Laser eye surgery

Teri

Curious
Registered Senior Member
Has anyone had laser eye surgery done or know of anyone who has? I'd love to have my eyesight fixed but the thought of being awake and having your eyes open freaks me out.

Cheers

You have to be awake while it's being done? I did not know that. BUt I think if it improves you as a whole and makes you feel better about yourself, go for it no matter what pitfalls are set in front of you.

Yes, I know all about it. The procedure takes about 15 minutes and you won't feel a thing. You have to go into the hospital to get the procedure done though. They will prepare you for your surgery and put you on a gurney to wheel you into the operating room. You are awake during the entire operation but don't see much because your eye is numbed with a local anisthethic. When you finish you are released within 2 hours of the surgery and the very next day the bandages are removed and you'll see perfectly once again without glasses.

How do they numb the eye, and would that stop the eyeball moving even slightly?

Teri said:
Has anyone had laser eye surgery done or know of anyone who has? I'd love to have my eyesight fixed but the thought of being awake and having your eyes open freaks me out.

Cheers
M*W: I've had laser eye surgery but not for vision improvement. I had a blood clot on my optic nerve that bled on my retina and needed to be removed. The first time I had laser eye surgery, the blood clot caused swelling in my eye (glaucoma), and I was in so much pain when I got the clinic (not hospital), the injection of a numbing agent beneath my eye actually didn't hurt at all because I was in so much pain. It readily numbed my eye, and then they lasered it. It was totally painless, and I sure felt a lot better. My condition recurs periodically due to vascular occlusion and another clot forms. Now when I go back to get it lasered, they just put numbing drops in my eye and laser away. It only takes about 5-10 minutes to "clean-off" my retina, and I'm totally awake. It's amazing what they can do these days in an office.

Now I've worked in the OR and seen lots of cataract removals and insertion of new lenses. In fact, I don't know if they're still doing it in the OR or not. In the case of cataracts, the patients are usually elderly, and the OR may just be a precaution. They're done after about 15 minutes in Recovery and walk out the door.

Don't fear anything! You'll be happy that you had it done!

I work in an OR . Go for it ,painless. Like MW says, done in about 20 mins. Laser is mainly used for myopia, so in some cases its not the way to go. Saying that all the other procedures are pain free, so i`m sure you`ll be fine.

My mother needs to have cataracts removed, if she has that procedure will her vision still need to be corrected if it was impaired?

My own vision is shortsighted and the beginning of cataracts forming.

I have heard that the procedure has not been perfected, that's why I'm hesitant; if they damage your eye then it can't be corrected - is that the case?

Your replies are really appreciated.
Cheers

Its just the lens thats the problem, both with myopia (short sight) and cataracts. I`ve seen hundreds of them,never a hint of a problem. They will test and measure your eyes for the right "fit" so to speak, and this will be ready for you in the operating theatre.
They will lay you on a table,put your head in a jelly ring to keep it stable and still.
wheel a big microscope in over your eyes,and ask you to stare at a light. Twenty mins later its done. there are no nerve endings on the cornea, hence no pain. Hope this helps a bit :)

Oh yeah, your mum will have lenses that will give her good vision again,but will probably need reading glasses. That`s because your eyes naturally wear out over time.when you bring a finger in slowly between your eyes,if at about 9 inches from them, if it starts to go out of focus , your on your way to a pair of glasses. The lens is harding due to age. happens to us all-bummer eh! ;)

Your answers are helping a great deal, thanks. Do you know how they actually keep your eyeballs themselves from moving? I can understand keeping your head still, it's just that I know you can still move your eyes even if your head was set in cement. I would really, really love to have it done, but it still sounds terrifying.

Teri - if I recall correctly, the laser auto-corrects for small movements in your eye, and you are sedated heavily so that you don't make a lot of rapid movements.

However, you should know that:
- The ten-year prognosis for laser eye surgery is still poor - a person's eyes tend to be corrected initially, but go out of focus again over a longer period of time.
- For some, vision does not improve even initially and the surgery does have some chance of failure
- Even if it works perfectly, laser keratotomy causes a lot of oblique scarring on the cornea. This means that your vision will be perfectly good during the day, but your night vision will suffer considerably from glare.

http://www.surgicaleyes.org/Starbursting.htm

There will be some music on, and because your staring at a small light source your eyes won`t move .Belive me. if any movement disturbs the surgeon he will simply stop,and then carry on. Like i said , don`t worry. :)

Ooops, the music and stuff is their to help you relax, and somebody will be at your side telling you whats going on the whole time

Yeah, BBHead has a point. I was on about corrective surgery. This is when an artificial lens is put in. Its a choice thing, myself i would have the corrective surgerydone.

High street stores can do it at bumper bargain prices if your worried about the costs. I say go for it, it cant be that dangerous or itd be government regulated more than it is.

I know a few friends that have had this procedure done and they say that it is:
-Painless
-Quick

I'm if you do get this procedure nothing 'bad' will happen.

I've considered it but am far too worried about the complications that can occur or any side effects.

Back