Lip augmentation

Chatha

big brown was screwed up
Registered Senior Member
I'm getting a lip augmentation soon, i'm inflating my upper lip. Its because I have a slight underbite, and my dentist tells me its better than braces at my age. Apparently its going to be an in-and-out procedure. Just wanted to know if anybody has ever had one.

I'm getting a lip augmentation soon, i'm inflating my upper lip. Its because I have a slight underbite, and my dentist tells me its better than braces at my age. Apparently its going to be an in-and-out procedure. Just wanted to know if anybody has ever had one.

I don't recommend such procedure. No I have not done such.

It's only a slight underbite? Then why worry? What will fattening up your lip do for your teeth? If your underbite is enough to affect your appearance when you're not flashing all of the pearly-whites you can, then it's not a slight underbite.

I work in a dental lab where we make all manner of dentures, splints, mouthguards, etc. We've made dentures for overbites, underbites, and crossbites that, when you're just seeing the teeth, look pretty frikkin' bad. But when the patient puts them in, you'd be hard-pressed to tell.

So just how "slight" is this overbite? If it's not affecting your ability to chew food and doesn't have you walking around looking like a bulldog trying to pick a fight, then it's probably something you shouldn't waste your money on.

What's wrong with braces? Lip augmentation can go really bad. I would see another dentist.

You should always follow professional healthcare advice - there are exercises that can be done to correct jaw movement but I'm not sure if its applicable to under-bites. Perhaps its worth asking...

Do u look like Bubba (the "shrimp man") from Forest Gump?! :D Sorry
No, my underbite is not half bad. But If I don't turn to braces it may grow to that extent, which is what I want to avoid. I'm seeing an othodontist this week for his opinion and solution. Interesting fact, most people have under or over bite.

I have a crossbite, plus my lower jaw is wider than the upper. Again, lip augmentation won't do a thing for your bite. It would be interesting if you care to share what your ortho has to say.

What about TMJ? Does your jaw pop when you open it all the way? Mine used to get painfully stuck, but I was lucky enough to be able to take care of things with exercizes. Usually malocclusion (fancy word for 'bad bite-down connection) will result in Temporomandibular Joint disorders.

My dentists tries to sell me all sorts of dumbshit bells and whistels.

I ignore his attempts at trying to get me to funnel more money into professional quackery.

My dentists tries to sell me all sorts of dumbshit bells and whistels.

I ignore his attempts at trying to get me to funnel more money into professional quackery.

i wouldnt call a chisel bells and whistles, maybe he needs a fancy hammer cause he broke the other one.

I have a crossbite, plus my lower jaw is wider than the upper. Again, lip augmentation won't do a thing for your bite. It would be interesting if you care to share what your ortho has to say.
I cancelled the appointment and opted for a root canal instead, partly because my underbite isn't half bad. I'm not getting the augmentation either.

Good move, Chatha. Sometimes they try to convince you something is worse than what it is just to sell you something you don't need.

You should always follow professional healthcare advice - there are exercises that can be done to correct jaw movement but I'm not sure if its applicable to under-bites. Perhaps its worth asking...
I had an underbite when I was a kid. I still remember the dentist saying, "OK, now bite.........SHIT!!!" He started me on exercises with a tongue depressor. The problem was completely corrected with no surgery.

My Dremel manual tells me that it isn't a dental drill.

In our lab they're called "handpieces". They're exactly like a Dremel or rotary tool except that the chucks are designed to hold very tiny bits and the tool itself is narrower. For dental drills, I believe it's the RPMs that keep a Dremel from doubling as a dental drill. I have had friends who have used Dremels on their own dentures without complaint, but I don't know anyone who's used one in lieu of a trip to the dentist.

Back