Justice-Good Behavior

ReighnStorm

The Smoke that Thunders
Registered Senior Member
I would like your opinion about the justice for incarceration

How do you feel about prisiners being let out of prison early because of the so called "Good Behavior" factor when someone is serving prison time for murder......happened in my life/thought it was unfair.....what do yo think ?

The story briefly:Man murdered my father outside our home point blank range in the chest - two shots-......my father was marine in U S.....home for a little while....reason because of argument over yard space....man says he thought my dad was going to shoot him when he reached into his pocket so he shot first......father had no gun....man served 4 years in prison and was let out on good behavior.... :(

So......what do you think about that particular prison rule

Last edited:
ReighnStorm said:
....man says he thought my dad was going to shoot him when he reached into his pocket so he shot first......

Well, you give us no info on which to judge the idea of self-defense. What made the man think that your father was going to harm him? He must have felt some fear of your father, or he wouldn't have had the gun in the first place. Or are you suggesting that it was a premeditated murder, but the courts couldn't prove it or something? Without further info, your situation is impossible to judge.

As for "Good Behavior", I see no reason to change my mind on it. If a person is really trying to be good, to be better, why not give him a break?

Baron Max

It happened in Florida where I'm from......I gave you all the information needed...my father was a marine officer...duhh....he should be feared for that reason....secondly they were arguing...he asked my father to come outside in the middle of the night....thirdly that's the whole point my father was not threatning him...it was cold blooded murder, but not premeditated.......people have gotten life in prison for less than that......You gotta be kidding me......what else do you need to understand it was second degree murder......the man went over there with a gun....there was no self defense case....they called it a senseless murder....the question is good behavior...if someone killed your family member because they were scared of them after they went purposely to their home to argue with them and got out of prison on good behavior after a meager 4 freakin years!! you mean to tell me you would not care that they got out on good behavior.... what about the initial behavior.......???

Last edited:
I despise the prison system. Although I have not been there, most seem described as comfy, or at least more so than they should be. I vote, that if you kill someone I know, you don't get a bed or running water-you get a wet, dark room with the floor to sleep on and a pail in the corner for your excrements, which you get to take out on your own, and another pail to bring your water in.

But, that is just me. Yes, I don't like the good behavior concept either. But, sometimes, some of them most likely do change. That is incredibly hard to tell, however.

Reighn, don't use so many periods and words such as duhh.

Reighn, don't use so many periods and words such as duhh.

Hello......don't tell me how to write or what to say..k..this is a dramatic story and that's your advice...... :bugeye: it's a phase I'm going thru....leave me alone :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I would suggest spelling things correctly also. I believe after your first excessive usage of periods, you said "right" although it appears you meant "write". And, please do not cut words short, especially when you only need to type three more letters. Through instead of thru. Please, for my sake, and for the sake of most others that post here.

ReighnStorm said:

How do you feel about prisiners being let out of prison early because of the so called "Good Behavior" factor when someone is serving prison time for murder......happened in my life/thought it was unfair.....what do yo think ?

The story briefly:Man murdered my father outside our home point blank range in the chest - two shots-......my father was marine in U S.....home for a little while....reason because of argument over yard space....man says he thought my dad was going to shoot him when he reached into his pocket so he shot first......father had no gun....man served 4 years in prison and was let out on good behavior.... :(

I definately dont think its anywhere near reasonable to let people slide for good behaviour who have committed violent crimes. Id be Incredibly pissed off if I were you. Victimless crimes, and non-violent, Im all for the good behaviour thing.

JohnGalt said:
I would suggest spelling things correctly also. I believe after your first excessive usage of periods, you said "right" although it appears you meant "write". And, please do not cut words short, especially when you only need to type three more letters. Through instead of thru. Please, for my sake, and for the sake of most others that post here.

read my previous reply to avoid more dots......................write,right ;)

It depends what your view of the 'justice system' is?

Punishment?

Retribution?

Rehabilitation?

A lot can happen over four years. Its possible that he regrets his actions. Even if he doesn't, I don't see how keeping anyone behind bars for a lifetime makes the world a kinder place. Most who advocate hard time have never been inside a prison.

Forgiveness is a great alternative to 'justice'. That, or you can just kill the fucker yourself, saving the taxpayers some money and the criminal a lifetime of assrape.

ReighnStorm said:

What was the original sentence given?
Was the shooter on your fathers property or his property when the shots were fired?
Had there been other instances of disagreement between these two people?
How old was the shooter at the time?

Last edited:
Yes, it definitely hinges on the purpose of incarceration or any type of punishment. Reighn and Galt have weighed in on the punishment=revenge side of the argument. Revenge is a powerful human emotion and there's a huge faction screaming for it. An eye for an eye, or in the admittedly more subdued version I'm seeing here, a life without freedom or dignity for a life taken.

Yet we're overwhelmed with evidence that a culture of revenge doesn't work; it constantly threatens to destroy itself. This isn't a zero-sum game. There's always one more person whose outrage was never taken into consideration. Everybody has somebody who loves them. When the first Hatfield shot the first McCoy it probably seemed like fair retribution for whatever the McCoy did, but it didn't seem that way to the next generation of McCoys who lost their beloved father at the hands of a Hatfield who everybody knows are the scum of the earth. So in order to have peace and closure, they had to go back and kill all the rotten Hatfields so that this would never happen again. Except they missed a few, and those guys were really pissed off now. A hundred years later Hatfields and McCoys are still killing each other on sight, and the only reason any of them knows for it is that one of the other guys killed one of their loved ones.

