KJV God And/Or Jesus As Role Models

StrangerInAStrangeLand

SubQuantum Mechanic
Valued Senior Member
-=-

What if many people actually followed the examples set forth of the actions of God & Jesus in The Holy Babble?

Exterminating thousands of people because 1 deems them immoral.
Cursing fig trees because they bear no fruit out of season.
Playing games with people as hapless pawns.
Condemning people to horrible suffering because of their beliefs or lack of such.
Killing a baby because its father did wrong.
Preaching to people in a manner meant for them to not understand.
Causing people to do "wrong" so that they can be punished for it.
Etc ...

What if many people actually followed the examples set forth of the actions of God & Jesus in The Holy Babble? ....

What if people actually followed the examples set forth by Genghis Khan and Attila the Hun in human history? Or perhaps Stalin? Pol Pot? Kim Il-Sung?

Baron Max

-=-

What if many people actually followed the examples set forth of the actions of God & Jesus in The Holy Babble?

Creator's Perogative

Oh, so you believe people have free will, and it is God suppressing that will?

Condemning people to horrible suffering because of their beliefs or lack of such.
Ah I see, You'd prefer God to force you to spend an eternity with him... Right ;)

Where?

Etc ...
Reference to Pharaoh? Mymy, we are well read, aren't we? And here I was taking you for the usual bigoted ignoramus who thought a deliberate mispelling of the word "Bible" was clever...

Heh, read Genesis 1 (in the Greek if you can). Then read Exodus. Just the sections where God speaks.

Call me when you notice anything interesting:)

Alternately, you could simply have read Romans 9 or Job and understood already what I'm saying. For one so well read, you certainly do seem to be a little... behind on the comprehension.

Last edited:
-=-

Check. We already do this.
By inventing better and bigger bombs.
But they are not called people anymore, the correct terminology is collateral damages

Is gene modification a blessing or a curse?

The IRB has rules about that.

Nowadays its called secularism.

Its liberal to be pro-choice

Its technical language for you plebs.

aka corporate capitalism. or structural adjustment policies. Take your pick.

-=-

Etc ...

this is a trolling thread! Mods?

Check. We already do this.
By inventing better and bigger bombs.
But they are not called people anymore, the correct terminology is collateral damages
Typical nonsense.
Smaller and better bombs. :p

kinda obsolete those religious morals wouldnt you think?

now try www.atheists.org
http://www.atheists.org/atheism/About_Atheism

The answer is yes. Morality is inborn to human animals. Like many other species, we have a natural aversion to killing each other without cause or provocation.

Furthermore, if "god" exists...

(1) Then "god" created everything that exists, including extreme evil. This "god" does nothing to intervene with that evil. Thus, this "god" is evil.
(2) This "god' requires worship. This "god" must be vain and insecure. Thus this "god" is not worthy of worship.
(3) This "god" created humans as his/her supposedly "chosen" race. This "god" then allows humans to suffer. Thus this "god" is petty and cruel.
(4) This "god" created everything, yet "everything" includes this "god." You cannot create yourself. Thus, this "god" cannot exist.

OK, so I've been seeing a lot of arguments about the morality of God. Usually posted by atheists, usually they fall into the two categories above. I think it's worth explaining.

1) God has done some bad things (ordering killings, etc) therefore is not good
2) Evil Exists, therefore God is evil, since God created everything.

So, the answers:
1) God's morality is not ours, and We cannot Judge God.

Start with the first of these arguments. Humans cannot point at everything God does and say "God did it therefore it's acceptable." The reason? Because God and humans have different functions. Namely, if I went out, bought a gun, and shot someone trying to rob a store, I'd be a vigilante, but the police do it all the time. Or if I went to death row and killed everyone there, I'd be a murderer, because only a court-sanctioned executioner can do that. I could continue, but I think the point is made.

The second point should be familiar to anyone who has actually read the bible. And by actually read, I mean read looking for answers, as opposed to trying to find holes. Both the book of Job and Ephesians 9 explain this theory quite well, but I'll restate here: We cannot Judge God, namely because we are not him.

Consider the following scenario: you have a dog, who, you've just found to have cancer. The kind and stage you don't recover from. As that dog is dying painfully, often it's better to consider giving it a shot so it won't suffer. Now, the dog, probably, doesn't know the cause of it's suffering, but it does know that you've stuck a needle in it and shortly afterwards everything's starting to go dark. I think it's totally reasonable for the dog, who has been my friend and companion for its whole life, to feel angry at me. But was I wrong for giving the shot, I who knew that the dog was doomed?

