Major

MVP

Registered Member
College is only a year away and I'm wondering what I should major in. Definetly Biology.

General Biology
Molecular Biology
BioChemistry
Microbiology
Other?

I don't find chemistry all that interesting.
I like genetics and cellular biology a lot (especially evolution)
(I'm not sure the exact term, but biology dealing with human activity, probably general?) is alright with me. Anyway, what kind of majors are out there? I'd like to do virus and bacteria research. I want to help people with diseases and such, I'd like a job that has a possibility to make over 100,000 after a few years (about 15). I live around Philadelphia and haven't chose a college yet. I have a B- average in a very high ranked high school (New-Hope Solebury) and scored a 640 math 490 verbal = 1130 on SATs (first time, no PSATs). Any information on colleges/internships/majors/jobs would be great! Thanks.
-Greg

If you are looking to make over $100,000 a year, stay away from Biology. Those of us here didn't choose science to make a lot of money.

You will only be a succesful biologist if you are a fanatic. You are not since if you had been a fanatic you couldn;t have resisted posting in at least 10 threads in the biology subforum and then going into inane discussion on the intricacies of the theory of evolution or any other biological topic.

Don't do it.

last year biology was ranked the #1 highest paying field at an average of 90,000

why are you considering biochem if you don't like chemistry? are you sure you know what biochem is? for that matter you better scratch molecular, micro, genetics and cellular. it's hard to get away from chemistry in biology. stick with physiology or go into medicine.

as a side note, your sat scores and grades are far too mediocre to succeed as a bio major at any uni worth it's tuition. i've seen full lecture halls dwindle down to a handful a students who could make it through the course. even if you do get passing grades, grad school is too competitive for just passing. you don't display the brains to make that kind of money as a biologist.
not trying to insult, just being honest here. it's better that you make a good decision now rather than regret all that time, money, and sleepless nights studying just to pass. my advice is to be a psychology major; you'll touch on biology a little bit.

Back