Man in car chase responsible for helicopter deaths?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanket

Human
Valued Senior Member
Here we have a guy who led police on a car chase, with multiple helicopters in pursuit to show the chase on the news. Two helicopters collide, and the police chief says "the suspect will likely also face criminal charges for the deaths of the four people on board the two helicopters".

That doesn't sit well with me. Sure, if he ran into someone, or someone had an accident trying to get out of his way, then he'd be responsible. But the news helicopters were chasing him! They weren't in harm's way unintentionally, they were there to profit off the guy. And obviously one or both of the chopper pilots screwed up.

No doubt the knee-jerk reaction of most people is to hold the guy responsible for every harm in any way associated with his acts. But where does such thinking end? If someone litters on a sidewalk, distracting a driver who then plows into some pedestrians, should the litterer face homicide charges for any deaths?

What do you think?

Mod Hat - Closure

With apologies, noting that this is a duplicate of a pre-existing topic under the title "The extent of criminal liability?":

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=69784

I will be happy to merge the topic, and even strike the first and last paragraphs (or let you do it yourself) to even it out (or not). I would have addressed this privately, except that I need to investigate why I can't send a private message to you. (Strangely, it's you specifically; the system does not tell me that you're blocked, but rather that I haven't enough posts to be sending private messages.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back