Justice?

wesmorris

Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N
Valued Senior Member
I don't know if I have the fortitude at the moment to develop a lengthy argument to support the point, but will respond as well as possible to dissent directed at the premise:

Justice is a juvenile illusion.

I'm not entirely convinced that I myself believe this, but it's been simmering in the back of my mind for some time now and I want to examine it with your help.

To me, the notion of justice is based upon the premise of blame. Blame is IMO, a juvenile notion (which follows to justice).

To support the above:

Justice is based upon the notion of blame because we "blame" the "party we think must be responsible" even though we often can't prove it without a doubt and thus extract some "justice" from them in payment for their misdeed. (just tying the two together)

Blame is a pointless revisitation and dwelling of the past. It's basically finger pointing: "my sister broke the vase". What relevance does this have in the present? The vase is broken. What is important is how to avoid future vase crashes. If this involves a revisitation to the past to determine how the vase was broken, then that's fine. If the person who actually broke the vase must be restrained in order to avoid breaking more of them then perhaps that must be done. Perhaps the system can be altered to ensure that the vase doesn't fall when she is jumping on the bed. Either way, "justice" is an irrelevant, petty notion that does nothing toward solving potential problems in the future.

Bah. I'm losing my train of thought for now and haven't made much of a case. I'll be back later to try to expand and develop.

Meh.

Maybe first we should discuss:

What is justice?

"Justice" is a society's idea of a fair and equitible retribution and/or punishment for the wrongdoing of one of its members (or outsiders, as the case may be). As you can readily see, "justice" is purely subjective based on that society's (0r person's) ideas of "right n' wrong".

"Justice" is NOT based on the premise of blame, but on the premise of responsibility for ones own actions. Blame is not a "juvenile" notion at all ...but it is taught early in life by the parents of juveniles, so perhaps you're making that confusing connnection? Blame is, in fact, the idea of holding someone or some thing responsible for the act, whatever it might have been. "Justice" is making the person "pay" for what he's done.

Baron Max

all are not just that do me no wrong; but he that will not wrong me when he may, he is truly just.
-cumberland.

he who is only just is cruel.-who on earth could live where all judged justly?
-byron

Baron:

You and I arm wrestle. During the match, you tell me "fucked your sister". I get so infuriated or taken aback that I lose to you because I lack focus. Or hell maybe you're just stronger than me or better at arm wrestling. I blame you for my loss.

Does my blaming you, or deciding that you should "pay" for your infraction of the rules (that says no sister comments)? Or should I work on my game?

See what I mean?

Wes:

Were we to follow your logic presented in your second post, life as we know it would be possible. It'd be akin to saying that someone who is robbed, or raped, or assaulted, ought to simply "improve their game", as it were, instead of also punishing those who commit the aforementioned infractions. Even on the level of a board game, such as chess, it'd be akin to allowing people to make any move they want even if it is illegal, then blame it on the other person for not making that same move.

Justice may be defined as retribution and is, in manyways, civilized revenge. It has been adopted to essentially represent the fact that someone may be harmed and, to rectify that harm through returning them to neutral-or-better cirumstances, generally serves to assist that person and to avoid further infractions which cause a break down of society that is unacceptable.

Prince_James said:
Wes:

Were we to follow your logic presented in your second post, life as we know it would be possible. It'd be akin to saying that someone who is robbed, or raped, or assaulted, ought to simply "improve their game", as it were, instead of also punishing those who commit the aforementioned infractions. Even on the level of a board game, such as chess, it'd be akin to allowing people to make any move they want even if it is illegal, then blame it on the other person for not making that same move.

Which is ultimately how things really are, don't you think? Seriously? Does "justice" in and of itself protect society? Is that how the problem of stablity should be approached? To me, it seems that in terms of the systems involved, the past is the past. Certainly it sucks that whatever badness happened did, but at the point at which it is part of the past it cannot be changed. There is no means to recitify past events.

