"meaning" of life

Slacker47

Paint it Black
Registered Senior Member
Quote from my freind:

After thinking about it, I realized that there is no meaning to life, as people put it, because there are innumerable single celled organisms that exist apparently just to die in a matter of seconds. This lead me to the conclusion that when people ask the meaning of life, they are actualy asking the meaning on free will, because they are referring primarily to humans, and this is what supposedly differentiates us from other creatures. After more consideration I decided that free will was created to add some sort of order to our lives because our "free will" makes the majority of people on earth feel as if they need to fit in somewhere with some group, thus creating organized religion, but thats another topic really.

Any insight to this thought, or about our lives compared to these single celled organisms?

Experience meaning. That is the meaning of life. It is the relationships your mind creates bases on its input and how it feels to experience (both thought and physcial inputs) those relationships. The meaning of life is kind of mystic maybe because the meaning of life is basically the feeling of contemplating the meaning of life, in whatever way your brain poses the question to your mind. It's a recursive sort of circular kind of once removed kind of concept. Hehe, this may be a symptom of simple mindedness, but that kind of stuff makes me a little dizzy.

maybe the meaning of life is the conceptual aggregate of the entire subjective experience thereof, quite literally. *shrug*

Yes i agree, but what do you think about the single celled organisms? If there is a God, what purpose do these cells serve if they only exist for a matter of minutes/seconds? How do they contribute to the meaning of life?

I think this line of reasoning is very insightful... it shows how ridiculous life is because just like these cells... what do we truly accomplish in life?

Hmmm... well, I think you are drawing a comparison of two ends of a scale, creating a dichotomy and that it is always kind of hypnotically enticing to ponder the feeling of dichotomy. I find value in your comparison in that manner. I'm sure there is a certain wisdom to be found there, but I think the wisdom is actually in the realization of the broader context regarding the dichotomy you've set up. maybe there is some poetic value and it can serve as inspiration. it's late, try more later.

*Originally posted by Slacker47
Yes i agree, but what do you think about the single celled organisms? If there is a God, what purpose do these cells serve if they only exist for a matter of minutes/seconds? How do they contribute to the meaning of life?

Apparently, they stick around long enough for you to think of that question.

Back