Lurker here, who would like to join this community of discussion!

Tinker683

Registered Senior Member
Hello all,

I've been lurking here for about a week now, and I think I would be really interested in joining the discussions here.

A quick summary of my religous background- Was born a Lutheran, was very strong in my faith for quite some time, read the bible several times, began to have doubts of religon around grade 7, and as of last october, I am a proud Humanist :)

Although I doubt seriously I'll be able to contribute to some of the more heavily scientific threads ( I'm only a high school senior, guys and girls :D ) I hope I can none the less be a welcomed addition to this thread.

See you all around!

-t

Welcome to sciforums Tinker, always good to have a fellow high school student on the boards ;)

*Waves*

Hi! Humanist since October? I've been an athiest since September (well, of course we are born athiests), so, welcome to the club!

This is a delicious way to waste time! Have fun.

Hi Tinker,

Welcome to sciforums.

And as a humanist welcome to the world of reason.

For myself I've only been an atheist for around 30 years, although Secular Humanist also sits well with me, among other labels.

Some knowledge of science will help but more importantly is the ability to think clearly and logically.

Cris

Tinker683

Welcome
hope you like this place as much as I do

Post in ethics, politics, General philosophy and free thoughts to.

Im only 19 and I even got a thread deticated to me. Just because you are not old dosn't mean you have no good idears and you don't really need an quilications to post there

Hi. Since everyone else is doing it... I've been an Adamist since I was born.

There are plenty of us around your age. I am 19. Do not let age restrict your imagination and thirst for knowledge. You are never too old and you are never too young and al that crap. (although it would make things difficult if you count your age in months, there is a lower limit on second thought)

I am unclear on the difference between Secular Humanism and Atheism. According to Faithnet I am the former for some reason.

Teg,

Atheism is simply a disbelief in a god or gods, it has no doctrines. Atheism is entirely negative in nature.

Many feel uncomfortable with such an outlook.

Secular humanists are also atheists but go further and include positive doctrines. E.g. that humans need to take responsibility for their actions and are ultimately in control of their environment and ultimate fate.

Remember that an atheist could be the worst serial killer imaginable or might be someone with the highest sense of morality imaginable.

Saying that someone is an atheist says absolutely nothing about them other than they have a disbelief in a god or gods.

Secular humanism includes concepts of morality and positive purpose.

I go a step further and accept the label of a Transhumanist.

Hope that helps.
Cris

Tinker683 ,
Welcome :)

Tyler,

Atheist....without god(s).

Atheists anonymous:-

Where do I sign?
:D

Cris

Secular humanists are also atheists but go further and include positive doctrines. E.g. that humans need to take responsibility for their actions and are ultimately in control of their environment and ultimate fate.
The problem is that those rules should be interchangable with something we should all have: common sense.
Remember that an atheist could be the worst serial killer imaginable or might be someone with the highest sense of morality imaginable.
It is more likely that the serial killer is a Christian. I have proof that moral doctrine is often empty. I can say that I would tell the truth on all occassions. There is always an exception to the rule. Rules mean nothing. We must instead be guided by our internal moral and ethical compas. Bah, rules are for those Christian folk.

Laws are the only way of deterence. They often have trouble doing so. I think we must accept that for whatever reason some have the capacity to do wrong.
Secular humanism includes concepts of morality and positive purpose.

I go a step further and accept the label of a Transhumanist.
If that comforts you then go with that. But know that as atheists you have no set of negative outcomes to enforce your system of morality. I can't imagine that your rules would accomplish anything more than some slight easing of your conscience. They are by definition superfluous.

Teg,

I found your response somewhat confusing. I wasn’t offering debate but just the facts surrounding atheism and Secular Humanism. There should have been nothing controversial in my statements. So I’m not sure what your intention is on this.

The problem is that those rules should be interchangable with something we should all have: common sense.
That is true. Are you implying that secular humanism is not based on common sense and rational thinking? And if so then what are your objections?

Although I must point out that so-called common sense isn’t very common and what many feel is common-sense is more often quite erroneous.

It is more likely that the serial killer is a Christian.
I think you missed the point. Atheists come from all walks of life and there is no system of beliefs, doctrines, dogma, moral code, set of ethics, etc, that link all atheists together. They can be good or bad people, it really doesn’t matter. The only thing atheists have in common is that they share a disbelief in the existence of gods; it is not possible to make any further claims about atheists that have any accuracy.

I have proof that moral doctrine is often empty.
I don’t know what you mean by that. Perhaps you should have shown your proof.

The concept of morality is not difficult it is just a mechnaism to determine what is good and what is bad. The issue comes from the question of good and bad for who? In religious morality like Christianity the morality is based the needs of an authoritarian god. The rules are not based on what is good for man nor are they based on practicality or rational design. The rules come from a religious text and are intended to be followed blindly. Or IOW theistic morality is based on an imaginary set of rules defined by an imaginary god. This is an extremely poor basis on which to model human behavior

A moraility based on the needs of man are quite different and represent guidelines that help with survival. Humanistic morality assumes that anything that supports life is good and anything that detracts from life is bad. Usage of these simple guidelines enables sets of rules that directly benefit mankind.

We must instead be guided by our internal moral and ethical compass. Bah, rules are for those Christian folk.
Well Ok and that is easy for the major items, like killing and lying, but many aspects of morality are not so clear cut and sets of guidelines and rules are usually considered valuable. Note that these would be phrased in a way that the value is clear, for example –

To kill someone is morally bad since it removes the basic right of freedom from an individual to enjoy life. Contrast that with a theist rule –

You shall not kill because God says so.

I hope you see the basic difference between the tyrannical authoritarian approach adopted by religions like Christianity and the practical style adopted by a more rational approach such as Humanism.

