life forms that can feed off of kinetic energy?

siledre

Registered Senior Member
topic says it all, I've searched everywhere I can think of for this question but could find nothing on it, will it ever be possible to genetically engineer a life form to be able to use kinetic energy as food or something akin to food and that the absorption of the kinetic energy dissipates that energy in such a way that if applied into the oceans it could feed off very strong currents including tsunamis and thus make it so these waves never make it to shore or lessen them so they are much less of a danger?

Where would such a creature get the physical material for an increase in biomass from, either to grow or reproduce?

If the kinetic energy produces static electricity, maybe. If the organism possesses, let's say, antennae that are moved close together during actions involving kinetic energy and the antennae are able to net-absorb existing electrical current in the air.

However as Daecon said, there must be a means to acquire mass. Unless you are suggesting a massless lifeform.

Seems to me all the conditions are met by light (kinetic energy) and plants which absorb it along with minerals and CO2. As to oceans (and the algae/plants living therein) I think you are just mostly dreaming.

Back