortunate...or just pray for them and make millions off the stupid bastards who send money to the church whom think it's going to a good cause but in reality is being spent for the church’s own insidious purposes.

imgres

Back