Look at these adorable beetles

Varda

The Bug Lady
Valued Senior Member
Just look at them... look!

They are farmers :)

01-diversity-of-ambrosia-beetles.jpg

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2...entertainment+(Wired:+Entertainment)&pid=1727

Fascinating article, Varda.

The role of insects in our world is truly under-recognized. Trust a scientist to come up with an interesting speculation from observing these beetles....

On the subject of fungus, Hulcr is eloquent. "They smell like white fruit. They look like puffy clouds. Sometimes they look like brown sludge. They often taste like mushrooms. So no wonder the beetles like them," he said. Asked whether he'd tasted the fungus himself, Hulcr said yes. "Wouldn't it be fascinating to grow beetle symbiotic fungus on a large scale, so we could turn wood into fruit? There are so many opportunities. This is one of the most amazing systems out there. This is so cool and it's so unexplored."

We humans quite overestimate ourselves, IMO. Insects, bacteria and viruses comprise the greater percentage of biomass on the planet, if memory serves.....

National Geographic did an article on scarab beetles. They were gorgeous! I can see why women wore live ones as jewelry

Thanks for the link Varda. They are amazing creatures

I quite think like they look like little armored mice.

That is a most astute and artistic conceptualization, Varda. :) They rather do look like armored mice, especially the top two and the one on the bottom left.

I found an image of a Samurai mouse. :)

samurai-mouse1.jpg

Varda, do you have any in your collection as yet? Where did you find them if so?

No, I have actually never seen one of these guys in person. We have a commom problem in south east of Brazil with longhorn beetles. They take down massive tree branches, and it's a perfect saw cut. They go around the branch biting away little by little until the weight of the branch breaks it off. Then they put the larvae in the fallen branch.
My dad hates them with a fury.

I love the farming aspect. Wherever they go, they bring the seed to grow their own food. Isn't hat clever.

Back