Meanings

whitewolf

asleep under the juniper bush
Registered Senior Member
A couple of quotes for some thought:

"Don't apologise, Mister - it's a sign of weakness."

"Pity signifies a conquered repugnance."

Do you agree? Why?

when people apologise to me i dontlike it cause it brings back memories of what they did to me it means its too late its already been done

and pity is a false love to me to pity sumone and stay with them cause of pity then its not true love

A couple of quotes for some thought:

Do you agree? Why?

No.

I think if someone makes a foolish mistake and sincerely wants to be

forgiven then that person should be given the opportunity to apologize. If

you don't allow that to happen that only shows that you aren't human

enough to let someone try to make amends for their foolishness which

makes you just about as foolish as they are. They only want to get back on

your good side and if you don't want them around you and you feel they

aren't sincere that's the only time to reject their apology.

No.

I think if someone makes a foolish mistake and sincerely wants to be

forgiven then that person should be given the opportunity to apologize. If

you don't allow that to happen that only shows that you aren't human

enough to let someone try to make amends for their foolishness which

makes you just about as foolish as they are. They only want to get back on

your good side and if you don't want them around you and you feel they

aren't sincere that's the only time to reject their apology.

I look at human actions differently. I recognize that we do what we do for a reason, we want to do it. We take our big steps with intention and desire and if we trot over someone else's concerns we aren't truly sorry because we got what we wanted. I say this in regards to adults. Children do things without foresight because, naturally, they lack experience; consequently, results of their actions are often a surprise to them. Children are weak though. Also, adults are unlikely to change their habits or character; if they do something once, you can bet they'll do it again and they're not truly sorry. I see refusal to apologise as ability to admit one's intentions to oneself and others, as admirable level of honesty. I am not sorry that I was late to meet a guy because I was busy making myself pretty for him, and he's not as upset with the end result as he would've been if I would've rushed.

I often see pity as an insult; however, I can't help but feel bad for some people at times. I don't feel pity towards people I dislike or used to dislike. I feel pity for people whom I like very much. When people say they are sorry and mean it, I see it as "conquered repugnance."

Also, adults are unlikely to change their habits or character; if they do something once, you can bet they'll do it again and they're not truly sorry.

So if I were late to pick my wife up and told her that I was sorry that I was

late because I had to stop and help a car accident victim then that

wouldn't be acceptable to you as well? Sometimes adults make errors in

judgement and it isn't intentional as you think it maybe. If a adult does

something foolish like spill a drink on someone else and says that he's sorry,

don't you think that he really is? Or do you think he goes around spilling

drinks on everyone all the time just to give fake appoligies?

I look at human actions differently. I recognize that we do what we do for a reason, we want to do it. We take our big steps with intention and desire and if we trot over someone else's concerns we aren't truly sorry because we got what we wanted. I say this in regards to adults. Children do things without foresight because, naturally, they lack experience; consequently, results of their actions are often a surprise to them. Children are weak though. Also, adults are unlikely to change their habits or character; if they do something once, you can bet they'll do it again and they're not truly sorry. I see refusal to apologise as ability to admit one's intentions to oneself and others, as admirable level of honesty. I am not sorry that I was late to meet a guy because I was busy making myself pretty for him, and he's not as upset with the end result as he would've been if I would've rushed.
Then you are only talking about whether or not you would apologise for a deliberate action, where you feel you have taken in to account all of the consequences.

This is an entirely different scenario to apologising for accidents (breaking a vase for not realising your shoe-laces were untied).

Your opening post is too vague if you want to concentrate on deliberate, thought-out actions.

The first quote came from a movie I haven't watched, so I don't know the context in which the words were said. I don't want to put them into a wrong context; but I estimate that it's safe to assume the quote refers to deliberate actions.

What actions are not deliberate? What's an accident? If you rushed into the subway car, you thought that possible presence of other people is negligible, so if you stepped on someone's toes it's not a true accident. When a child says he is sorry, he means (or ought to mean) that he'll never do it again. The same can not be said about an adult who is in a rush to get somewhere, didn't notice you, and pushed you; next time he'll be in a rush he'll push someone again.

So if I were late to pick my wife up and told her that I was sorry that I was

late because I had to stop and help a car accident victim then that

wouldn't be acceptable to you as well?

Is that an error in judgment? Would it be better to not help the victim and rush to pick up the wife instead?

Donnal's writings have improved tremendously.

Apologizing does signify a sign of weakness, but it is necessary to point out self weakness to improve for later.

Its like stabbing yourself in an arm so that later you know how to avoid it and not fear it when it does hits.

The first quote came from a movie I haven't watched, so I don't know the context in which the words were said. I don't want to put them into a wrong context; but I estimate that it's safe to assume the quote refers to deliberate actions.

What actions are not deliberate? What's an accident? If you rushed into the subway car, you thought that possible presence of other people is negligible, so if you stepped on someone's toes it's not a true accident. When a child says he is sorry, he means (or ought to mean) that he'll never do it again. The same can not be said about an adult who is in a rush to get somewhere, didn't notice you, and pushed you; next time he'll be in a rush he'll push someone again.
Ah - okay - in your example the person doing the pushing is NOT apologising, but merely trying to placate any reaction.

Further - apologising is not necessarily saying that you won't do it again, just merely offering an excuse / reason / defence for one's actions that have harmed another.

I think it is quite normal to explain to someone why you have harmed them, whether you meant it or not.

Many times I have said "Sorry - but X, Y, Z."
The "Sorry" is to show that I do feel for their hurt / pain (i.e. I am sympathetic), but the "X, Y, Z" is explaining why I did what I did - and based on the overall assessment of risk / reward I would determine whether I would probably do the same thing again or not.

Its better to apologise, and show your feelings and that you care and regret whatever caused the apology, than to not. I would be of the opinion that if someone owed an apology and never did, they would be extremely arrogant and pointedly rude.

Heya whitewolf, ... great thread

I think you're talkin about somethin else here that I hate to pity you for not admitting :p

Maybe not.

Aaaaaaaaanywayyyyy... Yeah, great thread:

"Pity signifies a conquered repugnance."
I agree.
Really depends though.
One appologises for example (to bring a case to point), he/she is basically saying the person to which he is appologising to has given him a certain weakness, so sure; can happen. Actually it's pretty obvious.

And pity. Yeah. Pity is a shame.

Depends though, I mean, how you view it.

On a high level of morality absolutely pity is almost always or next to never not signifigant when it comes to repugnance.

Anyway, just some thoughts *cough-HOTTIEcough*

Back