Kamanyiuk

Fenris Wolf

Banned
Banned
There doesn't seem to be a more appropriate forum for this, it's more behavioural than genetic. However.

Kamanyiuk, a solitary lioness, developed the habit of adopting oryx calves as her own cubs. At the time of the documentary (17 days of footage by a ranger) she'd adopted 5 calves in total but I've since learned there was at least one more. None appear to have lasted longer than the first.

It may be old news to some, but has anyone any comments on this? I looked it up after seeing the documentary. Here are a couple of the more decent links :

http://www.lewa.org/oryx-lioness.php
http://www.awf.org/news/6143

Any one have any opinions or theory?

Interesting:

from quoted article said:
Appearing out of nowhere, the lion and the lamb curl up side by side.

Isaiah 11:6
And the wolf will dwell with the lamb,
And the leopard will lie down with the young goat,
And the calf and the young lion and the fatling together;
And a little boy will lead them

Would you like to hear mine or would it be old news?
Eenie.
Meenie.
Mienie.
Mo.

"Old news to some" as this happened in 2002 or thereabouts. I simply thought it may have been discussed before but I hadn't heard of it until now.

Please do. I'd almost given up.

I've never heard it, but I'm not surprised. The mothering instinct is a strong one. It's odd that it developed a "thing" for kidnapping babies from just the one species though. Maybe the Oryx is the only species at hand that is easily acquired? Human children are sometimes kidnapped by animals, as well. Strange but true. Always thought it was a myth until just recently.

Interesting the disparity between the two articles. I almost wondered if we were dealing with the same lion for minute or two. The first doesn't even mention any calves being taken away by rangers.

Over the next year, Kamunyak adopts 5 more oryx calves, but none last as long as the first. One dies of starvation, some escape, the last she abandons after just a few hours and it’s found by its mother.

As compared to:

Nine game wardens surrounded and tranquillized the frail oryx calf as it dozed fitfully in the shade of an acacia tree. Kamuniak - or The Blessed One - as the lioness has been christened by local people, had left the oryx and went hunting.

The second story seems to be just a blurb about the second incident. But, it's interesting that the first doesn't mention this rescue. The first seems rather more emotional, as well. The horrible, tragic scene of the calf being torn apart by another lion. It's a pity that a more competent researcher could have stayed on the job. Follow the lion and see whether she continued her kidnapping spree in another, less-peopled, locale. Would have been interesting to examine her brain after she eventually dies. Determine if it's neurological or psychological or possibly not even that deviant of a behavior...

I wonder about the lion. Was she, as they suggested, from a pride that splintered. Or was she driven from a pride for irrational behavior. She was not only starving the calf, but she was starving herself, too.

We have learned much about our brains by studying brain-damage and psychosis. Maybe the way to learn more about animal psychology is in studying insane animals. I suppose that most lab animals probably count as insane. But it's not a natural insanity. They've been driven insane by their captivity and torments.

Problem with attempting to study insane animals, I suppose. Is that they don't often live long in the wild. Would have to devise some sort of animal sanitarium to maintain long studies. And of course that would shift the results, unless buku bucks were spent on the facilities. Make the animal think it is in the wild. Including occasional "perceived" dangers. Don't want them getting soft.

Actually Invert, I only did the web research after watching the documentary, and found many varying accounts ranging from these two (although the best of the bunch that I saw, still lacking in both accuracy and detail) to the BBC report (one I'd normally trust) - getting it almost completely wrong.

The documentary consisted of 17 days of filming by one dedicated Ranger. She of course lost the lioness on occasion, and it ended with the death of the first calf at the hands of the male lion. Even that took her by surprise - she was filming Kamanyiuk sleeping at the time and swung the camera around on hearing the bawls of the calf, which had strayed. Watching Kamanyiuk's reaction was fascinating - she followed and watched as the calf was eaten, and then sniffed around the final spot and stayed there - behaviour closely matching that of a lioness losing a cub. The final five minutes briefly covered the events after the first - Kamanyiuk taking more Oryx calves, and her final disappearance after a total of 5 - although I imagine they must have found her again because I've heard reports of a 6th.

