meditation what?

vitaminA

Registered Senior Member
Okay, I am not sure how to meditate. People say "go to every part of your body and relax it" and stuff, but really...what? I don't get how to meditate. A thought always slips into my mind. And I heard you're supposed to put two fingers together to circulate the energy. That was an interesting suggestion. Does anyone have specific steps for meditating?:)

Meditation is neither trivial nor easy. I know two TM teachers (transcendental meditation, the kind yogis do) who charge more than $2,000 for a full course and it takes several months to master it.

There is something to it, it's not just closing your eyes and saying ok now I think I'll meditate. It involves shutting down the higher brain functions to the point that they are available if needed in an emergency, but otherwise cede control to the hindbrain. I think it allows you to experience the world from the blissful, language-free, morality-free perspective of your always-happy, stress-free dog. And I don't mean that as an insult. Dogs have it made and not a day goes by that I don't envy them for a moment or two.

If you don't want to spend $2K and just want to chill more deeply, there are lots of "relaxation for health" audiotapes that are quite effective. They employ the principles of yoga, a hint of hypnosis, and some common sense, to teach you how to relax your muscles, your mind, and your autonomic functions. I suffer from terrible insomnia and I find these tapes extremely effective at getting into the Z zone. That's not exactly meditation, but then my pals admit that when they meditate they often fall asleep anyway.

There are other types of meditation besides transcendental, and I know nothing at all about them. But the principles upon which the practice is based are scientifically and medically valid.

I'm sure a Google search won't disappoint you.

Here's one meditation technique...

I found this some where, it may clarify things..

"Now, make sure you back is straight, do not be hunched over. It helps now if you are listening to calm music, but it must be quiet. Burning some incense helps me a lot, so try that. You can close your eyes if you want, it makes it easier. Next, try to clear your mind and relax every muscle in your body, starting with your feet. Work your way up to your head and then just relax for a few seconds. Inhale long breaths through your nose and exhale long breaths out your mouth. Count from 10 to 0 in your mind, then 9 to 0, then 8 to 0, and so on until your at just 0. Every time you get to 0, say "calm and relaxed" in your mind. Now, you should be fully relaxed and thinking of nothing. Congratulations! You are now meditating. To awake from this meditation, simply count from 0 to 1, 0 to 2, 0 to 3, and so on until 10. Each time you get to the highest number, such as counting 0 to 5, when you get to 5, say "awaking more and more" in your mind. You will end up fully awake and you should feel great. Now open your eyes if you had closed them."

Back