Looking ahead

rbruma

Registered Member
For the last few days, a hot debate spread around the US and indeed the whole world regarding the decisions taken by judicial, legislative and executive authorities in the Schiavo case. The Vatican itself <a href="http://edition.cnn.com/2005/LAW/03/22/schiavo.vatican/index.html">considered the case</a>. In its now famous "Terri Law" (Pub. L. No. 109-3), the Congress implicitly admitted that it is something wrong with the law as it currently is and sensed that it "should consider policies regarding the status and legal rights of incapacitated individuals who are incapable of making decisions concerning the provision, withholding, or withdrawal of foods, fluid, or medical care". (Sec. 9)

I would like to hear everybody's opinion about that. Should such a consideration be undertaken and how? What clauses should contain a statute enacted for the purposes set forth in Sec. 9 above? What should be the status and legal rights of those incapacitated? Should the difference between 'brain damaged' and 'brain dead' matter and how should this be determined? etc...

Since Mrs. Schiavo's suit will probably end (I don't believe that the US Supreme Court will grant the certiorari) and with it also Mrs. Schiavo's misery, I think it will be interesting to review what should be done so that in the future such conflict won't arise again.

I asked some opinions on a matter of interest to some, including me. I didn't get your question, nor did I find it particularly amusing.

The primary effect is that Congress will most likely take these processes out of the hands of the states. That in itself is a sticky issue that will distract focus from the actual issue raised.

As to the larger issues of what will happen, I'll have to think about that.

And welcome, rbruma. For the record, yes, we get people trying to con research out of other posters for their schoolwork from time to time, and yes, it sometimes looks like your post. No, the question needs not be amusing. We're a strange bunch here, and in a way we seem to be proud of it. In all honesty, you'll either get used to it or decide we're not worth the effort.

But we do hope you enjoy your time with us.

Thanks tiassa, I look forward to your detailed opinions.

Also for the record, when trying to think about a serious matter, you might happen to find irrelevant and off-topic questions or remarks a bit unpleasant. However, as a newcomer, I thank you for your welcome and I'll do my best to adjust to this kind of replies as well.

Back