Jury Duty

Bowser

Namaste
Valued Senior Member
I seem to get pegged for jury duty every two years. Why? I just received a questionnaire concerning the possibility of serving on the US District Court. Even though I participate and show up as I should, I never get selected to serve as a juror. It's a colossal waste of my time, and it requires that I go downtown, which is a hassle. I just don't understand why they keep hitting on me. :shrug::shrug:

It's supposed to be random, isn't it?

If you do serve on a jury, at least where I live, that exempts you from selection for a few years after that.

If you do serve on a jury, at least where I live, that exempts you from selection for a few years after that.

Well, that's the thing: I was called upon for the county court about two years ago. I get these things nearly every two years. I wouldn't mind if my employer covered it. My wife's employer covers her time with pay when she has jury duty.

I love jury duty. I feel like such a good citizen. And I get to take off work, they aren't allowed not to let me. Downtown Portland, OR is a fine place to spend an afternoon. I like to go to Good Dog, Bad Dog, a sausage and hot dog joint near Pioneer Square.

Per jurisdiction

James R said:

That is per jurisdiction where in effect. That is, you can be called to city court; or to county court; in this case, Bowser got hit for federal court. That's the first thing to mind, since he didn't mention the valence of his prior duties. They would not necessarily overlap.

Just remember these words when it's time for jury selection:

"Well he's GOTTA be guilty of SOMETHING..."

Instant dismissal.

Well, 2 years is a few years. I think certain jurisdictions don't treat it as random and let's say if you registered for voting, you have a better chance to get called. Or if you messed with the DMV, that is one of their fav places to call from...

There should be someone you can query this to in regards to being pulled up for duty more than your fair share.

Obviously there are some very inventive ways of getting off jury duty, like for instance "streaking", namely stripping off and running through the court, somehow though they might not just turf you off the list but might try to make some example of you, so I wouldn't suggest doing it. (As well as there is the whole bashful factor about swinging around in your Birthday suit.)

I suggest you just throw it away, completely ignore it. If anybody ever ask, you never got or saw it. If you get any intimidation notices about it, same thing.

I guarantee absolutely nothing will ever come of it. There is enough people who do respond that the city or county will not spend a single dollar to track you down and make you comply.

Yeah, I will show up if required. So far they have only asked some questions regarding my background. The last time I was pulled for jury selection, I told the prosecutor that I was soft on certain drugs, that I didn't believe all drugs should be illegal. They turned me loose after that. :D

I answered that , yes, I do have a friend who was permanently disabled by a drunk driver (I do), they cut me free right quick.

A couple of months later I hung in the waiting room with the other jurors while the defendants in 10 cases made a deal with the prosecutors. The judge then thanked us all and sent us home.

I am self - employed, own my own business, make a few hundred $ US a day. They cut me a cheque for about $13 US for each of those cases. Since I am one of those ethical types, I put it off to paying my dues to society and participating in our democracy and held my head up a bit more for my effort after.

I love jury duty. I feel like such a good citizen. And I get to take off work, they aren't allowed not to let me. Downtown Portland, OR is a fine place to spend an afternoon. I like to go to Good Dog, Bad Dog, a sausage and hot dog joint near Pioneer Square.

Portland ! Portland ! Portland ! Dude I lived on a street called South West Taggart Street just off of interstate 5 . Doggy duty my Daughter lives there now . I pictured you living in New York City Spidey . Jury Duty is your civic duty is my take and if you don't want to do it don't vote and you won't be called up to do your civic duty . Voting is your civic duty .
I am "Talking" to the other people that don't do there civic duty Spidey ,not you

I've only been called once, got myself excused from what turned out to be a very long murder trial (with multiple accused), and ended up on a jury for another rather convoluted but interesting criminal case. That one took about two weeks.

I was called four times and I was on three juries. One major crime, one minor crime, and one civil suit.

Yeah, but in how many years? Also, in how big city? If it happened in a small city in 20 years, that sounds to be right, or even low...

I got called once and I sent back the paper that sorry, not a citizen. :)

That tells you just how good their database is...I wouldn't mind to serve if the case is interesting and doesn't last too long, 2-3 days would be fine...

I think that it varies by jurisdiction, but around here (California, Silicon Valley) the jury commissioners compile their lists from voter registrations and driver's licences. If somebody is getting jury summonses unusually often, it might be because their name is recorded slightly differently on the voter's and DMV records, and the computer that generates the summonses is treating them as if they are two people.

I always show up, but I do have very mixed emotions about getting a jury summons.

On one hand, it's kind of exciting, it gives me a real-life look inside the justice system, and I kind of like the feeling that I'm doing my duty as a citizen.

But it's a hassle too, a major inconvenience. Sitting for hours in that jury room, waiting to get called, is stultifyingly boring. Oftentimes they decide that they don't need any more jurors that day and cut everyone loose around noon, before we get sent to a courtroom. When I have been sent upstairs, I haven't actually been chosen for a jury, though I've come awfully close a couple of times. Luckily (or unluckily) one side or the other has used one of their peremptory challenges to reject me. (The fact that I used to work for that county's DA's office usually catches their attention.)

I think they should let people to volunteer. The unemployed and the elderly might find it interesting or society serving. Also they could limit the numbers to 7 or 9, it has to be an odd number for obvious reasons and the minimum number that is still allows for a diversified jury.

And jury nullification should be ALWAYS an option. That basicly means the jury has the right to override the law.

Back