Judgement

Athena

Athena
Registered Senior Member
How do you decide how you feel about someone?
Meaning, how do judge whether they're a 'good' person or not?
Like, how can someone ever automatically hate someone the first time they meet them for some unknown reason--i'm not condemning that--but it happens. why?
Moreover: do we have that right-to hate? or to kill because we hate?

I dont get it.

1: You don't. You simply feel.
2: You judge based upon how much you've been indoctrinated, and how much you've learned.
3: They can only hate without knowledge if they have previously been brainwashed into a prejudicial state.
4: Yes, and yes. As autonomous beings, we have the ability to do as we choose. There is no such thing as a 'right' outside of the realm of law.

glaucon said:
3: They can only hate without knowledge if they have previously been brainwashed into a prejudicial state.
i dont understand this. but haven't you ever automatically hated someone? or at least really disliked them, without knowing them or ever have even spoken? Don't you ever get that-well, (for lack of a better word:) 'vibe'?
i guess that kinda turns it into one of those 'predestined' questions. but i dont beleive in that.

Just treat other as you want them to treat you and if they treat you badly then just leave them alone.

yeah i get that whole vibe thing...i have sooo many times instinctively liked or disliked ppl..u can even get neutral vibes..n most of the time..these gut feelings r right..
i guess its just our animal instinct or intuition or some kind of in-built mechanism while interacting with another being..maybe its just their body language..or past experiences with ppl who behaved in a similar manner etc..
i also think us women understand it better.....maybe its part of our women's intuition :)

You judge whether they are good or bad by whether they have the same morals you do. If they hold the same morals, and exact them to a better degree than you do, you can usually find them better and therefore good(and likable). It also gives you something to work for(assuming that someone holding your morals, only better, would motivate you to reach the same so that they would bother looking at you). Either that, or they hold a different set of morals which you find better than your own, and are willing to switch to.

People immediately hating? Well, this can be caused by lots of things. Body language, asecclesiastes said something about, can reflect a person's morals. If you see that those morals are much lower than your own, or of a different, worse set of morals, you will be bound to hate them. Sometimes, it takes more than just sight, things like their manner of speaking, the way they talk, what they talk about(how they begin talking about something or how they continue to do so). If these show a reverse of your morals, then you are likely to hate them. These things may come off of gut feelings, but they are not.

Do we have a right to hate? You bet we do. A person of the correct morals has every right to hate those who have the wrong morals or who exact their own pathetically. You can hate-but you hate them in such a way that they notice it, but can still bear listening to you. Hate in that way will lead to a possible turn around-but if you hate them in such a way that they won't listen to you, they're not going to change to fit your views. Also, to do this, you better make sure your morals are the right ones. If they aren't, well, it's unjustified. No killing them for it.

i am not so sure if its just body language..
there could be a guy who behaves like a perfect gentleman....polite,nice,cheerful etc
but then there is something inside you saying THERES THIS FISHY ABOUT HIM?
thats just plain gut feeling....and you are wary about this guy...i really really think women understand this vibe thing better.

I think it comes down to whether you are generally happy with who you are, people tend to judge when they are insecure about themselves, or the complete opposite, where they love themselves and judge everyone who is below their status.

Experience with the person leads to legitimate judgements. You need to have something to reference. Many people categorize others, and go on stereotypes, but that's certainly no way to experience the world of people.

cosmictraveler said:
Just treat other as you want them to treat you and if they treat you badly then just leave them alone.

But by then, it might be too late?! What do you do then?

No, it's best to "judge" them first, by general appearance and demeanor, then try to treat them as you want to be treated, but remain wary of being fucked over and screwed big time! If you don't watch out for yourself, no one else will do it either.

Baron Max

Most people have preconceived notions that initiate hatred. For some, it can be racial, sexual or any other set of characteristics. For others, it might be installed in them from a bad experience or from parental coaching. Some people hate others that remind them of someone who mistreated them in the past.

You have the right to hate, at least in America. You don't have the right to use that hatred to discriminate in hiring, rent, etc. What people seem to forget is that we must tolerate the intolerant.

No one ever has the right to kill, though we have the physical ability.

That's a big joke coming from the biggest hater here.
Try telling that to yourself one day, and maybe you will say something worthwhile.
All you seem to know is hate, and it consumes you. You really need some professional help.

Back