IMO, when a person commits a crime like assault, robbery, whatever.. he is kept away from society in jail, not for "justice" but in order to make people safe. We "improve our game" by locking the bastard up. To me, this is not "justice" but simply prudent manuevering. I'm not bitching about laws. I'm exploring the idea that perhaps the notion of justice is fundmentally flawed in the sense that it attempts retro-action on a uni-directional timeline.

Maybe it's just my idea of justice that's screwed up... but to me it's almost synonomous with revenge, which while a very human notion... is not the highest of notions. IMO, the focus of the legal system shouldn't be tied into the potentially poisonous notion of revenge. Deterrence is fine, but IMO... justice itself, as a concept isn't directly correlated to deterrence. It's foundations seem to me to be related to "righting wrongs". In some sense, though potentially satisfying, a wrong can't really be righted. You can't travel back in time and undo stuff.

This and moral relativism beat the snot out of justice, IMCO. (current opinion). I was going to start a thread on moral relativism too and haven't gotten around to it. It's been a while since a good debate on that topic.

Justice may be defined as retribution and is, in manyways, civilized revenge.

LOL... I hadn't read this part yet when I wrote the above. Funny. IMO, there is nothing civilized about revenge. What do you think?

It has been adopted to essentially represent the fact that someone may be harmed and, to rectify that harm through returning them to neutral-or-better cirumstances, generally serves to assist that person and to avoid further infractions which cause a break down of society that is unacceptable.

Well I don't diagree with the principles put forth, but think "justice" quite a misnomer.

I think we enjoy thinking of it as "justice" because it gratifies our emotional need/ego, when in fact.. there is no such thing (as justice). I also think that thinking of it that way is a misleading approach to comprehending human interaction.

If you think of it as "improving your game" IMO, it's a much more mature, realistic model of what's really happening. If you think of it as "civilized revenge", the focus of the ever-changing system of laws we call "the justice system" will be far less effective because it's guided by emotion rather than cool headed management.

Last edited:
wesmorris:

Which is ultimately how things really are, don't you think? Seriously? Does "justice" in and of itself protect society? Is that how the problem of stablity should be approached? To me, it seems that in terms of the systems involved, the past is the past. Certainly it sucks that whatever badness happened did, but at the point at which it is part of the past it cannot be changed. There is no means to recitify past events.

Whilst we can surely not erase the past - and indeed, in such a way is justice impotent - we can attempt to rectify conditions to such an extent as past violations are mitigated in the harm they continue to inflict upon the present. For instance, were someone to burn down my house, never would I be able to live in said house again, but by being given a new and better house, I'd have at least the satisfaction of having the harm mitigated and, ontop of that, the suffering and inconveinence dealt with by upgrading my position, specifically if it is made to be given to me by the person who wronged me.

Now, as to whether justice protects society? My answer to this is a resounding: YES. As Machiavelli would agree, rule by fear is a rule with strength. By provoking fear in the hearts of those who may be more prone to criminal behaviour, we inspire within them a resistance which otherwise would be lacking in a state of nature. Naturally, this does not always work, but it works far better than doing nothing whatsoever, specifically as if there were no consequences for any act whatsoever, none would be protected and society, again, would be impossible to keep up. The only situation in which there can exist no law and which there can exist peace is ultimately in a position of MAD and even then, there are cases where MAD can fail to prevent things, as it could have had ten thousand times over in the Cold War.

I think it does well to consider punishment as the negative analogue to the profit motive. The profit motive is extremely effective as it seeks to impart benefit upon the individual for doing such an action, increasing the chances that he shall choose to do so. However, it is not only benefit, but a lack of harm that we also seek, and thus to threaten punishment similarly speaks to the self-interest of man, specifically if said punishment is horrific enough. There were no major slave rebellions once Spartacus and his cohorts were used to light the Appian Way at night, their charred and rotting corpses then allowed to be picked upon by carrion-feeding birds for months on end until the skeletons themselves fell off the crosses.

