LAW - American Style

kmguru

Staff member
WorldCom: A Gift to the Lawyers

Rule no. 1 in a bankruptcy: The lawyers get paid first. And in the case of WorldCom, there seems to be a race to the trough. Six law firms, plus investment bank Lazard Frères, are going after the long-distance carrier's remaining nickel in a big way. Three are billing WorldCom at or above the once-unheard-of rate of $700 an hour.

Topping the list is Bill McLucas of Wilmer, Cutler & Pickering. He's getting $715 an hour from WorldCom's board to investigate the company's dubious accounting activities. That is $65 an hour more than he got for doing the same at Enron. A respected former Securities & Exchange Commission enforcement chief, he can name his price to troubled firms trying to show how they're coming clean. McLucas says it's up to his firm how much he bills.

Superlobbyist Tommy Boggs is also billing $700 an hour to contain damage from congressional inquires. Top lawyers at leading bankruptcy firm Weil, Gotshal & Manges are pulling in that amount as well. Neither Boggs nor Weil Gotshal lawyers would comment.

Hundreds of other lawyers, associates, and paralegals are billing for lesser amounts, depending on level of experience. And many firms haven't even been named yet. Add in Lazard, which wants a $15 million "success fee" if it ends up restructuring WorldCom, and the bankruptcy fees may end up being the biggest on record.

- By Dan Carney

You seem to be criticizing the American law system...

..yes, it's easy to see the weak points of any system, since nothing is perfect, but criticism is useless unless you provide alternate answers to the problem you pose.

kmguru, I'd like to hear a better system than the American from you.

It is an oped piece by Dan Carney in Business Week. How can I criticize when I have not said a word?

If I could just get one hour of that work I could pay my rent for approximately

...gets calculator....

3 years.

I am not joking.

Bullshit. And after the good, generous, lovely lawyers have sorted out all the financial affairs there will be how much left to divvy up?

Not a fat lot is my guess.

Imagine the next lot of students all go to law school. Then all the businesses go out of business. Only left will be lawyers. Then they have to sue each other to earn a living....

Oh...what a feeling....

But all the businesses will NOT go out of business. The econ will keep growing unless we get some weirdass event, like an earthwide quake that splits the planet into smithereens, or maybe a worldwide fire that burns off more than 90% of plant life, or when some idiot decides to blow the whole planet apart with "nucular" weapons (not so far from reality, this one...guess who I'm referring to, the stinking asshole), etc etc.

Which, excluding possibly one, will not happen. The econ shall stand.

Back