Light Reactions and Calvin

Emmveepee

Registered Senior Member
Is all the ATP formed during light reactions used in the Calvin cycle to produce Glucose for respiration?

Just kind of cloudy on this.

no. in plants glucose is made through photosynthesis in general, then the mitochondria convert the ATP into glucose, which is done with, i dont know. i too am kind of cloudy on this, but i remember some. :m:

Edited because I am too stupid and forgot basic textbook thingies.

Last edited:
So is ALL of the ATP produced in the light reactions used to fix CO2 for glucose to be used in respiration?

Light reactions convert ADP +P into ATP and NADP+ to NADPH. Both ATP and NADPH are used in the Calvin cycle. The calvin cycle released the ATP as ADP+P and NADP+ to form sugar to be used in respiration.

I want to know if ALL of the ATP by the ADP+P that comes from Calvin is consumed by the Calvin cycle.

So in the light reactions of photosynthesis, does the ALL of the ATP made used in Calvin, or is some used for energy in other parts of the cell?

Something like this:
psoverview.gif

"Light Reactions" being Photophosphorylation, and "Dark Reactions" being the calvin cycle.

Well I do apologize, I misunderstood things completely. I thought that it was assumed that the calvin cycle was the energy producing step and then I wrote a lot of nonsense, including mixing up light reaction and calvin cycle in my posts. My apologies again.
Now, to the actual answer to your question: I don't think it is precisely known. The reasons are 1) there is no direct coupling between energy generation during the light reaction and the calvin cycle. And 2) it is not clear how much energy is gained per light reaction (the reason for this is that the precise stochimetry of ATP generation via chemiosmosis is still unclear, unless they found something new recently).

The ATP can be derived from virtually any energy producing step (e.g. by normal respiration). It is generalyl assumed though that most (or all) equivalents are used in the calvin cycle, but I don't think that there is a publication verifying it. I'll check it out though.

CharonZ said:
Well I do apologize, I misunderstood things completely. I thought that it was assumed that the calvin cycle was the energy producing step and then I wrote a lot of nonsense, including mixing up light reaction and calvin cycle in my posts. My apologies again.
Now, to the actual answer to your question: I don't think it is precisely known. The reasons are 1) there is no direct coupling between energy generation during the light reaction and the calvin cycle. And 2) it is not clear how much energy is gained per light reaction (the reason for this is that the precise stochimetry of ATP generation via chemiosmosis is still unclear, unless they found something new recently).

The ATP can be derived from virtually any energy producing step (e.g. by normal respiration). It is generalyl assumed though that most (or all) equivalents are used in the calvin cycle, but I don't think that there is a publication verifying it. I'll check it out though.

No problem. Biology covers such a wide spectrum of sub fields, it's easy to forget things in fields you haven't researched in a bit.

I know the MAXIMUM number of ATP molecules produced during cellular respiration of glucose is 36-38.

Yes could be in the correct range (depends on organism and mode of sugar metabolism a bit. For instance some bacteria have an alternative way of degrading sugar resulting in less ATP but create intermediates not found in e.g. animals). However, this does not help solve your question though. I have checked more recent plant journals and in a publication I found that the NADPH/ATP ratio during the light reaction is still unknown, or in other words the amount of energy generation per light reaction cannot be calculated.
I do think that for one complete calvin cycle 9 ATP and 6 NADPH are used, but the amount ATP generation for a single light reaction cannot be calculated at this point.

Back