Keeping a Dream journal

Wrong Robot

Registered Senior Member
What's the value of keeping a dream journal?

I've heard it helps you keep track of your dreams, and all your thoughts, then when you go to bed, since your previous night dreams are organized and stuff, you are more likely to have a more vivid dream.

I don't know, I've also heard that somehow they can help you achieve lucidity. Keeping a regular journal.

Any advice in terms of format, or should it just be as I remember hte dream, record data.

In my expirience, just writing the stuff down in a single book, and dating each entry is enough. The main goal for me is to have a record, but having the entried dated has helped me win a few arguments.

Plus, by dating, you may find some dream patterns over time! Maybe every wednesday during the spring you dream about dolphins, or something. crasy stuff, dreams.

good luck!

I can't remeber my dreams when I wake up in the morning. Alot of them are strange and funny, but I'm never quite awake enough to think I should write it down. What can I do?

Place a pen and paper on your night table.
As soon as your eyes open force yourself up and write.
Even if you only remember a 2sec spot write it down.
Over time your recall will build.
;)

Everyone dreams, even if you don't remember them.
Your body enters deep, then REM sleep. At that point your brainwave activity changes and you dream. Some scientists think that the brain sorts information such as short and long term memory and getting rid of garbage (feelings and experiences that have no use ex being cold at 2:00). This could be why lucid dreaming is such an experience.
As you wake up you brain activity switches back and your memory of dream is identified as not real and discarded.
You can train yourself to remember dreams by sleeping in an uncomfortable place (keeps you partially awake and so you remember part of your dream). I sleep sitting up on my couch now and then to get vivid dreams. When you do remember part of a dream write it down. Eventually your recall will become better.
Most people start with almost no recall ability.

i naturally have rather vivid dreams, and i usually remember at least a bit of them after i wake up. i kept a dream journal for about a week or so last year, and it helped me to kind of make sense of some of my subconscious thoughts, feelings, and so forth. I have heard that keeping a journal can help you to develop lucid dreaming, although I don't experience a lot of this. If nothing else, by writing down the parts of your dreams you can remember, I believe it will make it a little easier to recall future dreams if you do this regularily.

I have kept a dream journal for nearly a year. (one year this august) I type my dreams on my computer because when Im really tired its harder to write legit. Anyhow, I have very very good dream recall now. It was fairly good before I started but keeping it has enhanced my recall. Anyhow, I only lucid dream when I ask myself at least once every half hour durring the day for a week, or when I ask myself if I am dreaming just before I go to bed about 150 times.. that almost gauranties a lucid dream for me. But after I have said that aloud I play it on my tape recorder. (so I recorded the 150 times of "am I dreaming")

I used to keep one, and it really helped me recall my dreams. I read an article in some magazine which detailed how to remember your dreams, and what the benefits of doing so were, so I thought I'd have a go.

Firstly, it helps if you start trying to enhance your dream recall during summer. First thing in the morning, if you have remembered any dream, write it down right away, using the aforementioned handy notebook. If you don't recall anything, lie there, and imagine the sun coming up, and it getting lighter and lighter. As you dream during REM, and get this quite often in the mornings, as you come out of deep sleep, because you are being slowly awoken by sunlight, envisaging this might help your recall. It worked for me, anyway.

So, I started keeping a log. Now, I can remember a lot of my dreams when I wake up, which has benefits.

Often dreams are a different perspective of recent experiences, so it's good to see things differently sometimes. I have learned to
recognise my 'stress dreams' so know when something is bothering be subconsciously, and I can do something about it.

My 'stress dreams' often have me back at school. I know I shouldn't be there (I should be at work!), and this conflict is the manifestation of some stress. Or, I'm travelling somewhere, and have too much baggage, or I have misplaced baggage along the route. Obvious symbolism there I think!

But also, in my dreams I can often fly (which is nice to remember) don't bleed when cut (well once only, but that was a strange experience) can walk on my hands, and perform various gymnastic feats. And I'm the star, better than watching films, I'm in the action!

keeping a dream journal helps you program your unconciousness to remember dreams. I just started mine but I've read this book Remembering Your Dreams by Craig...... and it has really opened my eyes to dreaming. Did you know that we might actually be dreaming in our "awakeness"? Anyway later, you can go back and look for patterns and such. Dream Journals help me, and I think it's a good way o get in touch with your dreams. I keep 2 - my dayly journal and my dream journal. You might want to get a sketchbook for doodles, mind maps, and just soemthings like drawing.

Dreaming while awake, yes, happens, especially after long periods without sleep. Parts of you brain will go into dream sleep, while others are active, so the person my suffer hallucinations, as the dream experience gets overlayed onto reality.

Saw a documentary from the 50's where this guy was kept awake for weeks, and suffered all manner of hallucinations, and permanent personality changes. Sleep is very important, and it's quite strange what happens if you mess with it.

Back