Lady Said She Didn't Know Police Drove Trucks, So Kept Going

Combine

Back from the Dead!!!!!
Registered Senior Member
(12/01/04 - BONNERS FERRY, ID) — She's not exactly the little old lady from Pasadena.

Nita Friedman, 66, led police on a puttering pursuit, driving at or under the speed limit for 15 miles through two counties.

The creeping chase on U.S. Highway 95 ended when three of Friedman's tires were blown out by a spike strip.

Police chief Mike Hutter said Friedman reported being confused because she was being pulled over by a four-wheel-drive Chevy Silverado pickup with lights in the grill. He said Friedman told Hutter she was from New York, and that in New York police drive cars.

"She just doesn't understand that she was doing anything wrong," Hutter said.

The chase started in Bonner County after Hutter got reports of a reckless driver.

Hutter said when he flipped on his lights and siren, it looked as if Friedman was pulling over. But she allegedly got back on the roadway and sped up to legal speeds between 50 mph and 60 mph.

Though Friedman never sped during the chase and even stopped behind a left-turning vehicle in Elmira, Hutter said he asked State Police to put a spike strip in the roadway.

When Friedman reached the spike strip, about three miles into Boundary County, she drove over it, stopped for a moment and then started driving again. But three of her tires were flattened, preventing her from getting far.

Friedman was charged with eluding police and reckless driving. She was jailed on $600 bail.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/news/bizarre/120104_APsn_ladychase.html

Thats fucked up, what else is fucked up is getting a parking ticket for backing into a space. . . sure, its only 15 bucks, but seriously. . . Where is the harm in backing into a space? arnt there some meth houses that need raiding?

Police are ass holes for some reason. does anyone have an idea as to what would cause them to be so arrogant? Is it training or are those kinds of people just drawn to the job.

Combine said:
(12/01/04 - BONNERS FERRY, ID) — She's not exactly the little old lady from Pasadena.

Nita Friedman, 66, led police on a puttering pursuit, driving at or under the speed limit for 15 miles through two counties.

When Friedman reached the spike strip, about three miles into Boundary County, she drove over it, stopped for a moment and then started driving again. But three of her tires were flattened, preventing her from getting far.

Friedman was charged with eluding police and reckless driving. She was jailed on $600 bail.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/news/bizarre/120104_APsn_ladychase.html

I have to agree with the cops on this one. While the story doesnt clarify how many police got involved, nor whether it was day or night, I suspect there were police in cars or trucks even, with flashing lights around the spike strips. She didnt begin to wonder if maybe things were different out in the mountains? She didnt seek aid from anyone. She didnt pull into any businesses. She kept driving and driving. On three flat tires. I am pretty sure that alone is wreckless driving.

I wonder if she welded her rims onto the drums driving on them like that.

<BR>&nbsp;

That's really weird, but if I were the cop, I would have given up. She wasn't doing anything wrong, and there's no reason to pop three of her tires and put her on $600 bail for nothing. 15 minutes for nothing? Give it a rest, officer.

In 1959 I was stopped by a prick cop in Manhattan, Kansas. Indeed I was speeding and had a few other legal problems. Long story so I'll skip many details but I had bought a car from a dealer in south Chicago. It later turned out the car was stolen and the dealer was part of a large car theft ring. The stolen car wasn't part of the ticket but was an explanation for not having all the normal papers (which had been promised to be sent in the mail.)

In any case when I was stopped I had pulled onto a side street. The cop proceeded to give me 21 (that is twenty one) citations. When he was done he backed out into the main roadway and sat there. So I backed up and was going to head on to base (Ft Riley, Kansas).

He turned on his lights and came up, pulled out his pad and said "You just backed onto a main throughafare from a side road", and was starting to write. At that point I thought *What the hell, it can't get any worse* and said "I am making a citizens arrest, you just backed on to a main throughafare from a side street without your emergency lights running. Without lights you are a citizen obligated to follow all the same rules and laws as the general population".

He quickly folded his pad and made some comment about he had best never see me in his town again" and left.

When my company commander asked how I was going to plea, I told him "Not Guilty". He informed me "No you are not, you are going to plead 'Guilty with extinuation circumstances'". Having tried to inquire as to how to keep me from missing an overseas assignment if sent to jail (which is what he was told was going to happen to me with the keys buried under it) he went with me to court that day.

The court was packed. The judge had called three others before mine. Each time reading the charge, asking for the plea and when given as guilty he had rapped his gavel and sternly gave maximum fines, one in the hundreds of dollars. Never cracking a smile. I was scared shitless about what was about to happen.

I walked before the judge and he began reading (4-5 pages of charges). After about 6 charges were read, there was laughter starting to occur in the court.

The judge wrapped his gavel and sternly told the court to remain quiet, and began to read again, turning the pages. After another dozen or so charges, the court was starting to buzz again. Very pissed off the judge wrapped the gavel again and told them to shut up (under my breath I was saying *shut the hell up, you are pissing him off*).

When he was finished reading all the charges and asked for my plea I pleaded the *guilty with extinuating circumstances*. My company commander came forward and the Judge asked who are you? He told him and that he was there to speak in my behalf. The judge said "That wasn't necessary" and looked at me and said "Mr McCoin, what possible circumstances?, can you explain this to the court".

I explained about having just purchased the car and not having gotten valid papers, etc but that I couldn't explain all the citations and told him about the backing onto the main street issue. The judge sat for a few moments and then said "Mr McCoin, you clearly have become a victum here but you have indeed broken some laws and must be held accountable - $30.00 pay the clerk - Next".

Damn what a surprise and relief that was and something I will never forget. :D

Last edited:
It is just like primal nature, "the survival of the fittest", they feast on the "weaker" because it is easier to catch.

Sure someone was stabbed or a shop was robbed because 10 patrol cars were after on small old lady behind the wheel.....
.....But that matters doesnt it ?

Back