Korean Company to Clone Dead Pets

Each pet brings a new personality/character. They may be able to reproduce the body but never the spirit.
If it were a dog, he would probably have the same general temperament and a vaguely similar personality as the original. Anybody who's going to do this probably has a very intense relationship with their dog so if they treated him the same way as the original he would probably grow up to have many of the same endearing traits as the original. But he'd still be noticeably different.

Other species of pets aren't nearly so human-oriented so it would not be as easy to raise them to be a partial recreation of the original.

People are free to do whatever foolish things they want with their money. But I worry about the fact that we don't yet have a very good track record with the life expectancy of cloned animals. They could end up with another dead dog after a couple of years, or less.

We regard "pet" as a job, a member of the household staff. If our beloved old gardener or butler died (not that we actually have one but bear with me), we would be very sad but we'd still have to hire somebody new to do the job. Same with a pet. You can mourn the one who died but it's not disrespectful to get a new one.

It would be kind of creepy to clone your gardener and I would feel the same way about a cloned dog!

seems like people would rather clone a dead child, not a stupid pet. I mean, you expect to outlive a child, but who expects their pet to outlive them????

seems like people would rather clone a dead child, not a stupid pet. I mean, you expect to outlive a child, but who expects their pet to outlive them????
Parrots. There are many documented cases of parrots living past 100. People have to make arrangements in case they predecease their parrots. Unfortunately civilization is full of hazards for an animal that's stripped down for flight with such devices as hollow bones. Things that would make even a tiny cat go "ouch," like being caught in a closing door, will kill even a large parrot. Alex the African Grey, who was well on his way to mastering human language, recently died at only thirty. That was sad. I've never seen a report on how it happened, it's probably too embarrassing to own up to. Based on personal experience and anecdotal evidence, I'd say dogs are the leading cause of premature psittacine passing.

I know, parrots and turtles. I thought they were cloning mammals though.
I admit that it would be really hard to distinguish a cloned turtle from the original. :)

If anybody was heartbroken over the loss of a pet they'd had for a major portion of their life, it would be a parrot. (Been there done that.) Of course it would be impossible to get the same personality, they're too individual and too affected by their environment.

I agree. We could get the physical part down pretty well but the spirit and behavior of the animal would never be the same.

Back