IMO, when a person commits a crime like assault, robbery, whatever.. he is kept away from society in jail, not for "justice" but in order to make people safe. We "improve our game" by locking the bastard up. To me, this is not "justice" but simply prudent manuevering. I'm not bitching about laws. I'm exploring the idea that perhaps the notion of justice is fundmentally flawed in the sense that it attempts retro-action on a uni-directional timeline.

Perhaps you are misconstruing justice in and of itself? It does not truly right the past, but rather, is a useful tool for mitigating the past's effect on the future in such a way as a rational person is generally better off. No act of justice can change what happened in the past, but it does the next best thing in making one better off in the present, and in that way, the "wrong has been righted". Were one to be robbed of 100 dollars, then one were to receive 110 in direct relation to the act, one in general would consider the case rectified in a suitable manner.

Maybe it's just my idea of justice that's screwed up... but to me it's almost synonomous with revenge, which while a very human notion... is not the highest of notions. IMO, the focus of the legal system shouldn't be tied into the potentially poisonous notion of revenge. Deterrence is fine, but IMO... justice itself, as a concept isn't directly correlated to deterrence. It's foundations seem to me to be related to "righting wrongs". In some sense, though potentially satisfying, a wrong can't really be righted. You can't travel back in time and undo stuff.

Why do you think revenge is so bad? Should we simply allow people to roll over us?

This and moral relativism beat the snot out of justice, IMCO. (current opinion). I was going to start a thread on moral relativism too and haven't gotten around to it. It's been a while since a good debate on that topic.

Morality may be relative - or it may not - but this does not mean we cannot speak of societal laws, which ultimately are really more fruitful to speak of when speaking of any matter of "right" and "wrong". As morality is ultimately a social phenomena, speaking of morality outside of that can, in general, be a bit fruitless, specifically as there is often no objective foundation nor practical reason. On a societal level, however, one has a great practical reason to simply obide by most of the laws: IF you don't, you'll go to jail or be executed.

LOL... I hadn't read this part yet when I wrote the above. Funny. IMO, there is nothing civilized about revenge. What do you think?

I'm Aristotlean in my notion that it is only a base man who allows another to take advantage of him. Revenge, in order to assert one's unwillingness to be harmed, is fundementally healthy in that sense. It is slavish to tolerate beyond the point of toleration.

Well I don't diagree with the principles put forth, but think "justice" quite a misnomer.

We often tend to surround concepts - such as justice - with a sort of supernatural aura that, once stripped away, makes for the reality to be all the more disappointing. We speak of justice as a grand thing, revenge as a horrible thing, yet is this truly logical? It would seem to connect back to the Christian concept of no revenge, a concept which has ultimately poisoned our minds against anything but fake "justice". Of course, one might also speak of justice as being detached from self-centric notions, but according to my theory of Selfishness, I would say this is merely misunderstanding the Self-focused nature of all things.

I think we enjoy thinking of it as "justice" because it gratifies our emotional need/ego, when in fact.. there is no such thing (as justice). I also think that thinking of it that way is a misleading approach to comprehending human interaction.

So you would say there is only such a thing as revenge?

If you think of it as "improving your game" IMO, it's a much more mature, realistic model of what's really happening. If you think of it as "civilized revenge", the focus of the ever-changing system of laws we call "the justice system" will be far less effective because it's guided by emotion rather than cool headed management.

Not necessarily. One can, in general, determine what ought to be done in a society to keep it structured without making recourse simply to emotion. Of course, this also requires self-control in the situations themselves. This is not always possible, but generally speaking, one need not make recourse, overally, to emotion, when framing societal needs and the like.