The events leading up to her taking the first are unfortunately a matter of speculation. She was spotted with the first calf and it was reported to the ranger, who did the followup, including filming her as often as possible. It was interesting that she fostered an oryx calf, as these are traditional prey of lions. She did hunt Oryx both before and after she took it, but I don't know if she did "during" (except on one occasion when the calf escaped back to the Oryx herd, and she "hunted" them with the purpose of scattering the herd in order to get her calf back). I read reports that the calf was "allowed" to feed off its natural mother, but I doubt this - The film clearly showed it was more of an escape when the calf was starving, and upon discovering it was gone Kamanyiuk immediately sprung into action to get it back. Not only this, but the age at which the calf was taken speaks volumes - it had not yet developed any flight reflex (something Oryx develop almost immediately after birth) and the term "natural mother" is questionable when no one knew which oryx that might have been - or if the mother was even alive. The calf tried to feed from Kamanyiuk on several occasions.

I'd disregard that escape report entirely. I don't even think the calf was trying to escape so much as feed - its total relaxation in her presence was fascinating to watch. It had no fear of her (nor of other lions - which inevitably led to its demise).

That she was a survivor of a local pride killed off by local tribes is also speculation. It is merely a possible explanation of her being solitary.

I saw the documentary with Ms Douglas Hamilton (who i want to shaft badly) and I got the impression it was confirmed that her pride had been ******** which traumatised her and lead to this strange behaviour.
It seemed plausible to me.

One area in which I disagreed with Ms Hamilton (who i want to shaft badly) is how she feeled compelled not to interfere. It seems by existing we interfere with the rest of the animal kingdom in a negative way anyway so helping in a positive way with such a depressing situation seems justified to me. I don't know how they could watch that calf starve to death. I liked the suggestion of the african guy that said they should be put in captivity and fed and allowed to live a happy life together.
To me it seemed thats all they wanted anyway, they liked eachother they just couldn't support eachother. This was an area we could have helped out with and I'm disappointed that we didn't.
I still want to bang Saba douglas hamilton though, maybe even in the butt.

paulsamuel said:
it appears to be a very tragic story and the result of (again!, sigh) the devastating effects humans have on nature

Paulsamuel, did you fall and hit your head on the concrete again?

"Please do. I'd almost given up. "

Will do. Fourth of July brings its baggage of social gatherings and ordeals so it will have to wait a while. I'm sure these others will keep this thread nice and warm in the meanwhile.
Poor calf.

I liked the suggestion of the african guy that said they should be put in captivity and fed and allowed to live a happy life together.

The perfect application of the mad animal asylum. It would be interesting to see if the calf grew up to be carnivorous. Imagine the calf having a go at it's natural mother...

Among Dr. Lou's putrid gibberish:
I saw the documentary with Ms Douglas Hamilton (who i want to shaft badly) and I got the impression it was confirmed that her pride had been ****** which traumatised her and lead to this strange behaviour.
It seemed plausible to me.
....is found this strange little thing I've been after, even put a thread up concerinng it to have it deleted behind my fucking back.
Anyway- that string of asterisks.

Write out this word: p.o.i.s.o.n.e.d
without any periods.
See what happens. Why this happens has irked me to no end and no one can explain it to me.
Why?

Moving on:

Any one have any opinions or theory?

Quickly: her heirloom as mammal is the need of warmth.
Disnengaded from pride, she is lost in a distortion of instict which she placates with a calf. This is both her surivival and detriment, it keeps both (calf and lioness) alive in the sustenance of her mothering instinct yet destroys both with its abnormality.

"Meaning: for her dispossession of her lioness-ness a simple calf teaches her the pridewarmth that is alien to her. As a mammal, this strengthens her heritage as one (a mammal) but destroys what she is, as it does the calf. Together, they internalize each other and it leads to impoverishment as its done in isolation. Without vigilance or censorship, the experiment dies with its experimenters. "- gendanken

This cross-consolation works among humans and the animals they keep for company since its a communal spectacle that with time domesticates itself into a commonplace.
This experimentation also works in situations like Koko, who was known to keep kittens, as it does for other animals we know that keep pets since the experiment is .........smoothed, in a sense...by the vigilance of humanity. Why?
Leisure.
Kamayahuk experimented in isolation, so the the experimenter (lioness) dies with the experiment (cross-consolation, lion and calf).

Last edited:
Her need also puts me in mind of how most of life has adapted to a poison gas- oxygen.
Every breath means life but for every molecule we breathe in, death creeps closer and closer with its poisonus destruction of our bodies.
Detrimental survival.

Back