Laws are the only way of deterence. They often have trouble doing so. I think we must accept that for whatever reason some have the capacity to do wrong.
Laws are fine if there is clear and well understood intention behind them. I don’t think laws should be seen as a deterrent but more in the form that there is a disadvantage to not obeying the law – e.g. speeding in a car could result in injury to yourself or others. Laws should never be obeyed because a so-called higher authority ordered it.

But know that as atheists you have no set of negative outcomes to enforce your system of morality. I can't imagine that your rules would accomplish anything more than some slight easing of your conscience. They are by definition superfluous.
I don’t know what you mean here. Atheists have no doctrines or set of ethics, or a system of morality, or sets of rules. Atheism isn’t about establishing such things, and isn’t any type of belief or morality system, so your statements here are meaningless.

Atheism is only about a disbelief in the existence of gods. How atheists then choose to run their lives or what sets of rules they wish to follow is entirely up to them as individuals.

Hope that helps.
Cris

I think you missed the point. Atheists come from all walks of life and there is no system of beliefs, doctrines, dogma, moral code, set of ethics, etc, that link all atheists together. They can be good or bad people, it really doesn’t matter. The only thing atheists have in common is that they share a disbelief in the existence of gods; it is not possible to make any further claims about atheists that have any accuracy.
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have proof that moral doctrine is often empty.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don’t know what you mean by that. Perhaps you should have shown your proof.

Of course. I can take a secular concept that we can all relate to:
This was brought up by my history teacher a few days after I made that statement. It is applicable. Have you or will you commit murder, rape, or theft? If not, is that because of local law enforcement? In other words, do we follow the laws to avoid punishment or because we agree the acts they punish are wrong?

If a punishement in life is inadequate, how many are you going to sway with a coda? In fact aren't some church practices geared toward removing guilt for bad acts? I can kill someone, go to a priest, be obsolved, and the priest has to keep quiet because of the seal. I have no moral reason to turn myself in and in fact am given reason to repeat the act. What about celebacy? They can't have sex with a woman, but children are okay as long as you agree to relocation.

I know these are examples from the Catholic church, but I can find examples in the form of adulterous ministers as high as Jesse Jackson.

Well Ok and that is easy for the major items, like killing and lying, but many aspects of morality are not so clear cut and sets of guidelines and rules are usually considered valuable. Note that these would be phrased in a way that the value is clear, for example –

To kill someone is morally bad since it removes the basic right of freedom from an individual to enjoy life. Contrast that with a theist rule –

You shall not kill because God says so.

I hope you see the basic difference between the tyrannical authoritarian approach adopted by religions like Christianity and the practical style adopted by a more rational approach such as Humanism.
I can see how it might help sell it to christians. I think rules lock a person into a stance that is either too rigid for reality or lacking consistancy.
I don’t know what you mean here. Atheists have no doctrines or set of ethics, or a system of morality, or sets of rules. Atheism isn’t about establishing such things, and isn’t any type of belief or morality system, so your statements here are meaningless.

Atheism is only about a disbelief in the existence of gods. How atheists then choose to run their lives or what sets of rules
they wish to follow is entirely up to them as individuals.
I was arguing that any doctrine held secular humanist as well as athiests is without means of enforcement. The Christians can at least hold their invisible afterlife as final judgement.

I wasn't disagreeing with you, simply pointing out that the distinction between both groups is unnneccessary. Sell the distinction to Christians for sure. They need to see rules to reinforce their actions and believe themselves superior to others.

Teg,

OK some good points.

I was arguing that any doctrine held secular humanist as well as athiests is without means of enforcement. The Christians can at least hold their invisible afterlife as final judgement.
Yes and I think I would agree to a large extent. This emphasizes a need for the human race to raise their awareness of the results of their actions and take responsibility for those actions. All the time they think a super being will relieve them of responsibility then we will be stuck in a world of chaos, death, destruction and evil.

Removing religions or at least destroying their credibility will help to make people sit up and think for themselves. That is perhaps a somewhat militant approach. But perhaps as knowledge through science and technology makes us more aware of our surroundings and increases communication around the world (e.g. internet) then perhaps religions will simply fade away. Religions thrive on ignorance and superstitions, and science has been in the forefront for destroying such disabilities.

Cris

Yes and I think I would agree to a large extent. This emphasizes a need for the human race to raise their awareness of the results of their actions and take responsibility for those actions. All the time they think a super being will relieve them of responsibility then we will be stuck in a world of chaos, death, destruction and evil.
I could not agree more. There are too many wandering sheep, uncoscious to the repercussions of their actions.
Removing religions or at least destroying their credibility will help to make people sit up and think for themselves. That is perhaps a somewhat militant approach. But perhaps as knowledge through science and technology makes us more aware of our surroundings and increases communication around the world (e.g. internet) then perhaps religions will simply fade away. Religions thrive on ignorance and superstitions, and science has been in the forefront for destroying such disabilities.
I see your approach and find the method worthy. I was thinking about this and found statistically that most people are or would rather be agnosticists. I think we should first attack the church on its structure. The Catholic church is dying. We are only seeing the beginning. Islam is still a problem though. Any religion that can convince its followers to fast during an entire month for the period of daylight is going to give hiccups to the outside world. I think the Arabian Muslims will remain so, but the European and American Islamics will come to realize the full impact of its negative connotations. We are seing the beginning of the end for religions.

Hey Tinker,

Here's a great way to become invisible:

1) Go on Sciforums for the first time.

2) there are no more steps. The rest of the world will never see you again.

Ok, so maybe you won't really be invisible.

But it's darn close.:D

Back