Kropotkin's Evolution

toltec

Registered Senior Member
While in exile in England anarchist philosopher Peter Kropotkin suggested an additional factor in evolution, mutual aid.

The idea doesn't seem to have been widely covered but the scientists who have looked at it have seemed think it pretty sensible.

Looking at the higher mammals such as the way, lions, killer whales and wolves hunt together, monkeys and many herd animals mutually care for each others young or some prey animals have developed warning calls to other members of the group. I would say the idea has some merit.

It does indeed sound sensible.

I read something about how wolf packs often keep older members alive after they have lost their efficiency at hunting...But I can't find the stupid article now. :mad:

I don't know Kropotkin, but guess he was Russian. The Russian intelligentsia never bought into Darwin's more prominent metaphors - survival of the fittest; tangled bank; struggle for existence. Cooperation suffuses life from the sub cellular level to the entire biosphere. I'm with the Russians on this one.

While in exile in England anarchist philosopher Peter Kropotkin suggested an additional factor in evolution, mutual aid.

The idea doesn't seem to have been widely covered but the scientists who have looked at it have seemed think it pretty sensible.

Looking at the higher mammals such as the way, lions, killer whales and wolves hunt together, monkeys and many herd animals mutually care for each others young or some prey animals have developed warning calls to other members of the group. I would say the idea has some merit.

ahhh, finally someone is talking some sense around here--not enough mention of proudhon, bakunin, kropotkin, et al around here.

anyhow, who says this notion isn't considered? care is an intrinsic attribute of pack social animals, hardly a controversial notion.

Back