I agree with you, Wes, 'justice' is nothing more than the barely whitewashed ugly face of Revenge, nothing more, nothing less. It is ugly and unnecessary and painful and perpetrates horrors upon all touched by it's evil finger!
Kill the Meme!
Kill the Meme!
Kill the Meme!
Kill the Meme!
Kill the Meme!
Kill the Meme!
Kill the Meme!

Not to sound horrifically nerdy to make such a reference, but popular culture presents an excellent representation of this issue:

Justice's true representation is Batman, yet people think Superman is the epitome of justice.

wesmorris said:
..., "justice" is an irrelevant, petty notion that does nothing toward solving potential problems in the future.

But it DOES help solve potential problems in the future.

If a person steals from others, and nothing is done to him ...i.e., there is no "justice" done, then what's to stop him, and others like him, from stealing whenever they want or need something that someone else owns?

"Justice" is, in fact, a deterrent to any future, similar acts. Without any laws and the associated punishment, what is there to stop people from doing whatever they want? Your analogy about "juveniles" is somewhat appropriate ...the parents' system of "justice" is exactly how they teach their children the concepts of "right n' wrong". And without such a system, without that ideal of "justice", why should the kid listen or obey the parents? "Justice" in this case, is whatever the parents decide ...and it's far, far from being a universal ideal!

It seems to me, Wes, that ye're seeking something that we usually term as "universal or absolute justice" ....rather than justice as determined by an isolated community or society.

If there were only five people on the entire planet, and one kills another. If the remaining four people decide that justice is hanging the killer, and they all agree, then it is, in fact, justice.

Baron Max

Baron Max said:
But it DOES help solve potential problems in the future.

No, the falseness of "justice" doesn't do that. Prudent manuevering does.

If a person steals from others, and nothing is done to him ...i.e., there is no "justice" done, then what's to stop him, and others like him, from stealing whenever they want or need something that someone else owns?

What we do is deter by advertising consequences and prudently plan. This is not justice. There is no justice done, ever. It's a farce to think it has been.

Justice is revenge, which is a vindictive notion. Vindictiveness is based in cruelty, and deliberate cruelty is not constructive to anyone. Two wrongs don't make a right, blah blah.

"Justice" is, in fact, a deterrent to any future, similar acts.

Like I said above, this is a misnomer. It's not at all justice.

Without any laws and the associated punishment, what is there to stop people from doing whatever they want?

I covered this already more than once. Laws and associated punishment are not justice, and are not what I'm criticizing. It's calling laws and punishment "justice". It is not. IMO, it's "improving your game". Get me?

Your analogy about "juveniles" is somewhat appropriate ...the parents' system of "justice" is exactly how they teach their children the concepts of "right n' wrong". And without such a system, without that ideal of "justice", why should the kid listen or obey the parents? "Justice" in this case, is whatever the parents decide ...and it's far, far from being a universal ideal!

But justice is an ideal notion, and promotes idealism in its continued useage.

Justice is an idealistic notion that cannot be achieved in reality and as such, should be abandoned. Idealism is poison to the mind.

It seems to me, Wes, that ye're seeking something that we usually term as "universal or absolute justice" ....rather than justice as determined by an isolated community or society.

I'm basically just complaining that the idealistic notion you refer to is the basis of the concept. Saying things like "justic has been served" is to me, horrifically wrong, misleading and well basically.. a warm fuzzy to ease the reality that justice cannot be actually served. That vindictive aspect as noted above also bothers me about this, as it poisons the ideas surrounding "justice".

If there were only five people on the entire planet, and one kills another. If the remaining four people decide that justice is hanging the killer, and they all agree, then it is, in fact, justice.

Like I said above, I don't think of that as "justice". To me, that's just prudent manuevering for survival. There is no justice in killing the killer, but there IS prevention and safety.

Ah... I think we may call it justice because part of the power of the government is granted by "god" through the people...

In serving "justice" we must presume divinity. I think I'm starting to see.

