Judge Explains Ex-Cop's Sentence

goofyfish

Analog By Birth, Digital By Design
Valued Senior Member
A judge who sentenced a former Orlando sex-crimes detective to house arrest for having sexual encounters with a 14-year-old girl compared the officer's conduct to that of President Clinton and his own chief judge.

To the girl, who was upset with the lenient sentence, Orange Circuit Judge John H. Adams said: "You've been dealt a bad hand. But not the worst hand. You're not growing up in Afghanistan. You can rise above this."

Edwin "Ed" Mann, a former leader in Cops for Christ, could have been sentenced to 26 years in prison for having sex with the girl in his police car, hotels and her bedroom while her parents were away.
Monica Lewinsky was 23 years old. This made Clinton's and Lewinsky's sexual acts 100% legal. This cop was having sex with a 14 year old, that is a felony, and this judge can't see the difference?
In the transcript, the judge calls the girl a "survivor" instead of a victim. "You really aren't a weak, helpless, broken person," he told her, "and you're not damaged." (Full text here)
I guess Judge Adams’ idea of compassionate application of the law can be summarized as, “Get over it.”

Peace.

The cop should be castrated, publicly flogged, and put in prison with other rapists. The judge should be molested by some big hairy men, and if he complains, well, he's not broken or damaged, he'll rise above it.

Do we wonder?

Do we wonder why politically-appointed and confirmed judges are subject to such scrutiny these days? Of course, this guy would make it or not based on his views about abortion, but I don't give a rat's behind about his law degree or any distinguished career which may or may not have gotten him to his present bench. Specifically, how am I supposed to respect this guy?

However, for the record, the worst I've ever heard of was a judge in Wisconsin who, about 1985, acquitted a man of sex crimes with a 3 year-old because the girl "behaved promiscuously".

Relevance being what it was, how she learned to behave that way was not ever explored.

One thing I've learned over the years is that if you're charged with a sex crime involving a minor, to seek a trial by judge and not jury. You can get away with a lot more when you play by the edge of legal interpretation, and that only bugs a jury. Judges are strange in their verdicts; I've seen a child rape case acquitted because the victim didn't scream loudly enough.

I would love to see a federal-level appointee get ripped to shreds over something like this.

In the meantime, we see how great a president we apparently had in Bill Clinton; it's two years later and people are still willing to stake themselves in order to get their swings in.

Added on Edit:
Mann, who now works in a greenhouse for $8 an hour, apparently knew the girl from church and because she had dated his teenage son. Their sexual encounters started in July 2000 and ended the following January, according to court records.
I'm telling you all now to put aside theological and atheistic assertions regarding church and to keep in mind that churches are awful places for children. You never know what kind of scum they'll meet there.

thanx,
Tiassa :cool:

Back