Yes this is an American legend, I have no idea how much fact is in it. The point is that if you change the names and the country it is dead-on real. Blood feuds are common, even in civilized places like America, even in some of the oldest civilizations on earth like Mesopotamia. Recall that the definition of a "moderate" Mideasterner is one who only holds a grudge for six generations.

I'm sorry, but revenge is not a civilized reason for punishment. In fact it's something that civilization is supposed to help us rise above, by providing laws and courts and cops to prevent us from being able to deal with criminals personally. Revenge is an infinite outward spiral that ends with entire countries trying to destroy each other. I commend you all for not espousing the death penalty, but for a kid to see his father locked up in the Turkish prison you describe for the rest of his life is not going to make the kid think you are a decent human being, especially when, as he learned at his daddy's knee, your father was a nasty man who was going to die a violent death some day.

He was a Marine, for the goddess's sake! A trained professional killer who always obeyed orders without contemplating whether they were honorable! You really believe the man never perpetrated any evil? Have you missed the last few years' worth of news reports on what military personnel can do under the wrong circumstances? Perhaps your daddy really was a fine man and this was all a horrible misunderstanding, but if his killer has a wife, children, parents, teachers, coaches, ministers, therapists, scoutmasters, I very much doubt that they feel that way.

No, dudes. You've all opted to be members of civilization and that means you leave your primitive instincts like revenge, rape, and peeing in the river back in the jungle. The only valid purposes for punishment are: 1. To reduce the probability of similar crimes being committed again, either by the same perp or by others; and 2. To provide restitution to the victims.

Number 2 is something the American system doesn't deal with very well. There are cultures where the killer would have to support your mom for the rest of his life. Our system is finally allowing civil suits in criminal cases, awarding monetary damages. But actuarial calculations show that the average American's life is valued at around seven million dollars. Very few killers carry that much liability insurance and most of them aren't millionaires. If you lock them up for life they'll never earn enough money to make a dent in that obligation. Most of the damage is emotional anyway, and even in a country where economics is the guiding philosophy, it's difficult to put a price on grief.

We need to work on that. But in the meantime that leaves prevention as the only goal of punishment. Most murders are crimes of passion, one-time things. You could not even bother to arrest the killer and he'd still be less likely to kill again than you and I would be to kill our first victim. Recidivism isn't a real issue so incarceration doesn't do anything for the actual killer. Perhaps watching murderers get punished is a slap in the face to all of us, making us think twice before we go out and commit one. In that case imprisonment does lower the murder rate. Personally I don't think it works that way but it's anybody's guess.

So here's what punishment does and does not accomplish in the average murder case:

1. Maybe deters others from committing the same crime.

2. Very unlikley, deters the perp from committing another murder.

3. Does not provide restitution to the victim's family.

4. Satisfies the victim's loved ones' need for revenge.

5. Creates a thirst for revenge in the loved ones of the perpetrator.

The only vector of any consequence here is number 5. And this is the fatal flaw. This alone guarantees that more crimes will be committed.

Sorry.

milkweed said:
What was the original sentence given?
Was the shooter on your fathers property or his property when the shots were fired?
Had there been other instances of disagreement between these two people?
How old was the shooter at the time?

Second degree murder carries minimum 15 years to life.
maximum 25 years to life.

The shooter was on my fathers property

Yes

In his early twenties, my father was about 27 at the time.

Reighn and Galt have weighed in on the punishment=revenge side of the argument
My question was never about revenge. It is simply (well not simple at all)asking if the good behavior factor was a fair thing in the case of second degree murder. The person had no prior records.

I'm sorry, but revenge is not a civilized reason for punishment. In fact it's something that civilization is supposed to help us rise above, by providing laws and courts and cops to prevent us from being able to deal with criminals personally. Revenge is an infinite outward spiral that ends with entire countries trying to destroy each other
Some things aren't going to be civilized in every case. If that were so then we would be perfect, which we are definately not.

but for a kid to see his father locked up

And 3 daughter's, a wife, a mother and father, 10 brothers,
two sisters etc........ to never see my father again.
This person only lost 4 year of his life for a senseless crime....again I ask the question.......?

He was a Marine, for the goddess's sake! A trained professional killer who always obeyed orders without contemplating whether they were honorable! You really believe the man never perpetrated any evil?

That's no excuse to murder anyone. Especially someone protecting your country with his own life.

ReighnStorm said:
Second degree murder carries minimum 15 years to life.
maximum 25 years to life.

The shooter was on my fathers property

Yes

In his early twenties, my father was about 27 at the time.

I think the shooter should have served more time. To kill a person on their own property, over a lawn arguement, has no justification imho, and violates the idea of "your home is your castle" in the same degree as a thief who shoots someone for catching them in the act of robbing their home.

I do agree with time off for good behavior, but in this case, there hadnt been enough time to even begin to negate the unimaginable pain caused to your family. I would regard this as an insult to my family, were I to be in this situation.

I am sorry for the loss your family endured in this tragedy.

Thanks Milkweed for the last remark and I do agree with you
on good behavior as a reward and that in this case it was too
soon to be justifiable :D

Last edited:
Back