It's hard to explain, but basically the god meme allows its power to those who serve it and as such they become its hands. This is ideal, in that it is divine, so justice is served by god through man. Which of course is a crock.. but crocks make the world go round. Hmmm.

nameless said:
I agree with you, Wes, 'justice' is nothing more than the barely whitewashed ugly face of Revenge, nothing more, nothing less. It is ugly and unnecessary and painful and perpetrates horrors upon all touched by it's evil finger!
Kill the Meme!
Kill the Meme!
Kill the Meme!
Kill the Meme!
Kill the Meme!
Kill the Meme!
Kill the Meme!

You are insulting Wes. :mad:

Heal the 'perp'.
Healing 'misfits' hasn't been a 'priority, eh? It's easier to lock em away or kill them. Perhaps we havent the 'health' to share? Perhaps money spent on SUVs takes priority to that spent on finding methods to 'heal' and 're-educate' in a compassionate manner? Perhaps our general lack of real compassion is why we go the ugly route?

Isolate with compassion.
If all else fails, isolating the 'perp' from his communal prey is another, less desirable 'solution'. It bespeaks a certain 'impotence' on the part of society, an inability to make contact on any but superficial levels. Isolation can be accomplished with compassion, though, a 'virtue', rather than 'vengence', a ... uh.. 'non-virtue'.

Last edited:
loki_ghost said:
You are insulting Wes. :mad:
(I'd be happy to insult you, but, oops, you've contributed nothing here to comment upon!)
Seems to me that there is something lacking in a full grown man (if you are) that uses these little smiley faces in his communications.
But, hey, thank you for sharing.
Have a nice day.

Last edited:
Wesmorris:

What we do is deter by advertising consequences and prudently plan. This is not justice. There is no justice done, ever. It's a farce to think it has been.

How is this not justice?

Justice is revenge, which is a vindictive notion. Vindictiveness is based in cruelty, and deliberate cruelty is not constructive to anyone. Two wrongs don't make a right, blah blah.

How is justice a "vindictive notion"? And in what way is it "based on cruelty"? Moreover, why should someone not be cruel when they have been treated cruely? All actions have an equal and opposite reaction, so it stands to reason that one ought to employ said maxim towards one's retaliation towards being treated illy.

I covered this already more than once. Laws and associated punishment are not justice, and are not what I'm criticizing. It's calling laws and punishment "justice". It is not. IMO, it's "improving your game". Get me?

You seem to have this sense of presumption of something greater, which you haven't truly pointed out is necessary. Why must we consider justice something sublime and wonderful apart from the laws and such?

But justice is an ideal notion, and promotes idealism in its continued useage.

Justice is an idealistic notion that cannot be achieved in reality and as such, should be abandoned. Idealism is poison to the mind.

How is it "idealistic"?

Like I said above, I don't think of that as "justice". To me, that's just prudent manuevering for survival. There is no justice in killing the killer, but there IS prevention and safety.

WHat makes justice the act of "prevention and safety"?

Ah... I think we may call it justice because part of the power of the government is granted by "god" through the people...

In serving "justice" we must presume divinity. I think I'm starting to see.

It's hard to explain, but basically the god meme allows its power to those who serve it and as such they become its hands. This is ideal, in that it is divine, so justice is served by god through man. Which of course is a crock.. but crocks make the world go round. Hmmm.

Why is it necessary to speak of a God as regards justice?

nameless said:
(I'd be happy to insult you, but, oops, you've contributed nothing here to comment upon!)
Seems to me that there is something lacking in a full grown man (if you are) that uses these little smiley faces in his communications.
But, hey, thank you for sharing.
Have a nice day.

It's the net and I think smilies are often quite appropriate to solidify the intention of whatever message you're sending. :bugeye:

Either way... I didn't think you were insulting me at all, but rather agreeing and calling the notion of justice a meme that should die. I agree with that. I always appreciate someone who rushes to my defense though... so thanks anyway to my defender. :)

Back