Land of the free as long as we say OK

Tiassa

Let us not launch the boat ...
Valued Senior Member
http://www.drcnet.org/wol/122.html#ondcp

So what's next? Government-funded scripts for abortion? Sexual "propriety"? Heck, why not subvert the Second Amendment and buy gun-control cooperation from the networks and newspapers?

Besides, what's all the hoopla about drugs? You can get Prozac for your dog; are you shy? then medicate! After all, a gram is better than a damn (Huxley).

I mean ... we can say it colloquially, but what happens when we must look at our media and declare, "Thank goodness for The Simpsons"? (I'm quite sure Groening and Company didn't sell out to the feds; "Drugs ... yeah, you gotta have drugs"--Homer Simpson)

We learned during the heavy metal and rap fights that the greater effort a government expends to limit specific forms of speech, the more critical that issue becomes instantly. (Take a copy of Anthrax's Attack of the Killer B's to an Al Gore campaign rally; the band calls his wife a whore several times :D ; or consider 2 Live Crew's reaction to censorship.)

I fully expect artists, now and again, to show the merits of things society declares wrong, by will or by proxy of will. Thus I fully expect a minor pro-drug retaliation in the next two television seasons.

But if your goal is to strengthen society with your actions, why choose a method that can only subvert that goal?

Of course, this is a world in which the UN has promised extinction of species Cannabis shortly after 2010. They're also testing a fungus to eliminate opium poppies; allegedly, they can keep it focused on only one crop :rolleyes: .

Why the heck is this so damn important? Is it because pharmaceutical companies want a coalition monopoly on drugs? Is it racism, sexism, or simple mean-spiritedness that drives the War Against Drugs? We're so damn caught up in this War that nobody knows why we're fighting it. Doesn't it seem that we should figure that out before bribing the media or extincting whole species to satiate our lusts?

I'm proud to be an American, I guess; the land of the free, the home of the brave ... just as long as a "Czar" tells me it's OK.

(I might add that our Drug Czar has refused to answer questions about the possibility of having used qualuudes before. This, of course, after he had already denied using marijuana, cocaine, opiates, or LSD.)

Sorry to rant ... this just really bugs me.

Thanx,
Tiassa

------------------
Take a side you say, it's black and gray. And all the hunters take the hunted merrily out to play. We are one, you say, but who are you? You're all too busy reaping in the things you never sown. And this feast must go on and on and on .... Nobody gives a damn. (Floater; "Beast")

tiassa,

<font color = "red">"So what's next? Government-funded scripts for abortion? Sexual "propriety"? Heck, why not subvert the Second Amendment and buy gun-control cooperation from the networks and newspapers?"</font>

I guess you read about the government subsidies for TV programs which include anti-drug themes in their scripts.

------------------
It's all very large.

My big complaint about it is that if the govermnet had no intention on using this for any thing other than good intentions, they would have come right out in the open with it. Instead they chose to do it behind closed doors and took some diggin to find out about. Any goverment who hides what they are doing in this area of life is up to no good. Of course they will hide covert operations and that is fine, but hiding the program of it's citizens wether for good or bad is wrong.

------------------
All I know is what I understand. All I understand is what I know. :)

Back