Lactose intolerance

birch

Valued Senior Member

i'm one of those asians that are not lactose intolerant but i do have some family members that are.

what does this mean as far as ancestry or why i'm lactose tolerant and others biologically related to me are not?

From Birch Post 1
I'm one of those Asians that are not lactose intolerant but i do have some family members that are.

What does this mean as far as ancestry or why i'm lactose tolerant and others biologically related to me are not?
The above can be understood by considering some simple trait like eye color and assuming that lactose tolerance is an inheritable trait due to a specific pair of genes rather than due to more complex interactions among more than one pair of genes.

It is known that genes for darker eyes are dominant over genes for lighter colored eyes. Id est: Black/brown are dominant over other colors, with albino pink being low gene on the totem pole.

If a brown/black eyed spouse mates with a blue-eyed spouse, you would expect the offspring to have brown/black eyes unless some ancestor of the brown black eyed spouse had blue or albino eyes.

Back