Legal vs Moral

Fafnir665

You just got served.
Registered Senior Member
In the united states, certain types of mind altering substances are legal. Alcohol, a legal drug which when consumed in adequate quantities causes significant alteration of the users senses and disposition. Cigarettes, which cause the user to become addicted to the product, and require them to smoke on a regular basis.

It is quickly becoming socially unacceptable to the general public to indulge in either of these behaviors. Ads are played on the TV constantly to try to persuade children to not start with these activities, at any point in their life.

People are always talking about legalizing drugs. Doing such would increase tax revenue, manage the quality, etc. Wouldn't these chemicals, though legalized, still remain socially unacceptable? Or is there anyone out there that thinks it would become socially aceptable to indulge in them?

what's acceptable socially is constantly changing, very quickly.

if you compare today with only 10 years ago, you'll see so many changes. not only about drugs.

alcohol and jazz music were morally wrong in the 1920's.
if you'd ask someone during that time "do you think jazz would ever be OK in society?" ppl would have probably thought you're nuts.

who knows, 10 years from now maybe it'll be socially acceptable to smoke weed with your kids. (i hope not)

Ads are played on the TV constantly to try to persuade children to not start with these activities, at any point in their life
i think this won't be too effective. if you look at the larger picture, society is moving in the direction of liberalization, destroying taboos, increasing freedoms, removing barriers, etc.
whether all of it is good, i don't think so...

Back