Life or Death?

Bowser

Namaste
Valued Senior Member
http://www.oregonlive.com/ap/storie...-18/1175243479121050.xml&storylist=topstories
http://www.publications.ojd.state.or.us/S53457.htm

The Oregonian reported that The Oregon State Supreme Court has ruled (in essence): a person really is not required to run before using deadly force when confronted by potential danger. I think it has been a common assumption here that the responsibility falls on the victim to protect both self and other in such situations.

Here is my question: If provocation is baiting you into a tough situation, and your choices are only two, which one of those two is the more honorable?

So you would run then? :shrug:

I always run :p . My parents played a joke once on me. My mom and me went to this dark woods place by a lake to supposevly make a campfire :rolleyes: ...anyways I knew something was going on because she was going and dragging me into the dark, and I am like since when did you become so courageous?! well after some minutes of collecting small branches we heard some sort of violent sound of breaking branches and breaking wood and some hog oinking so loudly!!!wooo I started running and dragged my mom by me but she was like just standing there and like "lets go check it out whats out there in the dark". Well I am like " Are you crazy?!!! This thing will eat us!" So I dragged her by me (she resisted) but was so afraid myself...and than my father comes out and they both started laughing...

I felt so ashamed, because I hid behind my mom (I was smaller than her at that time). So yeah I always run, I am a "bunny" personality.

Here is my question: If provocation is baiting you into a tough situation, ....?

What does that mean exactly?
"provocation"?
"baiting"?
"tough situation"?

...which one of those two is the more honorable?

Perhaps we should ask a wimp who has been bullied incessantly and has continued to try to run away from the situations? And if he runs from one bully, won't all the other potential bullies see that and take advantage of it?

How much running away can one do before it becomes a problem?

Honorable? Is it "honorable" to allow others to force you to do something that you don't want to do, or keep you from doing what you want to do?

Baron Max

http://www.oregonlive.com/ap/storie...-18/1175243479121050.xml&storylist=topstories
http://www.publications.ojd.state.or.us/S53457.htm

The Oregonian reported that The Oregon State Supreme Court has ruled (in essence): a person really is not required to run before using deadly force when confronted by potential danger. I think it has been a common assumption here that the responsibility falls on the victim to protect both self and other in such situations.

Here is my question: If provocation is baiting you into a tough situation, and your choices are only two, which one of those two is the more honorable?

Depends on the situation. I've been in riot situations and if its just me, I run. But if there are others who are my responsibility, I look for a way to help.

What does that mean exactly?
"provocation"?
"baiting"?
"tough situation"?

Baron Max

Interesting reply, Baron. And my question is, how many people have you killed? Myself, I have seen some funky shit in my days. Should I buy a gun as protection against those who would do me harm? Is it worth the price just so we can feel safe at night or when we are walking alone on a trail?
:shrug:

Depends on the situation. I've been in riot situations and if its just me, I run. But if there are others who are my responsibility, I look for a way to help.

I have seen eyes turn black with rage. The riot environment really does bring out the worst in people.

Interesting reply, Baron. And my question is, how many people have you killed?

What does that have to do with my asking for a little more clarity in your terminology?

Without having some idea about what you mean, answering your initial question would be foolish and meaningless.

Myself, I have seen some funky shit in my days.

I don't know what to say to that remark ...especially in the context in which you used it? In the context, I'd say that you're admitting to killing someone.

Should I buy a gun as protection against those who would do me harm? Is it worth the price just so we can feel safe at night or when we are walking alone on a trail?

Those questions can only be answered by you. But let me ask you a question; do you carry insurance on your car? If so, why? Are you planning to get into an accident?

As to owning a gun ...would you feel safer carrying a gun? If so, why not just think of it as "insurance" just like you carry on your car? The insurance doesn't keep you from having car accidents, yet don't you feel more protected? If the gun makes you feel more protected, then surely it must be worth it, right?

Baron Max

Back