May I Rant For A Moment?

Oxygen

One Hissy Kitty
Registered Senior Member
I have read a lot of reports on UFOs (my favorite being a hoaxster who painted himself in glow-in-the-dark paint to scare motorists and almost wound up with a fatal case of lead poisoning) and have found (no duh...) that more and more epeople use the term UFO synonymously with "extraterrestrial craft". I hear it all the time:

"Do you think it was a UFO?"
"It looked like a UFO."
"I saw the UFO clearly."
"I couldn't identify it. It might have been a UFO."

We all know that UFO stands for Unidentified Flying Object. If you can't identify it and it's flying and it is an object, then of course it's a UFO!

Does anyone have any suggestions for a phrase we can use to denote extraterrestrial craft besides UFO? It doesn't matter if they're real or not. We need a handy tag for them that differentiates something that someone can identify from something they cannot. I'm thinking:
Possible
Extraterrestrial
Space
Transportation,

or even

Totally
Unproven
Repeated
Delusions.

(I can see it now, "We were having a picnic when these TURDs started flying across the sky...")

Thanks for letting me rant. I'll shut up now.

[This message has been edited by Oxygen (edited July 19, 2000).]

How about "flying saucer" "spaceship" "extra-terrestrial craft"

dave.gif

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited July 20, 2000).]

I don't know, I kinda like P.E.S.T., will it stick though??
Thanks,
I needed the laugh. :D
peace

------------------
I am where there is need, I am not where no need exists, I am a staff to lean on, a lamp to light the way, I am shelter from the storm and yet I am the storm that rages around you.
susan mcmanaway

The UFO acronym has basically become the catchall term for anything "alien related." What we now need is a new or even an old acronym for unidentified objects that are flying. UAP i.e. unidentified aerial phenomena is a good one from the days when APRO was still investigating the phenomenon of "flying saucers." Of course, UAP would become confused with the Associated Press or some Hollywood movie industry group, so it probably wouldn't work. Seldom does one hear about USOs i.e. unidentified submerged objects that sailors would sometimes report. USO was a bad acronym anyway, everyone would confuse it with the United Service Organization and start asking about Bob Hope.

I think Dave has a good one. ETC, Extra-terrestrial craft. Now, all we have to do is corect everyone that say's "UFO, that is not an UFO, that is an ETC." If they are much bigger than you, you say "sir, that is an ETC, sir". Maybe we could incorporate the change from UFO to ETC in the new EURO speak. Possibly in five years, UFO would be no more.

SMILE IN THE FACE OF ADVERSITY

Back