You see, God, if he exists, is omnicient. If people were more logical than they are, they'd realize that they won't always understand all his actions. The same way an amateur chess player will not always understand why world champion Garry Kasparov makes the moves he does, or my Dog doesn't understand why I'm killing her.

Hell, one could make the same argument about cancer cells who think that the doctor in charge of operation and chemo is the very devil himself :)

2) Unfortunately, the problem with evil is that we exist.

I fully believe that, if God were to try to abolish evil, he would begin by annhiliating the entire human race. If I point a gun at someone else, and pull the trigger, fully knowing what a gun is and what it's meant to do, it never made any sense to me to blame God for that person's death or injury.

If God wanted to save that person's life, he'd be forced to break into physical law a little bit. AKA a miracle. So say, every time someone tries to shoot someone else, they get hit by a bolt of lightning. And every time a plane was going to crash, gravity would reverse and people would float.

But tell me, living in a world like that, what would happen to physics? Would we actually be able to understand our universe at all? I think it far more likely that we'd still be hiding in caves and thinking that Lightning was a sign that God was displeased with us.

People ask another question too, though. Why are humans (at least partially) evil, if God created us? The answer is choice. If humans were ever to truly be more than puppets to God's will, we had to have choice, and, unfortunately, that means the capacity for evil.

I personally believe that God's highest morals are choice and consequence.

fiicere: I personally believe that God's highest morals are choice and consequence.

How is that god's moral? Every human being reaps what they sow so to speak, it's natural causation.

fiicere: I personally believe that God's highest morals are choice and consequence.

How is that god's moral? Every human being reaps what they sow so to speak, it's natural causation.

That's why I said it's God's moral and not ours. We don't have a choice about consequence.

But, I believe the reason we are alive (physically, if I were speaking about the metaphysical, I would have said exist), is to understand choice and consequence.

If that's not what you asked, please re-phrase and I'll try again...

That's why I said it's God's moral and not ours. We don't have a choice about consequence.

But, I believe the reason we are alive (physically, if I were speaking about the metaphysical, I would have said exist), is to understand choice and consequence.

If that's not what you asked, please re-phrase and I'll try again...

Well we differ you see as I see causation as a natural law. There is no proof or evidence that there is a god pulling that string.

Well we differ you see as I see causation as a natural law. There is no proof or evidence that there is a god pulling that string.

Every time someone says "no evidence," I'm going to repost this...

http://www.4shared.com/account/dir/18296364/49f11f08/sharing.html?rnd=96
password: free, usename: fiicere@yahoo.com

But yes, I was not referring to any "proof" at the time, mainly because I thought it was self-evident that all actions had consequences. People seem to think that if there were a God, somehow his purpose in the universe would to be to remove our negative consequences for us. Kinda like the Janitor who cleans up our mess. That's what I was objecting to.

To say God is responsible for murder if I point a gun at someone and pull the trigger is preposterous, absurd, and downright ludicrous. Why should we hold God responsible for OUR mistakes?

If my neighbor mows my lawn for me while I'm on vacation, or stops me from driving into a ditch by putting up traffic cones, I say "thank you." If my neighbor DOESN'T mow my lawn while I'm gone, and DOESN'T erect a sign telling me to be careful, I don't go yell at him for it.

So why do we feel that we can do that to God?

I'm not going to download the document just give me the gist of it.

fiicere: So why do we feel that we can do that to God?

Well as someone who doesn't believe in god I don't feel anything about it, meaning I don't try and rationalize the ideas of those who blame things on a god, its like blaming something on the mythological fairy.

They're labeled "fundamentalists" and are alienated from the mainstream "modern" theists as kooks.

Obviously. Anyone trying to act as if he were God (unless he actually was), is clearly crazy.

I tried saying "let there be light" once, when I was little, but nothing happened. Apparently, I'm not God ;)

Obviously. Anyone trying to act as if he were God (unless he actually was), is clearly crazy.

No one said anything about acting like a god, only following gods commands, which few theists do.

Theists love to play pretend but don't want all the vicious rules and regulations that go along with the game, they pick and choose which rules to follow or change to suit their roles.

If you're not a pretender and are dead serious about playing the game, you follow the rules and regulations closely and diligently, and are labeled a fundamentalist and a kook by the pretenders.

Back